wild oats

  • gunther1753
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2009
      all spring i've been harvesting and eating wild foods like nettles, docks, plantain, sorrel, wild garlic, chick weed. they are abundant on my 2 acre field and surrounding hedges and woodland, and i'm sure there are plenty more edible weeds around, i dont know of yet.
      since i'm surrounded by sheep pasture for miles, and there is no crop farming going on, apart from the odd field of canola rape, i am considering introducing some wild oat seeds, and let nature take its course.
      i suspect this would be considered madness or even a crime, but i understand wild oats are edible, just very small seeds and difficult to harvest. to me , in this day and age, less could mean more, and i would happily live on wild oats porridge and nettles.
      all comments appreciated.
      regards guenther