Question on compost in France

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2009
      Hi ya'll! Haven't been around much lately, but here I am. I see lots of post for me to peruse....

      I have a lady in the Loire Valley in France on my gardening list. She says that all the compost she is seeing says to mix it half and half before using it in the garden. Is this true? If so, why? Is there one brand that can be purchased in France that may be better than another?

      I know, that if you are using compost, most of you make it yourselves. I also know that natural farming....well you know what I was going to say.

      I try my best to get them to see the natural way of things. Keep trying them to see that Nature works in simple ways to accomplish much. They are listening....but it takes time.

      So, if anyone can tell me what I can tell this woman...or would be willing to converse with her....someone in or near France...please respond. Long distance can be a bit baffling sometimes.

      She also asked me if there were any French organic type gardening groups she might join that would be of help to her, too.....? I think she would be open to one more in the line of natural gardening/farming.

      Her attempts to grow seedlings has been a disappointment so far. She really needs some guidance.

      I know there at least used to be some from France on this list group. I know some of you aren't in France, but that you would have a better perspective than I do living in Texas, USA.

      Gloria
    • Beatrice
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2009
        >> Hi ya'll! Haven't been around much lately, but here I am. I see lots of post for me to peruse....

        - Hi Gloria, me too...! But I'm actually in France, so maybe could help.

        >> I have a lady in the Loire Valley in France on my gardening list. She says that all the compost she is seeing says to mix it half and half before using it in the garden. Is this true? If so, why? Is there one brand that can be purchased in France that may be better than another?

        - Never read that... but never read on there compost neither
        ;-)
        I'm suspecting that it says to mix half compost half soil to use in flowers pots rather in the garden.

        >> I know, that if you are using compost, most of you make it yourselves. I also know that natural farming....well you know what I was going to say.

        - :-D

        >> I try my best to get them to see the natural way of things. Keep trying them to see that Nature works in simple ways to accomplish much. They are listening....but it takes time.

        >> So, if anyone can tell me what I can tell this woman...or would be willing to converse with her....someone in or near France...please respond. Long distance can be a bit baffling sometimes.

        - You can give her my mail

        >> She also asked me if there were any French organic type gardening groups she might join that would be of help to her, too.....? I think she would be open to one more in the line of natural gardening/farming.

        - ferme de Ste Marthe around her place if I'm remembering well...

        >> Her attempts to grow seedlings has been a disappointment so far. She really needs some guidance.
        >> I know there at least used to be some from France on this list group. I know some of you aren't in France, but that you would have a better perspective than I do living in Texas, USA.

        - I think I could help her for the next few weeks here.
        Thank you for your patience and constant help Gloria and many other, here on this fukoka forum.

        All the best
        Beatrice