Move Out Of IT

  • vincenzo1881
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
      Hello to All
      Recently I joined this group and I glad to be hear.
      I am Italian - 45 – employed in IT industry in UK
      My goal is to move out of IT and to became a Farmer.
      Now Leaning about Fukuoka and Permaculure philosophy
      This is a life-change project nothing less, to me.
      I really would appreciate any business proposal (to my private address as well)
      If yourself or you somebody that is interest to discuss about this project - I am open to any suggestion.
      I am ready to move any to: Europe / America Latina
      Many Thanks and regards
      Enzo
      (Vincenzo Imparato - Cheshire Enlgand)
    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
        You will need to be careful as to your choice of country. Some of the Latin American countries, as I recall, have some sort of agreement with Monsanto, or some company, to provide only Genetically Modified seeds for growing in that country. I read this a while ago, so I could be wrong...out of date on this now. I can't remember which country/countries were involved.

        You might try apprenticing at a Natural Farm in Europe before making this move. That way you will know if you are any good at it before making a totally life-changing decision and relocation.

        There are some on this list who may be able to help you in that...at least for a few weeks of your vacation, etc.

        The first year or two may not see the profits, or yields that you would like as it is. Takes time. Depends much on the soil that is on the land you purchase.

        Gloria, Texas
        USA

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "vincenzo1881" <vincenzo1881@...> wrote:

        > Hello to All
        > Recently I joined this group and I glad to be hear.
        > I am Italian - 45 – employed in IT industry in UK
        > My goal is to move out of IT and to became a Farmer.
        > Now Leaning about Fukuoka and Permaculure philosophy
        > This is a life-change project nothing less, to me.
        > I really would appreciate any business proposal (to my private address as well)
        > If yourself or you somebody that is interest to discuss about this project - I am open to any suggestion.
        > I am ready to move any to: Europe / America Latina
        > Many Thanks and regards
        > Enzo
        > (Vincenzo Imparato - Cheshire Enlgand)

      • Tradingpost
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
          To that good advice let me add start growing where you are first. You want
          to be realistic with the feel and frustrations before moving on to bigger
          things. I've found that growing in more than one or two places is an
          education in itself. Let nature be your teacher as fukuoka did. Translating
          Fukuoka and Permaculure principles into real growing involves a physical
          kind of learning, and as always the Devil is in the details. It's often the
          little things that'll frustrate you.

          paul tradingpost@...

          On 4/6/2009 at 4:57 PM Gloria C. Baikauskas wrote:

          >You will need to be careful as to your choice of country. Some of the
          >Latin American countries, as I recall, have some sort of agreement with
          >Monsanto, or some company, to provide only Genetically Modified seeds for
          >growing in that country. I read this a while ago, so I could be
          >wrong...out of date on this now. I can't remember which country/countries
          >were involved.
          >
          >You might try apprenticing at a Natural Farm in Europe before making this
          >move. That way you will know if you are any good at it before making a
          >totally life-changing decision and relocation.
          >
          >There are some on this list who may be able to help you in that...at least
          >for a few weeks of your vacation, etc.
          >
          >The first year or two may not see the profits, or yields that you would
          >like as it is. Takes time. Depends much on the soil that is on the land
          >you purchase.
          >
          >Gloria, Texas
          >USA
          >
          >--- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "vincenzo1881" <vincenzo1881@...>
          >wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello to All
          >> Recently I joined this group and I glad to be hear.
          >> I am Italian - 45 – employed in IT industry in UK
          >> My goal is to move out of IT and to became a Farmer.
          >> Now Leaning about Fukuoka and Permaculure philosophy
          >> This is a life-change project nothing less, to me.
          >> I really would appreciate any business proposal (to my private address
          >as well)
          >> If yourself or you somebody that is interest to discuss about this
          >project - I am open to any suggestion.
          >> I am ready to move any to: Europe / America Latina
          >> Many Thanks and regards
          >> Enzo
          >> (Vincenzo Imparato - Cheshire Enlgand)

        • N. J. Pierotti
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
            Can you please post a list of countries that have an agreement with
            Monsanto?

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 6, 2009
              I really don't have such a list. I just remember a man posting I think to this list group the woeful news that his country had just signed such a contract with Monsanto. He mentioned it was not the only one. He was in I believe Central America.

              Does anyone else remember what I am talking about? I know it made me profoundly sad, and angry....and so frustrated because there seemed to be nothing to do to help him. He sounded so hopeless at the time.

