Re: getting seeds

  • Michael Meredith
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
      ________________________________

      I only need a few of each seed. I have found some seed mixes that will give me a pound of mixed seeds, for $7, not bad. If I could find gourd, herb , and other seeds that way it would help me out. I, of course, want one of each(and I do mean of everything), but have only1/8 acre. I can get my own seeds from just a few plants, and lean towards perenials, for not having to re-plant. I even found some tree and bush seeds. I need to keep costs down, and buying a tree only sets you ahead 1 or 2 yrs anyway.
      So, my method for asparagus, for example, is to plant some roots, for rapid growth, and lots of seeds. Then, I will have my own seeds. Figs, I can propagate, and may end up with a surplus of tasty organic figs to sell (or may just dry up a years supply).
      Will growing many corn plants close together give me wierd food, or just strange projeny?
      I am doing mainly the three sisters approach, as It is low labor, smothers weeds, which I may just be able to stomp down, etc.
      Micchael..................I also need some local deer fencing..........

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
        At 5:10 AM -0800 3/4/09, Michael Meredith wrote:
        I only need a few of each seed. I have found some seed mixes that
        will give me a pound of mixed seeds, for $7, not bad. If I could find
        gourd, herb , and other seeds that way it would help me out. I, of
        course, want one of each(and I do mean of everything), but have
        only1/8 acre.

        For small quantities, you may be able to find free seeds online.
        Several internet forums offer seed exchanges, where people share the
        seeds they've saved (so no guarantee of germination or that the seed
        is true to type). For U.S. residents, gardenweb has seed exchanges
        where people post "wanted" and "offered" notices, and the
        wintersowing website offers 6 free varieties for a self-addressed
        stamped envelope (SASE). Specialized forums, which are often open to
        people worldwide, also offer seed exchanges. Also, it's the nature of
        gardeners to share the bounty, so in many cases, seeds are offered in
        exchange for a SASE. Postage is higher for overseas addresses, but
        Australia is the only country I know of that does not allow seeds to
        come in or go out by post.