Re: [fukuoka_farming] Pesticides in fruits

  • yarrow@sfo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      At 11:02 PM -0800 2/28/09, Damodara Das wrote:
      I wanted to know the level of pesticide usage in the following
      Fruits generally available in the market:

      Pomogranates.
      Mangoes
      Papaya
      Banana
      Anjeer
      Custard apples
      Potatoes
      Chikoo
      Apples
      Oranges

      Which of these are comparatively safe to eat?
      You can also recommend some fruits available in the market that are
      comparatively safe to eat.

      In the United States, research done by the Environmental Working
      Group some years ago is often quoted. According to this research,
      mango, papaya, and banana have relatively few pesticide residues;
      oranges a little more; and apples and potatoes have some of the
      highest pesticide residues, so should be organically grown as much as
      possible. This study did not test anjeer, custard apples, chikoo, or
      pomegranates.

      I assume the list would differ for different countries.

      The "dirty dozen" list appears in newspapers and magazines:

      foodnews.org

      RANK FRUIT OR VEGGIE SCORE
      1 (worst) Peaches 100 (highest pesticide load)
      2 Apples 96
      3 Sweet Bell Peppers 86
      4 Celery 85
      5 Nectarines 84
      6 Strawberries 83
      7 Cherries 75
      8 Lettuce 69
      9 Grapes - Imported 68
      10 Pears 65
      11 Spinach 60
      12 Potatoes 58

      The Full List: 43 Fruits & Veggies
      13 Carrots 57
      14 Green Beans 55
      15 Hot Peppers 53
      16 Cucumbers 52
      17 Raspberries 47
      18 Plums 46
      19 Oranges 46
      20 Grapes-Domestic 46
      21 Cauliflower 39
      22 Tangerine 38
      23 Mushrooms 37
      24 Cantaloupe 34
      25 Lemon 31
      26 Honeydew Melon 31
      27 Grapefruit 31
      28 Winter Squash 31
      29 Tomatoes 30
      30 Sweet Potatoes 30
      31 Watermelon 25
      32 Blueberries 24
      33 Papaya 21
      34 Eggplant 19
      35 Broccoli 18
      36 Cabbage 17
      37 Bananas 16
      38 Kiwi 14
      39 Asparagus 11
      40 Sweet Peas-Frozen 11
      41 Mango 9
      42 Pineapples 7
      43 Sweet Corn-Frozen 2
      44 Avocado 1
      45 (best) Onions 1 (lowest pesticide load)

      Note: We ranked a total of 44 different fruits and vegetables but
      grapes are listed twice because we looked at both domestic and
      imported samples.

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        At 2:38 PM -0800 3/1/09, La Clarine Farm wrote:
        Do you have experience with older apple varieties that may be less
        susceptible to all those common apple ailments? I am wondering if those
        older cultivars might be easier to grow naturally.

        Nursery catalogs give this info sometimes. For example, see
        treesofantiquity.com

      • Venkat Rao Jaladi
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009

          Dear Damodara das

          I have no idea how much content pesticide residue is there in the fruits you have asked. I personally we all know that pesticide residues are having a lot of effect on the human health no matter they are in high in residue or low. I better prefer if we can buy the fruits with our local farmers who are growing natural way. I am sure there will be somebody around our area. it is waste of our time discussing about these chemicals and pesticides. the reason  is we know that they are harmful. Instead we think about our natural farming and follow it and grow the best product for our familys and for the society.

          ________________________________
             I wanted to know the level of pesticide usage in the following Fruits generally available in the market:

          Pomogranates.
          Mangoes
          Papaya
          Banana
          Anjeer
          Custard apples
          Potatoes
          Chikoo
          Apples
          Oranges

          Which of these are comparatively safe to eat?
          You can also recommend some fruits available in the market that are comparatively safe to eat.

          Thankyou,
          Damodara Das.
          09426577317

        • Damodara Das
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
            Are these research experiment results applicable in India also?
            Here in Gujarat, India, the local farmers report many opposite results in terms of pesticide sprays.
            For example, the local farmers here report maximum sprays in Eggplant, Cauliflower, Cabbage which is opposite to the result of environmental working group.
            Also for Spinach, Carrot local farmers here report very less sprays which is contrary to the research.

            Waiting for your reply.
            Damodar Das
            +91 9426577317