Re: New Edition of The One-Straw Revolution

  • kornld45
    Message 1 of 18 , May 16 12:14 AM
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@...> wrote:

      Hi, Fran,
      Nice to hear from you and about your radio program. Good on you! (I have a few Australian friends). No tillage is the way to go for so many reasons.
      Larry

      > Hi Larry,
      >
      > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
      >
      > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
      >
      > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Fran :)
      >

      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, all,
      > > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
      > > Larry Korn

    • kornld45
      Message 2 of 18 , May 16 12:26 AM
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@...> wrote:
        Hi, again, Fran,
        I just received a copy of the new edition from the publisher and it looks great. Release date is June 2nd. Post your email address and perhaps I can participate in one of your broadcasts.
        Larry>

        > Hi Larry,
        >
        > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
        >
        > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
        >
        > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Fran :)
        >

        > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, all,
        > > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
        > > Larry Korn

      • Fran
        Message 3 of 18 , May 16 9:12 PM
          Hi Larry,

          Very much looking fwd to reading the book when it arrives, and purchased a couple more in case any friends from our local permaculture group (or anyone on ebay, Australia!) are interested.

          I'm particularly thrilled to hear about Fukuoka-san's gardening methods which I have only heard about here and there in recent times, as I have a 50% Japanese heritage. My mother. And I was born in and still live in the same country as Bill Mollison & David Holmgren, the 'originators' of the "Permaculture" concept.

          A friend from our permie group who will be co-hosting next week's show with the NO DIG theme, reminded me about Fukuoka's gardening methods, and so I joined this Fukuoka-Farming group last week.

          I would love to have you on our show, but it's only a small local community radio with a limited budget and completely voluntary staff. We could only interview you by phone within Australia, or if you came into our studio. If you are ever in Melbourne, Australia, you'd be most welcome to use our guest room and sit in on our Saturday program. Btw, I also present a monthly 30minute permaculture show called "Living by Design", 2nd Mon/month, 5.30-6.30pm EST.

          If anyone else in this group is interested in hearing any of our shows, you can either listen live online www.3wbc.org.au worldwide, or if you have a Facebook page, you can search for "3wbc", and join the group which I created last week. It will be updated weekly, and you will be informed when podcasts have been uploaded to our webpage.

          Cheers,
          Fran :)
          www.franipeni.com.au

          -- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@> wrote:
          > Hi, again, Fran,
          > I just received a copy of the new edition from the publisher and it looks great. Release date is June 2nd. Post your email address and perhaps I can participate in one of your broadcasts.
          > Larry>
          >

          > > Hi Larry,
          > >
          > > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
          > >
          > > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
          > >
          > > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Fran :)
        • George.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 17 12:35 AM
            Fran

            When you have the no dig pod cast up, do let us know.

            That reminds me, Hamilton Community radio here in NZ has a weekly enviroment hour - "Environment Matters". A couple of new presenters, one who looks very, aheam, promising. Going to do a red-green theme once a month. He'll try to do a Fukuoka themed show at some point. Podcasts from:
            http://www.communityradio.co.nz/results_special.asp

            when you have the
            Very much looking fwd to reading the book when it arrives, and purchased a couple more in case any friends from our local permaculture group (or anyone on ebay, Australia!) are interested.

            I'm particularly thrilled to hear about Fukuoka-san's gardening methods which I have only heard about here and there in recent times, as I have a 50% Japanese heritage. My mother. And I was born in and still live in the same country as Bill Mollison & David Holmgren, the 'originators' of the "Permaculture" concept.

            A friend from our permie group who will be co-hosting next week's show with the NO DIG theme, reminded me about Fukuoka's gardening methods, and so I joined this Fukuoka-Farming group last week.

            I would love to have you on our show, but it's only a small local community radio with a limited budget and completely voluntary staff. We could only interview you by phone within Australia, or if you came into our studio. If you are ever in Melbourne, Australia, you'd be most welcome to use our guest room and sit in on our Saturday program. Btw, I also present a monthly 30minute permaculture show called "Living by Design", 2nd Mon/month, 5.30-6.30pm EST.

