Re: soil

  • grannis04
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 3, 2009
      Micheal,
      I have two dogs and so no deer. Last year gardeners in our
      area had an epidemic of cucumber beetles however there was no sign in
      my NF cucumbers. I don't have vine borers or least I haven't seen
      them. On seeds I would recommend that you grow all open pollinated
      varieties so that you can save your own seed. This is important in
      that your seeds over time will accommodate to your soil and
      methodology. There are plenty of resources for learning seed saving
      basics. Also ask your garden friends what they like for varieties.
      I love Sun Gold cherry tomatoes but they are a hybrid.

      grow on, Steve G.

      -- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith
      <meredith848@...> wrote:

      > Steve, thanks for the write-up on your planting method.
      > Do you have trouble with deer, squash vine borers, or cucumber beetles?
      > Also, I'm starting to buy seeds now. Any suggestions?
      > Michael

    • mcavincheyfrank
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 3, 2009
        So, does anyone have any suggestions for Squash Vine Borers? They, cucumber beetles, and squash bugs plague my cucurbids.

        Frank

      • yarrow@sfo.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 3, 2009
          At 5:06 AM +0000 3/4/09, mcavincheyfrank wrote:
          So, does anyone have any suggestions for Squash Vine Borers? They,
          cucumber beetles, and squash bugs plague my cucurbids.

          I haven't had squash vine borers, but for cucumber beetles and squash
          bugs, try (1) planting different varieties of cucurbits and (2)
          changing the timing.

          My garden was inundated with squash bugs, especially, one year when I
          planted two types of small round summer squash too early. Ever since,
          I've avoided those two varieties and planted them later in the
          season, and have not seen any squash bugs.

          One year I saw a cucumber beetle on a papaya squash, waved it away,
          and saw no others the rest of the season! (Maybe my neighbors at the
          community garden were growing varieties they liked a lot better?)

          One way to figure out when to plant is to look up degree days needed
          for the critters to hatch, then figure out when you need to plant
          each year to avoid the first population wave. Many university web
          sites have this information.

        • Michael Meredith
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 3, 2009
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 3, 2009
              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 3, 2009
                I use urine for my herbs....
                I primarily use it in bottom watering pots....

                my rosemary is so potent it makes ya dizzy if you get too close lol
                its especially good for the drier herbs like rosemary and sage.

                I scoop it straight from a normal toliet (what ever ratio that turns out to be),
                my plants are all dark dark green that I feed this way...

                I'm also in the process of composing
                dog poo with dried grass....
                having a problem getting the moisture right,
                and mixed in properly....

                I suspect that higher fiber diets would produce better results in humans..
              • michael hollihn
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 4, 2009
                  michael, thanks for the clear vision, one thing i would add to urine
                  and humanure in the cycle is the woman's blood from her menses....when
                  i lived in the kootenays and gulf islands of bc there were many women
                  using a device called a keeper instead of a pad...this contained the
                  blood and they would add it to their tea's for their plants

                  --
                  michael hollihn,
                  british columbia,
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 4, 2009
                      Wow! it's the first time i heard of that use for women's mens...

                      When i started having mine, the first blood was used to wipe the face as immunity from eruptions...

                      The POWER of a WOMAN!!!

                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Turner <shawndturner@...> wrote:

                      > Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Gary Granada
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 9, 2009
                        Hello!

                        We are looking for jathropa plantation for bio-diesel project investors here in Mindanao, Philippines.

                        Sincerely,

                        Gary B. Granada
                        Davao City, Philippines
                        email: eurosign888@...
                        mobile: +639107921524
                        Good Source of nitrogen as well as trace minerals

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Well, Dieter, maybe you should try the tierra prieta.
                          Michael

                          r most of the year, there is very
                          little biomass production. Even on my level fields, which haven’t
                          been plowed for 14 years, the losses of humus due to the high
                          temperatures are in some cases greater than what is added due to new
                          plant growth. In these cases, the soil is actually impoverished by
                          not plowing even when no crop is taken off the field.
                        • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                            to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                            Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                            people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                            system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                            source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                            Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                            in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                            be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                            Kyosan
                          • Michael Meredith
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 4, 2009
                              Kyosal,

                              How do you know it will not work in dry areas?

                              Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?

                              Michael

                              Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                              to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                              Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                              people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                              system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                              source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                              Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                              in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                              be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.