              It is just a good idea to check into what is going on with the agriculture in whatever country you might decide to emigrate to before you go. Some rules and regulations may make it very difficult for a noncitizen. And if the story was true at the time, GM crops are so full of problems with more herbicides, and insecticides required than before the modifications, that growing in such a country would make one think of failure before one started.

              Gloria, Texas
              USA

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                Thank you All for the replies

                I am more prone to move to Portugal (continental) -- better would be The Azores or Madeira islands -- then The Americas but as mentioned depends on many factors.

                Of course, I am ready to undergo an apprenticing or whatever scholarship is needed but since I am not 20 any more I have to multitask namely: learning, working, earning…the suffice to pay tax/bills and enjoy the nature.
                I am not interested in doing a business out of it, whit balance sheets and so. Also could be a no-profit organization whit minimal accounting, etc.
                So please keep on with suggestions, also contact me privately, if you wish, for any offer (business, partnership etc. you name it) any question will answred!
                I would really appreciate if you spread out my request among your acquaintances by words of mouth, it can be of mutual advantage, thanks
                Enzo
                Cheshire Enlgand

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "vincenzo1881" <vincenzo1881@...> wrote:

                > Hello to All
                > Recently I joined this group and I glad to be hear.
                > I am Italian - 45 – employed in IT industry in UK
                > My goal is to move out of IT and to became a Farmer.
                > Now Leaning about Fukuoka and Permaculure philosophy
                > This is a life-change project nothing less, to me.
                > I really would appreciate any business proposal (to my private address as well)
                > If yourself or you somebody that is interest to discuss about this project - I am open to any suggestion.
                > I am ready to move any to: Europe / America Latina
                > Many Thanks and regards
                > Enzo
                > (Vincenzo Imparato - Cheshire Enlgand)

              • John Vijaya
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Hi Gloria and Pierotti,
                  The guy who posted was Nanakumar(p_k_nandanan@...) and the title '
                  Importance of seed saving and fighting against GMO' and posted on March 4,
                  2009. Below is the post.

                  Hi All,

                  Please find an article about the struggle against Monsanto.. All of us
                  should go for seed saving and also should spread this message.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                  Theft of Life: A story of the struggle against Monsanto and the corporate
                  takeover of our genetic inheritance

                  By Percy Schmeiser

                  I am a seed developer from western Canada, where since 1947 my wife and I
                  have been developing a strain of canola that is resistant to certain
                  diseases that we have on the prairies. I am also a seed saver, like hundred
                  of thousands of farmers around the world who save their seed from year to
                  year, to plant and harvest.

                  I was also the mayor of my community for over twenty five years.

                  In 1998 without any prior knowledge, Monsanto laid a lawsuit against me
                  alleging that I had infringed their patent by growing their genetically
                  modified conola without a license. It was a real shock to me, as we had
                  never had anything to do with Monsanto.

                  But the real issue that concerned us was the possibility that our pure seed,
                  which we had developed after half a century of research would now be
                  contaminated. We stood up to Monsanto, arguing that if any genetically
                  modified organisms (GMOs) were present in our pure seed, then Monsanto were
                  liable for destroying the property of others.

                  It took two years for this case to go to trial at the Federal court of
                  Canada, with one judge, but no jury, and I had no choice in the matter. In
                  the two years of allegations Monsanto withdrew all allegations that I had
                  obtained their seed illegally, but because they had found some GMO canola
                  plants in the ditch along my field, I had infringed their patent. That is
                  the basis on which the case went to the Federal Court of Canada.

                  This is what the judge ruled: it does not matter how Monsanto���s GMOs get
                  into or onto any farmer���s field or into a seed supply (He went on to
                  specify how this could happen: direct seed movement by birds, by wind,
                  especially on the prairies, by floods, and through cross-pollination by
                  bees). It doesn���t actually matter how the genetically modified organisms
                  get into an organic farmer���s field or into the fields of a conventional
                  farmer like myself: once there, those seeds and plants become Monsanto���s
                  property.��

                  It was a very startling decision. The judge also ruled that we were not
                  allowed to use our seeds or plants again and that all the seeds and plants
                  that we had developed over 50 years became the property of Monsanto. The
                  judge also ruled that all the profit from my 1998 canola crop was payable to
                  Monsanto. The judge further ruled that even from the land that had no
                  contamination, all profit would be payable to Monsanto because there was a
                  probability that our seed contained some of Monsanto���s GMOs.

                  We immediately applied to the Federal court of Appeal which has three judges
                  but no jury. After a year the Appeal Court upheld the first judge���s
                  decision, but did not agree with all his decisions. After this second ruling
                  in 2002, we appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada. The case began in
                  January 2004.

