The One Straw Revolution

  • cyara2408
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2009
      Hello Everyone,

      So fun to have a group of people so interested in farming sustainably. And thank you for including me too!

      This is my first post so a little about my journey here. I first got interested in Fukuoka-San because of a video I watched where his "Seed balls" were demonstrated. I am very interested in Permiculture and this seemed to fit right in with those principles. I am now reading "The One Straw Revolution". What a fascinating read! What a lovely man! So determined to find a better way even when he had many set-backs in the beginning. His honesty gives inspiration to his readers to try no matter how many times things don't work. A unique indiviual... well we all are... but he is content in his uniqueness .... not so commonly encouraged today.

      But, anyway, over time he grew in understanding about his particular ecology until he now has only a positive impact on his environment. He took hard red clay mountainside that had been ruined with unsustainable potato farming.. and in 10 years restored it to a 4 inch cover of top-soil. He grows with weeds between. He welcomes weeds. A truly innovative man. Lovely book. So glad I still have some left to read! :)

      I am coming to the conclusion that each ecology has to be studied and adapted to. My thoughts are that I don't think we can do absolutely everything exactly as Fukuoka-San does. Some of what he does is easily transferrable elsewhere but other stuff might not be. definitely no-till... definitely mulching but with what is best at hand so not necessarily straw.... I am still reading and pondering his little use of manuring... he just seems to use a little chicken manure... and that is only because he no longer has chickens running through. His whole philosphy is simply .... don't do what nature will do for you better! My kind of guy! Life is for poetry too!

      I think what I am getting most out of his book is that applying his kind of patience and respect for nature has bountiful benefits not understood by agri-business. He makes me want to venture out into my world and watch and learn and enjoy and keep trying. I have started a food forest based around Moringa trees. I have a long way to go but I know I will enjoy the journey so much more now that I have met up with this remarkable man... although it only be in print.

      What do you think? :) Has anyone adapted things differently? and if so... why? Just a newbie to this particular philosophy... even permiculture... so would love to hear.

      Ooops! Sorry for the long post... have written a book!

      Chelle
      South Africa
    • kornld45
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2009
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "cyara2408" <Chelle248@...> wrote:
        >Hello, Chelle, I'm so glad you have enjoyed reading The One-Straw Revolution. I had the same impression as you when I read the book for the first time. I spent several years at Fukuoka's farm in the early 1970's so I can tell you that Fukuoka-san was a bright, energetic man...full of life and on a mission from the morning he had that remarkable revelation on the bluff overlooking Yokohama harbor. I have found that his philosophy extends beyond farming to every aspect of one's everyday life. So glad you liked the book!!
        Larry Korn
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > So fun to have a group of people so interested in farming sustainably. And thank you for including me too!
        >
        > This is my first post so a little about my journey here. I first got interested in Fukuoka-San because of a video I watched where his "Seed balls" were demonstrated. I am very interested in Permiculture and this seemed to fit right in with those principles. I am now reading "The One Straw Revolution". What a fascinating read! What a lovely man! So determined to find a better way even when he had many set-backs in the beginning. His honesty gives inspiration to his readers to try no matter how many times things don't work. A unique indiviual... well we all are... but he is content in his uniqueness .... not so commonly encouraged today.
        >
        > But, anyway, over time he grew in understanding about his particular ecology until he now has only a positive impact on his environment. He took hard red clay mountainside that had been ruined with unsustainable potato farming.. and in 10 years restored it to a 4 inch cover of top-soil. He grows with weeds between. He welcomes weeds. A truly innovative man. Lovely book. So glad I still have some left to read! :)
        >
        > I am coming to the conclusion that each ecology has to be studied and adapted to. My thoughts are that I don't think we can do absolutely everything exactly as Fukuoka-San does. Some of what he does is easily transferrable elsewhere but other stuff might not be. definitely no-till... definitely mulching but with what is best at hand so not necessarily straw.... I am still reading and pondering his little use of manuring... he just seems to use a little chicken manure... and that is only because he no longer has chickens running through. His whole philosphy is simply .... don't do what nature will do for you better! My kind of guy! Life is for poetry too!
        >
        > I think what I am getting most out of his book is that applying his kind of patience and respect for nature has bountiful benefits not understood by agri-business. He makes me want to venture out into my world and watch and learn and enjoy and keep trying. I have started a food forest based around Moringa trees. I have a long way to go but I know I will enjoy the journey so much more now that I have met up with this remarkable man... although it only be in print.
        >
        > What do you think? :) Has anyone adapted things differently? and if so... why? Just a newbie to this particular philosophy... even permiculture... so would love to hear.
        >
        > Ooops! Sorry for the long post... have written a book!
        >
        > Chelle
        > South Africa

      • Asit Sahu
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2009
          Hello All

          Fukuoka's book "The One Straw Revolution " can be downloaded from my website in pdf format

          http://www.rainwaterharvesting.in/%c2%a0.

          Asit

          New Email names for you!
          Hurry before someone else does!