                              Kyosan
                            • michaeljking2007
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                                If lack of water is the main problem then maybe you could look into using swales to create a better environment for plants and then build on that with seedballs/natural farming:

                                Greening the desert:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6kTlz6Mk4

                                Michael

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                                > Kyosal,
                                >
                                > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                                >
                                > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                                >

                                > Michael
                                >

                                > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                                > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                                > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                                > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                                > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                                > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                                > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                                > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                                > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                                >
                                > Kyosan

                              • David Douglas
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                                  Hello to all,

                                  Would you folks be able to recommend a site that describes producing
                                  charcoal for Terra Preta purposes on a small scale?

                                  I'm not sure if I would be able to do this here in the Adirondacks due to
                                  the
                                  strict new burn barrel laws and the amount of smoke that it would give off.
                                  However, I would like to learn more about the procedure, in particular how
                                  control the burn temperature so that the charcoal isn't overheated.

                                  Thank you very much.
                                  Best regards,

                                  David Douglas
                                  Adirondack Mountains
                                  NY, US

                                  www.artofdaviddouglas.com

                                  On 11/4/09, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                                  > Kyosal,
                                  >
                                  > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                                  >
                                  > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                                  >
                                  > Michael
                                  >
                                  > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                                  > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                                  > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                                  > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                                  > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                                  > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                                  > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                                  > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                                  > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer owns.
                                  >
                                  > Kyosan

                                • Rev. Kyosan T. F. Katthagen
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 5, 2009
                                    Michael Meredith wrote:

                                    > Kyosal,
                                    >
                                    > How do you know it will not work in dry areas?
                                    >
                                    > Wont water harvesting at least extend his season?
                                    >
                                    > Michael
                                    >
                                    > Oh yes, Michael, Terra Preta is a nice idea - if there is a possibility
                                    > to create it by time AND there is enough water. Without water Terra
                                    > Preta will not do anything to stone-hard clay ground, I guess. Ancient
                                    > people in Amazon region have not been in lack of water. They built up a
                                    > system of channels throughout there farming land. They had a nearby
                                    > source of water: the Amazonian River. But there is no Amazonian River in
                                    > Portugal, as I know. Even ideas like Water Harvesting will not work best
                                    > in a country where, as Dieter wrote, last rain was in March. One would
                                    > be in need of more land to collect and store water as a normal farmer
                                    > owns.
                                    >
                                    > Kyosan

                                    Dear Michael,

                                    I hope we do not missunderstand each other too much. I am not against
                                    Water Harvesting - it ´s a wonderful idea what everyone should practise
                                    however and whereever. Off course it would extend Dieter´s potential for
                                    longer time than without, but (I don´t know why there is always a *but*,
                                    we have to take it as it is and live and work with it . ;-) ) in a long
                                    dry season, like in Portugal, one would be in need of so much water,
                                    that the owned land maybe would not be big enough. Everywhere collecting
                                    pots, troughs, smaller or bigger lakes... whatever. And the agriculture
                                    land will not grow, not just for a good idea. I would like to have it
                                    work in a better way...

                                    As well, Terra Preta is a very nice, very good and by ancient people
                                    long time proofed tool. I will never say nothing against it. I myself
                                    are in process of creating Terra Preta. But (Oh Lord! Another "but),
                                    I´am living in a region with periodic rain. My rain harvesting this year
                                    was absolutely more than succesfull! Thousands of liters in storage and
                                    only a very few times in need to use. End of month September, when the
                                    first cold and frosty nights came up, I had to let the water from the
                                    storages go the nearby creek. Otherwise it would have blast my storage
                                    containers.

                                    The origin of Terra Preta is different from the climatic situation at my
                                    or at Dieter´s location. Dieter´s location is, hmh, let me say: poor. My
                                    location tends more too the rich. Off course different to the location
                                    where Terra Preta was found. In Amazonian region there is coldness,
                                    there are no frosty season like german winter. I am a german livingi
                                    Southwest of Germany - latitude of Strassbourg/France. In wintertime
                                    soil microbes in my region go to a kind of "sleep", like hedgehogs do.
                                    Prücess of Terra Preta will also got to have a winter rest, start again
                                    in spring time, depending on how long frosty climatic soil situation
                                    will be. It is different from year to year, sometimes from October to
                                    May, sometimes November to April - every changing possible. Absolutely
                                    NOT the same like in Portugal or whereever in the world.

                                    Water is the key for any process of life on this planet. Still our
                                    common question is and will be: How to get enough.

                                    You know what I mean?