            If anyone else in this group is interested in hearing any of our shows, you can either listen live online www.3wbc.org.au worldwide, or if you have a Facebook page, you can search for "3wbc", and join the group which I created last week. It will be updated weekly, and you will be informed when podcasts have been uploaded to our webpage.

            Cheers,
            Fran :)
            www.franipeni.com.au

            -- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@> wrote:
            > Hi, again, Fran,
            > I just received a copy of the new edition from the publisher and it looks great. Release date is June 2nd. Post your email address and perhaps I can participate in one of your broadcasts.
            > Larry>
            >

            > > Hi Larry,
            > >
            > > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
            > >
            > > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
            > >
            > > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Fran :)

          • kornld45
            Message 5 of 18 , May 17 11:43 PM
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@...> wrote:
              >Thanks for the invitation, Fran. Who knows...I may be in Australia again sometime soon. I hope your no-dig presentation goes well!
              Larry Korn

> [...]
              > > Larry>
              > >

              > > > Hi Larry,
              > > >
              > > > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
              > > >
              > > > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.

            • macropneuma
              Message 6 of 18 , May 18 2:28 AM
                Yo Fran,
                Welcome here so much - as another Australian ('Ozzie').
                I'm Jason, originally from 'Melbourne-growing-up', nearly moved to live & get married with a Japanese love-of-my-life 8 years ago, but didn't, ... .
                Now have a nature-farm, in the spirit of Fukuoka, Masanobu Sensei and Indigneous Ozzie's & Papua-New-Guinean's farming inspiration.
                -Nature-farm in Cann Valley, far east Gippsland -just before lovely Mallacoota-. -Working in Sydney nowadays (ecologist and computer mapping (GIS) for Local Gov't).
                Guerilla-gardening is growing big here in Syd. now -i love the Ozzie-political-irreverence of it-
                An older (60s?) woman greenie friend of mine in Brighton, Melbourne used sneak around council parks in the middle of the night and pull up newly-planted-by-council seedling-trees (just planted from pots) which weren't local native spp., eg. Eucalyptus nicholi's or Euc. cladocalyx's, and then replace them, planting local native tree spp. like Euc. radiata and Euc. camaldulensis (respectively) in their holes - so cool a 60-something-year-old lady and game-as-all too! -the council park-mowing staff couldn't tell the difference- hahahahaha :). She should be on your program!, anonymously promoting such activities haha!
                I love the Sandringham area heathlands & such, where i grew up and learned the plant spp. as a teenager-field-botanist, intensely-actively working there for many years - but now i'm loving the Sydney sandstone heathlands and bushlands up here, and working everyday with great bushland staff, and the fantastic forests of East Gippsland... in which i grow food, both native & introduced vegetables, and native animals.

                Great 'exotic' gardens on your website photos!

                Welcome again, see ya 'round & writing-more on here i hope,

                Jase.

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@...> wrote:

                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
                >
                > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
                >
                > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Fran :)
                >

                > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi, all,
                > > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
                > > Larry Korn

              • macropneuma
                Message 7 of 18 , May 18 2:35 AM
                  Great news Larry.
                  Great news that you join us here, with great humility on your part - thank you.
                  Raju Titus is here Larry - Indian friend of Fukuoka, Masanobu Sensei and legendary nature/natural-farmer and great adviser now, here to us all. Gathering many Indian farmers into Fukuoka-inspired practices. Greek friends of Fukuoka, Masanobu Sensei are here too. Etcetera.

                  Tilling, in the gross sense, is simply wrong! thank you. and wrong-headed! Even if short-term cash/commodity/consumer crops are made available by it. It consumes the earth to destruction of all consumers.

                  See ya more here, please.

                  Thanks Jase.

