RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: useful trees

  • yarrow@sfo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- "mcavincheyfrank" <fmcavin@...> wrote:
      > I am wondering whether anyone knows of any trees that produce
      tasty, nutritious leaves?

      Though not technically a tree, the perennial walking kale (also known
      as tree collards) is easy to grow and produces lots of large edible
      leaves. My plants are 7 ft. high, but I've heard of plants that can
      grow over a house (30 ft.) here in northern California, and they are
      very easy to propagate.

      The only significant pest problem I've seen is some bird predation of
      young plants in winter -- I had to cover newly planted cuttings with
      netting.

      Also, the leaves taste best in cool months, when they are sweeter and
      silkier-textured than dinosaur (also called tuscan, black, or
      lacinato) kale or siberian/red/white kale, and have a much milder
      flavor than annual collards. They can still be eaten in warm months,
      but I find them less palatable. Kale always gets a high score for
      nutritional density.

      In the 4-5 years I've been growing them, the plants have not produced
      any flowers or seed.