                  There were many issues to be decided, including the whole issue of patenting
                  life forms. At the original trial, Monsanto said that by putting a gene into
                  a seed, they invented the seed. When the seed becomes a plant, they invented
                  the plant. Now if you look at the implications of that: if you put one gene
                  in any seed, or any plant, or any life form, whether it be a bird, an
                  animal, or a fish or a human being ��" does that say the corporation
                  responsible has invented that life form?

                  It is an important issue not only of the rights of farmers being able to use
                  their seed from year to year but the whole rights of controlling and owning
                  genes ��" the controlling and owning of human beings, animals, birds, bees
                  and so on.

                  In December 2002 the Supreme Court ruled on one very important issue: in
                  Canada you cannot patent a higher life form, including a seed or a plant.

                  The really worrying thing is how we can lose our rights and freedoms. The
                  contract from Monsanto, takes all farmers��� rights away. Here is a
                  paraphrase of a few clauses.

                  ���You cannot use your own seed.

                  You must always buy your seed each year.

                  You can only use Monsanto���s chemicals.

                  You have to pay a fixed fee, per acre, per year as license fee or technology
                  charge to Monsanto.

                  If you commit some violation of this contract

                  you must sign a non disclosure statement, and

                  you cannot talk to the press or

                  you cannot discuss the situation with your neighbor.

                  So it takes a farmer���s freedom of speech and expression away.

                  There is another clause:

                  You must permit Monsanto���s police force to come into your land for 3 years
                  after you sign this contract. Even though you may only grow their seeds one
                  year, they can go into your grain reservoir, into your silos, onto your
                  land, to inspect and see what you are growing or what you have in storage.

                  They can ask for your farming records, your income tax records, anything.
                  And you must permit them to do that.

                  Another clause has been added in 2003 contract :

                  The clause says you can no longer sue Monsanto, for whatever reason.

                  So that is why it is important for people to know the true impact of the
                  introduction of GMOs and how rights of people are being taken away by
                  corporations.

                  Another very important issue is how Monsanto advertise in their brochures.
                  They state that if you think your neighbor is growing Monsanto���s GMO
                  canola or Soya beans without license, you should inform on your neighbor. If
                  you inform on your neighbor you get a gift from Monsanto.

                  Now what happens when Monsanto gets this tip off? They will immediately send
                  2 of their police out to a farmer���s home, and accuse the farmer of growing
                  their product without a licence, and threaten the farmer with the full force
                  of the law.

                  The effect this has on the community is appalling as the accused try to work
                  out which neighbour informed on them.

                  These are the methods Monsanto uses to instill fear in farmers, because the
                  best way to control people is by the culture of fear.

                  There are some other points that need to be borne in mind when considering
                  the implications of Monsanto���s business practices:

                  There is no such thing as containment. Believe me, as a farmer for over half
                  a century. I know that you cannot contain a life form once you put it into
                  the environment. Whatever the level of contamination of plants, whether 1%
                  or 0.3% of genetically modified material, this genetic pollution will become
                  all pervasive. There is no such thing as containment.

                  There is no such thing as coexistence. Introduce a genetically modified
                  organism into the environment and it becomes dominant. It will contaminate
                  an organic farm or a conventional farm in a matter of just a few years.
                  After the introduction of genetically modified canola in 1996 within two
                  years super weeds had become dominant. Now what is a super-weed? A
                  super-weed in this case is mutant canola which carried genes modified by two
                  other companies as well as those of Monsanto. These modified genes are now
                  all in one plant it has become a super weed, polluting the entire western
                  prairies. It is in wheat fields, barley fields, and oat fields, and it takes
                  a new, more powerful highly toxic chemical to kill it. There is no such
                  thing as co-existence.

                  Organic farmers in Canada can no longer grow two crops: Soya beans and
                  canola. All our seed is contaminated. We can no longer sell one bushel of
                  canola to the European Union. We have lost our markets all over the world.

                  But I think the greatest curse is still coming. And that���s coming in the
                  line of prescription drug plants or ���pharma-plants���. There are six major
                  drugs that are now being produced by genetically modified plants: vaccines,
                  industrial enzymes, blood thinners, blood clotting proteins, growth hormones
                  and contraceptives. What if somebody has had major surgery and they then eat
                  food that is contaminated with genes from a plant manufactured to be a blood
                  thinner? Or what about a pregnant woman who eats food contaminated by genes
                  from a plant that is manufactured as a contraceptive? Remember, there is no
                  such thing as containment or co-existence.