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, all,
                  > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
                  > Larry Korn

                • Fran
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 18 6:46 AM
                    Hi again, Larry,

                    Via email I mentioned your offer to participate in one of our (The Good Earth) sustainable gardening or (Living By Design - LBD) permaculture programs to our executive producer. She responded, and I quote:

                    "Hi Fran

                    No problem with interviewing anyone anywhere in the world as I just buy a phone card - the local time issues are the only problem, not the cost of the call. Where would he be - Japan? the time difference might be double for the garden show...?? Or perhaps if the timing is better for LBD - we would always do both!

                    Let's see what we can do - sounds great."

                    I think because I mentioned Fukuoka-san, she had the impression you might be Japan-based, but I guess you're in the US?

                    Our live streaming website is: www.3wbc.org.au

                    What a "Wonderful World Media Network" site is: www.wwmn.net.

                    You can check my newly created Facebook group search under "3wbc" for weekly updated information.

                    I look fwd to further communication with you, Larry!
                    Warm regards,
                    Fran Penna
                    www.franipeni.com.au

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Fran" <franipeni@> wrote:
                    > Hi, again, Fran,
                    > I just received a copy of the new edition from the publisher and it looks great. Release date is June 2nd. Post your email address and perhaps I can participate in one of your broadcasts.
                    > Larry>
                    >

                    > > Hi Larry,
                    > >
                    > > I'm freshly new to the group, too!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the info about the latest edition of "The One Straw Revolution". I checked it out on Amazon, and put in a pre-order for 3 copies. Pre-order price is very good!
                    > >
                    > > I present a one hour sustainable gardening show called "The Good Earth" on 94.1FM 3WBC in Melbourne, Australia every Saturday morning 10-11am (actually did one this morning on organic/biodynamic wine growing, and pretty much anything to do on the theme of growing your own table/wine grapes). Interview two very informative guests. The show can be heard live worldwide on: www.3wbc.org.au. We'll be uploading podcasts shortly. Next week we'll be talking about the no-dig garden, including Fukuoka-san and his methods, and of course the concept of permaculture.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers,
                    > > Fran :)
                    > >

                    > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, all,
                    > > > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
                    > > > Larry Korn

                  • Fran
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 18 6:48 AM
                      Hi ? (no name provided),

                      Yes, will let this group know when the NO DIG podcast is up and running. Still waiting for a podcast on composting to be posted from 2 weeks ago!

                      Hopefully the NO DIG program will be worthy of this group ;)

                      Cheers,
                      Fran :)

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "George.com" <roblyn@...> wrote:

                      > Fran
                      >
                      > When you have the no dig pod cast up, do let us know.
                      >
                      > That reminds me, Hamilton Community radio here in NZ has a weekly enviroment hour - "Environment Matters". A couple of new presenters, one who looks very, aheam, promising. Going to do a red-green theme once a month. He'll try to do a Fukuoka themed show at some point. Podcasts from:
                      > http://www.communityradio.co.nz/results_special.asp
                      >

                      > when you have the

                    • Fran
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 18 7:17 AM
                        Thanks, Larry, so do I!
                        Just have to get down and do some decent research on top of my own experiences :)

                        Look fwd to meeting you in the near future.
                        Cheers,
                        Fran :)

