Books by Masanobu Fukuoka

  • strawrevolution
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
      Long out of print in North America, I make Fukuoka's books available here at a reasonable price.

      They took much work to find and come from the other side of the planet. I order direct from the publisher, A LEGITIMATE PUBLISHER, and it took me months to establish a working relationship. It takes several months to place and receive an order. The price is fair, and I can usually mail the book out within a few days of receiving the order. I've even done rush orders for folks headed to Japan.

      I take my business very seriously and find the questions about legitimacy somewhat amusing, since your group posts two electronic versions of One Straw for free download.

      Initially, I contacted Rodale about reprinting One Straw in March, 2002, and got this reply:

      "We have no plans at this time for reissuing THE ONE-STRAW REVOLUTION.

      "The rights reverted to the author back in 1990. He is Japanese and knows no English. Also, he was elderly when the book was written. I seriously doubt whether he is still alive."

      I seriously doubted it, too, until I heard a rumor he was still alive from a woman who "needed the books right away" because she was headed to Japan to study Fukuoka's effect on Japanese agriculture. Days later, Leland found my web site and suggested I join this news group. Until then, I pretty much believed Fukuoka was long gone. As Mark Twain would say, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

      If anyone would like to put him in touch with me about publishing a US editon, I would welcome it.

      Robert Hayes
    • jamie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        Hello Robert, its good to have you here and to find someone else out there
        working toward the same goals - who knows, soon we might reach a critical
        mass! Who knows what we might be able to affect then?
        From what I understand from others who have ordered the Fukuoka books
        from One India Bookstore, delivery was more like a few weeks than months,
        but then that is for single copies rather than for a larger order that you
        might have placed.
        Whilst the e-copies of One-Straw might seem dubious, I suspect in
        editing them for this forum I was sharing your desire to introduce more
        people to the ideas of Fukuoka - and, as yet, I do not think they have been
        published on the web.
        It is also good to hear that the copyright of the books has reverted to
        Fukuoka (the Rodale Press no longer retain any rights, though of course,
        regarding the English translation Larry Korn's permission would also be
        required), it is helpful if we want to bring up the subject of access to his
        books at the conference in October.
        I once put together an email listing all sources of Fukuoka books, I'll
        dig it up and post it again to the group including your details Robert.

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

        > Long out of print in North America, I make Fukuoka's books available here
        at a reasonable price.

        > They took much work to find and come from the other side of the planet. I
        order direct from the publisher, A LEGITIMATE PUBLISHER, and it took me
        months to establish a working relationship. It takes several months to place
        and receive an order. The price is fair, and I can usually mail the book out
        within a few days of receiving the order. I've even done rush orders for
        folks headed to Japan.

        > I take my business very seriously and find the questions about legitimacy
        somewhat amusing, since your group posts two electronic versions of One
        Straw for free download.

        > Initially, I contacted Rodale about reprinting One Straw in March, 2002,
        and got this reply:

        > "We have no plans at this time for reissuing THE ONE-STRAW REVOLUTION.
        >
        > "The rights reverted to the author back in 1990. He is Japanese and knows
        no English. Also, he was elderly when the book was written. I seriously
        doubt whether he is still alive."

        > I seriously doubted it, too, until I heard a rumor he was still alive from
        a woman who "needed the books right away" because she was headed to Japan to
        study Fukuoka's effect on Japanese agriculture. Days later, Leland found my
        web site and suggested I join this news group. Until then, I pretty much
        believed Fukuoka was long gone. As Mark Twain would say, "The rumors of my
        death have been greatly exaggerated."

        > If anyone would like to put him in touch with me about publishing a US
        editon, I would welcome it.

        > Robert Hayes

      • Judy Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          Robert Hayes wrote:

          >>I take my business very seriously and find the questions about legitimacy
          somewhat >>amusing, since your group posts two electronic versions of One
          Straw for free download.

          Robert--please don't take the question of about the legitimacy of your sale
          of One Straw Revolution personally--I am sure that it was in no way meant to
          insult you or to question your honesty.
          What you read in that one post was part of an extended thread that has been
          ongoing since this group was formed. There has been much frustration because
          none if us in North America had been able to find copies of Fukuoka's work
          anywhere. One source was finally uncovered in India, but we learned that
          these were "bootleg" copies and none of the proceeds were actually going to
          Sensei Fukuoka. Many of us were hesitant to support this kind of piracy.
          One of our members did kindly post a copy of One Straw Revolution for us
          online--since none of us here in the U.S. could get ahold of it and we all
          desperately wanted to be "on the same page" as it were in our ongoing
          discussions. I for one was very grateful for the favor. To be fair, the
          member who posted the book for us did encourage us to keep seeking a
          legitimate source for the materials. If we have found one in you, then we
          are very happy!
          Would you mind telling us where the copies you are selling originated? Does
          Fukuoaka indeed profit from these sales?
          I am on a very limited budget, but would love to own copies of all of
          Fukuoka's works, so that I may better understand and teach his methods in my
          community.
          I hope that you will continue with our group and add your insights to our
          discussions.
          Green Blessings,
          Judy Phillips
        • strawrevolution
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
            I, too, "wish to see Fukuoka's ideas reach as wide an audience as possible," and I'm okay with the electronic versions being posted here. I even have another link for your access list: Touchwood Books www.touchwoodbooks.co.nz

            The source of the Fukuoka books that I carry is indeed India. Partap Aggarwal, in his preface to One Straw, Other India Press, states that he "wrote and obtained [Rodale Press'] permission to print an Indian edition for a nominal royalty." He got to know both Fukuoka and Robert Rodale, and they gave permission to encourage translation of One Straw into various Indian languages. Road Back to Nature and Natural Way of Farming are published by bookventure "by arrangement with Japan Publications, Inc. of Tokyo and New York." I don't know if Fukuoka benefits from these arrangements or not. Perhaps he would be open to reissuing US editions. Is anyone who will see him in October willing to bring it up?

            I'm not really a book store per se, though I used to own one and have a knack for finding hard to find books. My wife and I live a long way down a bad dirt road in the middle of nowhere between Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA. My business involves Sustainable Building (emphasis on straw bale), Renewable Energy (solar/wind), Distributed Generation (house by house grid tied solar/wind "green" power), and Energy Conservation (effecient appliances, etc.). For me, Fukuoka's work is a piece, a very important piece, of a bigger picture.

            Ciao,
            Robert