                  What kind of a legacy do we want to leave to our children and our
                  grandchildren? A legacy of land, food, water and air full of poisons? No we
                  want to leave a legacy of land, food, air and water full of health and
                  vitality. I have a message especially to the younger generation: Your rights
                  and your freedoms can be lost overnight, your choice to eat healthily can be
                  taken away. The law in Canada has enabled corporations to deny the rights of
                  farmers to grow and save their own uncontaminated seeds. We are determined
                  to spend the rest of our lives, if necessary, protecting our human rights.

                  Percy Schmeiser is a Canadian farmer and activist. For further information
                  visit ; www. Percyschmeiser.com

                  John Vijaya
                  www.cfcindia.com
                  http://cjohnvijaya.blogspot.com/
                  http://picasaweb.google.co.in/cjohnvijaya

                • Akbar Khan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                    Gloria:

                    What part of Texas do you live in? My brother in law just purchased a 22
                    acre farm one hour from Plano, Texas. Are you nearby?

                    Akbar Khan

[...]

                    <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , "N. J. Pierotti"
                    <eurydice@...> wrote:

                    > Can you please post a list of countries that have an agreement with
                    > Monsanto?
                    >

                    > On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Gloria C. Baikauskas wrote:
                    >
                    > > You will need to be careful as to your choice of country. Some of
                    > > the Latin American countries, as I recall, have some sort of
                    > > agreement with Monsanto, or some company, to provide only
                    > > Genetically Modified seeds for growing in that country. I read this
                    > > a while ago, so I could be wrong...out of date on this now. I can't
                    > > remember which country/countries were involved.
                    > >
                    > > You might try apprenticing at a Natural Farm in Europe before
                    > > making this move. That way you will know if you are any good at it
                    > > before making a totally life-changing decision and relocation.
                    > >
                    > > There are some on this list who may be able to help you in
                    > > that...at least for a few weeks of your vacation, etc.
                    > >
                    > > The first year or two may not see the profits, or yields that you
                    > > would like as it is. Takes time. Depends much on the soil that is
                    > > on the land you purchase.
                    > >
                    > > Gloria, Texas
                    > > USA
                    > >
                    > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , "vincenzo1881"

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                      No this post was a few years ago. The guy was from Central, or South America. He was also heartbroken.

                      You know as I read the post you gave it made me think of other seed developers I know....that even some of you know. They have also run up against this same thing. They've had their computers, seeds, crops, everthing confiscated...in the US, too.

                      This thing is a nightmare. One of those seed developers suggested we do more guerrilla seeding of public areas in case someone needs to eat when chaos may ensue. He also said beyond that to take pieces of pvc and put inside of them seeds. Then cap the ends with the pvc caps...glued shut..and bury them. Don't just bury them on your own land. Bury them in places where you might have to go someday....bury them where no one would expect to find them.

                      It is for more than any government confiscation avoidance. It is also because the only way to safeguard good, open-pollinated nonhybrid seed from GM crop contamination is to hide it away from any contamination until this idiocy is over.

                      Remember one of the first things that happened in Iraq after the US invaded was that the seed vault was destroyed. They can't even go around finding and ridding the world of all the landmines. It would be hard for them to find all those pvc pipes of seeds we safeguard. There is no way to guarantee that one day the other seed banks will not have 'accidents.'

                      Gloria, Texas
                      USA
                    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Well, not too far, but not that close. I live south of the DFW metroplex about a half an hour in NE Johnson County.

                        What is your brother planning to do with his land? Will he farm it, or will he run cattle, horses, or the like on it?

                        Gloria, Texas
                        USA

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Akbar Khan" <akhan@...> wrote:

                        > Gloria:
                        >

                        > What part of Texas do you live in? My brother in law just purchased a 22
                        > acre farm one hour from Plano, Texas. Are you nearby?
                        >

                        > Akbar Khan

                      • Vincenzo Imparato
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
                          Thank you All for the replies

                          I am more prone to move to Portugal (continental) -- better would be The Azores

                          or Madeira islands -- then The Americas but as mentioned depends on many

                          factors.

                          Of course, I am ready to undergo an apprenticing or whatever scholarship is

                          needed but since I am not 20 any more I have to multitask namely: learning,

                          working, earning…the suffice to pay tax/bills and enjoy the nature.

                          I am not interested in doing a business out of it, whit balance sheets and so.

                          Also could be a no-profit organization whit minimal accounting, etc.

                          So please keep on with suggestions, also contact me privately, if you wish, for

                          any offer (business, partnership etc. you name it) any question will answered!

