Re: [fukuoka_farming] Land needed per family

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
      Dear Friend,As per Fukuoka "One quarter acre is sufficient for one family of
      5 to 6 members. And for one Cow another quarter acre is sufficient. Please
      see Natural way of farming .
      Thanks
      Raju

      On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Damodara Das <damodara.bvks@...>wrote:

      > Dear Friends
      >
      > I am Damodara from Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
      > I wanted to know how much land
      > is required for growing all the basic needs of a family of 5 persons
      > which includes - Food, grass for cows, Oil for lighting, Wood for fuel,
      > cotton for clothes.
      >
      > Since we are in the process of purchasing land for x No. of families we
      > need this calculation.
      >
      > We calculated it in a following way:
      >
      > REQUIREMENTS:
      > Rice (Cereals) : 500 Kg per family per year.
      > Dal : 140 Kg per family per year
      > Clothes : 3-sets of clothes per person per family per year.
      > Vegetables : Estimated in terms of land for kitchen garden.
      > Milk : 3-4 Litres per family everyday (includes all milk products)
      >
      > LAND Calculation:
      > Rice (cereals) : 0.5 Acre
      > Dal : 0.5 Acre (This is the same land as that for rice, in rotation)
      > Cows Fodder : 0.5 Acre
      > Vegetables etc. : 2500 Sq Ft. (0.06 Acre)
      > Castor (for lighting), Cotton, Fuel wood trees: 1 Acre
      >
      > Please send your comments on this calculation.
      > Also please send your calculations.
      >
      > Thankyou,
      > Damodara Das.
      > 09488706888

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
        > Dear Friend,As per Fukuoka "One quarter acre is sufficient for one family of
        > 5 to 6 members. And for one Cow another quarter acre is sufficient. Please

        > > REQUIREMENTS:
        > > Rice (Cereals) : 500 Kg per family per year.
        > > Dal : 140 Kg per family per year
        > > Clothes : 3-sets of clothes per person per family per year.
        > > Vegetables : Estimated in terms of land for kitchen garden.
        > > Milk : 3-4 Litres per family everyday (includes all milk products)
        > >

        > > LAND Calculation:
        > > Rice (cereals) : 0.5 Acre
        > > Dal : 0.5 Acre (This is the same land as that for rice, in rotation)
        > > Cows Fodder : 0.5 Acre
        > > Vegetables etc. : 2500 Sq Ft. (0.06 Acre)
        > > Castor (for lighting), Cotton, Fuel wood trees: 1 Acre

        a couple of comments from far away-
        what is Dal?///

        cotton is a poor choice for clothing-
        hemp is much much more efficient,
        bamboo is also an option... finally, if suitable for your area, or in trade... coconut fiber is considered the best/most efficient

        secondly, castor is not the best oil either-
        sunflower oil, or jatropha a both more efficent producers,

        finally on fuel wood, choosing a legume species is highly preferencial...also this can sub in for forage for the livestock, and great mulch

        and in my part of the world (temperate) 2.5 acres per cow is used.. and even then it degrades the land.... even with double the prodcution for a tropical area this is much greater (this is for grass bassed forage or hay.... the tree forage system might be more land efficient- but grass forage and self-feeding by the cow is MUCH MUCH more labor efficient...

        my first recomendation is to look into improved stoves-- to reduce your firewood needs.... this will have a dramatic effect on your labor and land use
        finally- increasing fruit and vegetable use is recommended... not that you need more, but simply will result in more health if you get more nutrition from vegetables and fruit than the highly caloric and productive rice...

        I can't comment about how much land would be needed for the rice itself as I'M not familar with the production amounts...

        finally I would highly recommend using ducks and fish in culture with the rice...
        nature never uses one thing for one thing
        each part of the system should have many uses
      • Damodara Das
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2009
          Dea Raju,
          We are going to use NF only as its the only self-sustainable way.

          Could you please send the calculations to support that 1/4 Acre is sufficient per family?

          You may send calculations as per the pattern sent by me.

          Thankyou,
          Damodara Das.

          ________________________________

          On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Damodara Das <damodara.bvks@ yahoo.com>wrote:

          > Dear Friends
          >
          > I am Damodara from Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
          > I wanted to know how much land
          > is required for growing all the basic needs of a family of 5 persons
          > which includes - Food, grass for cows, Oil for lighting, Wood for fuel,
          > cotton for clothes.
          >
          > Since we are in the process of purchasing land for x No. of families we
          > need this calculation.
          >
          > We calculated it in a following way:
          >
          > REQUIREMENTS:
          > Rice (Cereals) : 500 Kg per family per year.
          > Dal : 140 Kg per family per year
          > Clothes : 3-sets of clothes per person per family per year.
          > Vegetables : Estimated in terms of land for kitchen garden.
          > Milk : 3-4 Litres per family everyday (includes all milk products)
          >
          > LAND Calculation:
          > Rice (cereals) : 0.5 Acre
          > Dal : 0.5 Acre (This is the same land as that for rice, in rotation)
          > Cows Fodder : 0.5 Acre
          > Vegetables etc. : 2500 Sq Ft. (0.06 Acre)
          > Castor (for lighting), Cotton, Fuel wood trees: 1 Acre
          >
          > Please send your comments on this calculation.
          > Also please send your calculations.
          >
          > Thankyou,
          > Damodara Das.
          > 09488706888

        • Vinay
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
            Hi,

            HTH

            http://earth.org.in/index.php?page=RTN

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Damodara Das <damodara.bvks@...> wrote:

            > Dear Friends
            >
            > I am Damodara from Tamil Nadu, INDIA.
            > I wanted to know how much land
            > is required for growing all the basic needs of a family of 5 persons
            > which includes - Food, grass for cows, Oil for lighting, Wood for fuel,
            > cotton for clothes............
            > <<<<<SNIP>>>>>
          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2009
              Dear Damodeaji,
              What I want to say is that One cow is equivalent to one family of 5 to
              6 member as per Fukuoka. But in India with cow One acre is sufficient.
              Thanks
              Raju

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2009
                Hi Damodar,

                Here is another calculation of land requirement for a family of 5 by late Prof. Dhabolkar. According to this 10,000 sq ft (1/4 th of an acre) is enough for a family of 5 from the energy calculation point.  This project is called as 10 Guntha experiment and there are couple of locations where this experiment is going on..

                I have bought 6 acres of land even though I am aware of this calculation, because a sudden change to a different life style becomes difficult.

                Here are some links related to

                http://www.prayogpariwar.net/pros20.htm
                http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articlesho/3792144.cms

                http://www.boloji.com/wfs6/2008/wfs1173.htm

                1 One
                man needs 2500 Kilo Cal.

                2 Solar energy gives 1250 Kilo Cal per Sq. ft. Per day eight hours.

                3 Matured green leaves harvest only 1% of it.

                4 So 100 sq. ft. for one meal.

                5 We need food as well as some firewood, cloth, oil etc. it comes to 1400
                Sq.ft.

                We live in a family of five members per family so 7000 Sq.ft

                6 We also need shelter and water each requires 1000 Sq.ft.

                7 Storing place and free place for play 500 Sq.ft. for each Total 10,000

                Regards,
                Nandan