Re: [fukuoka_farming] Land needed per family

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2009
      Hi Damodar,

      Here is another calculation of land requirement for a family of 5 by late Prof. Dhabolkar. According to this 10,000 sq ft (1/4 th of an acre) is enough for a family of 5 from the energy calculation point.  This project is called as 10 Guntha experiment and there are couple of locations where this experiment is going on..

      I have bought 6 acres of land even though I am aware of this calculation, because a sudden change to a different life style becomes difficult.

      Here are some links related to

      http://www.prayogpariwar.net/pros20.htm
      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articlesho/3792144.cms

      http://www.boloji.com/wfs6/2008/wfs1173.htm

      1 One
      man needs 2500 Kilo Cal.

      2 Solar energy gives 1250 Kilo Cal per Sq. ft. Per day eight hours.

      3 Matured green leaves harvest only 1% of it.

      4 So 100 sq. ft. for one meal.

      5 We need food as well as some firewood, cloth, oil etc. it comes to 1400
      Sq.ft.

      We live in a family of five members per family so 7000 Sq.ft

      6 We also need shelter and water each requires 1000 Sq.ft.

      7 Storing place and free place for play 500 Sq.ft. for each Total 10,000

      Regards,
      Nandan