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

                        Thanks for the invitation, Fran. Who knows...I may be in Australia again sometime soon. I hope your no-dig presentation goes well!
                        > Larry Korn
                        >
                        > > Hi Larry,
                        > >
                        > > Very much looking fwd to reading the book when it arrives, and purchased a couple more in case any friends from our local permaculture group (or anyone on ebay, Australia!) are interested.
                        > >
                        > > I'm particularly thrilled to hear about Fukuoka-san's gardening methods which I have only heard about here and there in recent times, as I have a 50% Japanese heritage. My mother. And I was born in and still live in the same country as Bill Mollison & David Holmgren, the 'originators' of the "Permaculture" concept.
                        > >
                        > > A friend from our permie group who will be co-hosting next week's show with the NO DIG theme, reminded me about Fukuoka's gardening methods, and so I joined this Fukuoka-Farming group last week.
                        > >
                        > > I would love to have you on our show, but it's only a small local community radio with a limited budget and completely voluntary staff. We could only interview you by phone within Australia, or if you came into our studio. If you are ever in Melbourne, Australia, you'd be most welcome to use our guest room and sit in on our Saturday program. Btw, I also present a monthly 30minute permaculture show called "Living by Design", 2nd Mon/month, 5.30-6.30pm EST.
                        > >
                        > > If anyone else in this group is interested in hearing any of our shows, you can either listen live online www.3wbc.org.au worldwide, or if you have a Facebook page, you can search for "3wbc", and join the group which I created last week. It will be updated weekly, and you will be informed when podcasts have been uploaded to our webpage.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > Fran :)
                        > > www.franipeni.com.au
                      • Fran
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 18 4:05 PM
                          Hi Jase,
                          For some reason, my msg to you didn't go through last night. Some fault? Good thing went backward, cut & pasted it, and saved it as a doc to send you today when I saw the msg didn't go through this morning...

                          Hi Jase,

                          Many thanks for your hearty Aussie welcome, and your interesting personal introduction.

                          I'm pretty sure I gained my green thumbs from my Japanese born - though proudly Australian - mum! She has a stunning garden in Mont Albert North, Victoria.

                          I'm wondering how I might get a copy of "The One Straw Revolution" in Japanese for my mum to read? Maybe ebay?

                          So you have a nature-farm in Cann River, but live and work in Sydney? That's a long way to travel between habitats!

                          Have you watched the Guerilla Gardeners show on TV? They're such a talented, creative and passionate lot! There's always been that Aussie political irreverence, and we're proud of it! ;P

                          I can just visualise a well-dressed woman from upmarket Brighton out there sneaking a bit of illegal gardening at night! LOL!

                          I'm gaining a greater appreciation of our indigenous plants, especially the bush-tucker variety, particularly good in a permaculture garden. There's a plant from the myrtaceae family that produces blueberry type fruit. Very nice, though some of my friends lost theirs during the heat of last summer :(

                          Thanks for comments on my website photo gallery.
                          Wish I knew how to update that gallery. A friend set up that website about years ago? and one of my clients recently taught me how to update print, but not photos. Would love to upload more permaculture based photos, designer small garden vegie plots, vertically growing edibles in small spaces, etc, etc.

                          My upwardly mobile QLD Blue pumpkin vine - with pumpkin - featured on the front cover of the large local glossy magazine "The Melbourne Weekly Magazine" back in March this year as part of a permaculture feature!

                          Catch you 'round, Jase!

                          Cheers,
                          Fran :)

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "macropneuma" <macropneuma@...> wrote:

                          > Yo Fran,
                          > Welcome here so much - as another Australian ('Ozzie').
                          > I'm Jason, originally from 'Melbourne-growing-up', nearly moved to live & get married with a Japanese love-of-my-life 8 years ago, but didn't, ... .
                          > Now have a nature-farm, in the spirit of Fukuoka, Masanobu Sensei and Indigneous Ozzie's & Papua-New-Guinean's farming inspiration.
                          > -Nature-farm in Cann Valley, far east Gippsland -just before lovely Mallacoota-. -Working in Sydney nowadays (ecologist and computer mapping (GIS) for Local Gov't).
                          > Guerilla-gardening is growing big here in Syd. now -i love the Ozzie-political-irreverence of it-
                          > An older (60s?) woman greenie friend of mine in Brighton, Melbourne used sneak around council parks in the middle of the night and pull up newly-planted-by-council seedling-trees (just planted from pots) which weren't local native spp., eg. Eucalyptus nicholi's or Euc. cladocalyx's, and then replace them, planting local native tree spp. like Euc. radiata and Euc. camaldulensis (respectively) in their holes - so cool a 60-something-year-old lady and game-as-all too! -the council park-mowing staff couldn't tell the difference- hahahahaha :). She should be on your program!, anonymously promoting such activities haha!
                          > I love the Sandringham area heathlands & such, where i grew up and learned the plant spp. as a teenager-field-botanist, intensely-actively working there for many years - but now i'm loving the Sydney sandstone heathlands and bushlands up here, and working everyday with great bushland staff, and the fantastic forests of East Gippsland... in which i grow food, both native & introduced vegetables, and native animals.
                          >
                          > Great 'exotic' gardens on your website photos!
                          >
                          > Welcome again, see ya 'round & writing-more on here i hope,
                          >
                          > Jase.
                        • alan.zulch
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 20 9:57 PM
                            Dear Larry,