                                    In respect, Kyosan
                                  • Michael Meredith
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 6, 2009
                                      Seems to me that any one in a dry climate would want to do swales, tanks, and charcoal, as the charcoal is permanant, acts to hold onto water, and , further, is a sponge for micro-organisms to hide in. In fact, many sewage plants, and bio-gas units, use charcoal for this very purpose. His organic matter blows away, or cooks off, in the amazon, it washes away, and cooks off. Could be something there(for the old Dieter).

                                      Heres some more stuff I am doing...............

                                      I finally got the clothing started on the 30 foot tall statue. See some photos here.............

                                      .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o252/meredith848/?albumview=slideshow.

                                      Then..... bigsculpture.org...., which explains it

                                      Michael

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 24, 2010
                                        I didnt see any photos of what it looked like several years later, so feel that
                                        I wasted my time.
                                        Michael

                                        > Please go through this video.
                                        >
                                        > http://www.archive org/details/ MasanobuFukuoka- ArnissaGreece- 1998
                                        >
                                        > fukuoka in video, afforestation using seed balls.
                                      • Michael Meredith
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                                          Greece was filled with large trees at the time of Plato, then they cut to burn,
                                          and brought in the sheep....

                                          Hello Jason
                                          I believe I have answered this question before (on the results of the seeding
                                          project - with Fukuoka-San' s participation) .

                                          The volunteers had an agreement with the national government that they would
                                          safeguard the area - they were to pay the herders to keep the goats and sheep
                                          away from the area.

                                          A few weeks after the area was seeded, the government changed hands from one
                                          party to the other; the herders were not paid, and as soon as the seed balls
                                          sprouted and the area turned green, the goats and sheep had a field day -
                                          nothing was left.

                                          I am just passing along what Panos told me - I have not been at the seeding
                                          project.

                                          Kostas
                                        • Jean Villafuerte
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 28, 2010
                                            What a waste!
                                            jean
                                            http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                                            http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                                            http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                                            http://www.tcformoc.com/
                                            http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                                            visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 2, 2011
                                              To all, Here's a great show from David Suzuki. Soil microbes and no till
                                              discussed.

                                              http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/bottomline_20110127_43608.mp3

                                            • Jason Stewart
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 4, 2011
                                                Dear all,

                                                Thank you very much Steve Grannis for these informative radio shows hosted
                                                by David Suzuki,
                                                (for those who don't know:) Japanese-Canadian internationally famous (in the
                                                'West') leading figure, in his very very active life in ecological
                                                sustainability (activist), and former professor of genetic science,

                                                –i found the full podcasts page at:
                                                -> feed://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/bottomline.xml
                                                from: -> http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/index.html?newsandcurrent#bottomline

                                                On Soils, the 4 segments (A & B of each) of the 2 whole programs, make IMHO
                                                worthwhile information filled, myth-busting and convention–transcending
                                                programs, with some real points of entertainment value also.
                                                (For one of several examples:
                                                Joel Salatin, USA, has a great sense of humour,
                                                rather loose in scholarly terms while very funny, witty and engaging,
                                                –no wonder he's an international speaker–
                                                not always so scholarly accurate (correct, although mostly so) and
                                                not always so strictly sustainable as our legend late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                                                sensei,
                                                but very helpful entertaining,
                                                engaging–for–otherwise–uninterested–or–skeptical–people, and informative
                                                speaker, all the same, and
                                                in the same direction, polyculture,
                                                alike to, "mimicking" of, nature, farming
                                                as our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu accomplished, in actual nature –in terms
                                                of at once both philosophical awareness of himself as nature, part thereof, and
                                                full farming practice ie. –fully accomplished nature farming–
                                                ie. –i mean, Joel Salatin evidently, taking himself and all us listeners to him,
                                                in the direction towards nature, via towards our sensei late Mr. Fukuoka
                                                Masanobu ... .
                                                (in this radio program with David Suzuki and in his farming talks
                                                internationally –he spoke across parts of Australia recently for example, eg.
                                                see:
                                                -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bushtelegraph/stories/2010/3077380.htm , and:
                                                -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/2910011.htm )
                                                My Reference: -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka
                                                )

                                                Thanks again,
                                                Biggest best wishes to all, all life, all persons, all human persons and
                                                non-human persons.
                                                -> http://www.abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind/stories/2010/3081310.htm

                                                Jason Stewart
                                                —busy in practice in the nature farm, region:far east gippsland, state:
                                                Victoria, Oz
                                                (vernacular for so called Australia).