"In Hard Times, Japan Delves to Its Roots"

  • Ohkubo-Covert
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2009
      Hello again friends,

      As a sort of follow-up to that recent New York Times article on the
      agriculture "crisis" here in Japan, just today another story on
      Japanese farms has come out in today's NYT/International Herald
      Tribune....

      "In Hard Times, Japan Delves to Its Roots"
      > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/world/asia/15iht-farmer.html?
      > scp=3&sq=Japan&st=cse

      This time, the focus of the story is on how city folks in Japan, in
      desperate need of jobs, are taking jobs on farms out in the
      countryside of Japan. For young Japanese working people, especially,
      they are seeing a world that they literally had no idea existed before.

      Like the other recent NYT article I shared with you, this one notes
      the "inefficient" farms here ("Japanese farming is a picture of
      inefficiency") and how the Japanese government is trying to kill two
      birds with one stone in these kind of *inaka* work programs.

      One could read different things into this article, but for me, again
      I think of Fukuoka being far ahead of his time in allowing young
      people come to his farm to learn what true natural farming is all
      about. If only many more people had woken up and taken to heart
      Fukuoka's practical teachings back then, one wonders if this current
      farming "crisis" in Japan could have at least been reduced to some
      degree.

      Just thought I'd share this one with you as well.

      Enjoy,

      Brian Ohkubo Covert
      Kawanishi, Hyogo, Japan