                            A few months ago I was given a pdf version of One Straw Revolution and after reading the first pages realized I had to have the original, so I found a used copy online. What an amazing book! I was so impressed I tracked down used copies of all of the rest of Fukuoka-san's books. I also put in an advance order for the new OSR printing on Amazon, which I look forward to receiving before long.

                            One of the people that really impressed me from reading One Straw Revolution was, well, you! Your introduction, editing and translation of the original was superb on all levels and undoubtedly enabled English speakers to really grasp Fukuoka-san's nuances and character.

                            I wondered where you were now, yet I just didn't expect to see you "surface" here! What a pleasant surprise.

                            So, kudos and heartfelt gratitude to you for all that you have done in making this critical information available to broader numbers of people. I'm hoping and trusting that this second printing will really resonate with the increasingly receptive Western audiences.

                            Best regards,
                            Alan Zulch
                            (http://www.globalonenessproject.org)

                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@...> wrote:

                            > Hi, all,
                            > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
                            > Larry Korn

                          • kornld45
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 26 9:36 PM
                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "alan.zulch" <alan@...> wrote:
                              >Thanks, Alan, It took a while to get the English translation to read as effectively as the Japanese edition. We spent about three years on it, but we all wanted to get it right. I live in Oregon now. Since my daughter graduated from high school and went off to college it has freed me up to do more work to promote Fukuoka's natural farming as well as permaculture, local agriculture and other sustainable community work. It's good to be back.
                              Larry
                              > Dear Larry,
                              >
                              > A few months ago I was given a pdf version of One Straw Revolution and after reading the first pages realized I had to have the original, so I found a used copy online. What an amazing book! I was so impressed I tracked down used copies of all of the rest of Fukuoka-san's books. I also put in an advance order for the new OSR printing on Amazon, which I look forward to receiving before long.
                              >
                              > One of the people that really impressed me from reading One Straw Revolution was, well, you! Your introduction, editing and translation of the original was superb on all levels and undoubtedly enabled English speakers to really grasp Fukuoka-san's nuances and character.
                              >
                              > I wondered where you were now, yet I just didn't expect to see you "surface" here! What a pleasant surprise.
                              >
                              > So, kudos and heartfelt gratitude to you for all that you have done in making this critical information available to broader numbers of people. I'm hoping and trusting that this second printing will really resonate with the increasingly receptive Western audiences.
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Alan Zulch
                              > (http://www.globalonenessproject.org)
                              >
                              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "kornld45" <kornld45@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi, all,
                              > > I am a new member to the group. I thought some of you might be interested in the fact that a new printing of Masanobu Fukuoka's The One-Straw Revolution is at the printer and will be released by The New York Review of Books on June 2nd. Finally! It is just like the Rodale edition (1978) but it also has a new introduction by Frances Moore Lappe (Diet for a Small Planet) and a lovely "Note to Readers" which Sensei wrote for a 1986 Japanese edition of One-Straw.
                              > > Larry Korn

                            • Nandakumar
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 27 6:12 AM
                                Hi Larry,

                                Nice to see you in this group. It will be interesting to get information from people who have lived in Fukuoka's farm/hut.

                                Regards,
                                Nandan