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
                            He wants to grow vegetables and maybe goats. I suggested to start with
                            vegetables and then maybe later proceed with goats. What do you think?
                            Can he contact you and use you as a guide to help him?

                            Akbar Khan

                            <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , "Akbar Khan" <akhan@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Gloria:
                            >

                            > What part of Texas do you live in? My brother in law just purchased a
                            22
                            > acre farm one hour from Plano, Texas. Are you nearby?
                            >

                            > Akbar Khan
                            >

                            > From: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                          • Nandan Palaparambil
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 9, 2009
                              Hi Enzo,

                              Nice to read your thoughts on moving out of IT....

                              I have been seeing a number of people from IT following this way, including me (in another 1 year). Partly this is because of the economic freedom which IT was giving, once you have enough money to buy a land which can sustain you. Another reason is the work pressure and people want to do some thing less hectic for a living.

                              I have talked to couple of them who had taken this step. In some of the cases, their families are not still tune with their thinking, so it causes some issues at least in the beginning which may get resolved after some time. Some felt a community of like minded people may be better.

                              Also the way things go now tells that a life which has roots in farming and produces their own food is the best. Another thing which makes me sick is the developments happening and villages slowly turning to towns and then finally become cities.. and all natural resources gets wiped out...Recently I was reading "Village Swaraj (self-rule and self-restraint)" by Gandhi and he was for an all village life without cities where all villages are self sufficient in food, clothing, health etc.. and minimal purchases from outside. I was fascinated by these ideas..

                              Regards,
                              Nandan

[...]

                            • sundaresan annamalai
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 10, 2009
                                Dear Nandan,I sincerely acknowledge views expressed by you.In case on mine, when I start NF which is about 45 km from my living place Vellore, I first faced objections from my family itslelf, my parents, relatives, friends. They wonder the viablity of the farming occupation. Also nearby villagers also wondering about my activity. Still farming is not a attractive occupation in the society. Everbody raising their eyebrows about the farming in the current trends.In most of the villages in our area, almost youth age group 18-50 is almost minimal. Most of the small farmers have sold to real estate owners and now appears as well marked plots.  Agricultural land prices have gone up. Most of villagers move to cities to raise their children for brining up their children in english medium schools. Those who are skilled in agricultural operations are also shifting to other occupations. Thanks to over usasge of fertilizers, pesticides, inscectides, weedicides, GM
                                seeds. etc.,and consequent effects of decline in fertility, low market rate, increase in labour rate becasue of industrial operations., etc.,When I was determined against all these negative factors.As you said, "Gram swaraj " will only solve all these problems faces by the society.
                                A.sundaresanVellore
                                From: Vincenzo Imparato <vincenzo1881@ yahoo.com>

                                To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 10, 2009
                                  Nandan,

                                  >Another thing which makes me sick is the developments
                                  >happening and villages slowly turning to towns and then
                                  >finally become cities.. and all natural resources gets wiped out...

                                  In my region professional people like yourself have bought up land to enjoy a quite country life with the money they have earned in the city.  Many came out here to do a bit of farming, but it is far too hard for them.  They want to have all the comforts of the city without which they find it difficult to live: electricity, PCs, Internet, big comfortable homes with numerous electrical appliances, huge supermarkets for shopping …

                                  As a result, in the space of less than 20 years, the road to town has come to look like an industrial zone with electricity and telegraph wires on both sides, an asphalted road that used to be a dirt track, and new developments everywhere.

                                  We need to understand the root cause of the development that you say makes you feel sick.

                                  Dieter Brand
                                  Portugal

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 11, 2009
                                    Dieter,

                                    As you hinted our liking for all the modern comforts is the root cause of all the development..But most of the time, we are not aware what makes us happy and what not. People who are aware should make the others aware.. I can see that as the only way..

                                    I was born and brought up in a village but since we had faced many hardships with money, I had put all my effort to study and get a job in the city. But now I would like to go back and have a life based on farming..

                                    There should be some changes in the society and to make the farming as an acceptable profession and all have enough fun in their life with farming and related life style. Hope the small steps which we take leads into that.

                                    Regards,
                                    Nandan

                                    From: Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@ yahoo.com>

                                    To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 11, 2009
                                      Sundaresan,

                                      I hope we will be able to make some changes in the society once we move to farming. It is good that many are coming to natural farming profession so that we can have a community and discuss how to take it forward.

                                      Have you reached a stage where you can live from the income from farm?

                                      Keep in touch..

                                      Regards,
                                      Nandan

                                      From: Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@ yahoo.com>