Pesticides in fruits

  • Damodara Das
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
      Dear Group members.
      Hare Krishna

         I wanted to know the level of pesticide usage in the following Fruits generally available in the market:

      Pomogranates.
      Mangoes
      Papaya
      Banana
      Anjeer
      Custard apples
      Potatoes
      Chikoo
      Apples
      Oranges

      Which of these are comparatively safe to eat?
      You can also recommend some fruits available in the market that are comparatively safe to eat.

      Thankyou,
      Damodara Das.
      09426577317

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
        At 11:02 PM -0800 2/28/09, Damodara Das wrote:
        I wanted to know the level of pesticide usage in the following
        Fruits generally available in the market:

        Pomogranates.
        Mangoes
        Papaya
        Banana
        Anjeer
        Custard apples
        Potatoes
        Chikoo
        Apples
        Oranges

        Which of these are comparatively safe to eat?
        You can also recommend some fruits available in the market that are
        comparatively safe to eat.

        In the United States, research done by the Environmental Working
        Group some years ago is often quoted. According to this research,
        mango, papaya, and banana have relatively few pesticide residues;
        oranges a little more; and apples and potatoes have some of the
        highest pesticide residues, so should be organically grown as much as
        possible. This study did not test anjeer, custard apples, chikoo, or
        pomegranates.

        I assume the list would differ for different countries.

        The "dirty dozen" list appears in newspapers and magazines:

        foodnews.org

        RANK FRUIT OR VEGGIE SCORE
        1 (worst) Peaches 100 (highest pesticide load)
        2 Apples 96
        3 Sweet Bell Peppers 86
        4 Celery 85
        5 Nectarines 84
        6 Strawberries 83
        7 Cherries 75
        8 Lettuce 69
        9 Grapes - Imported 68
        10 Pears 65
        11 Spinach 60
        12 Potatoes 58

        The Full List: 43 Fruits & Veggies
        13 Carrots 57
        14 Green Beans 55
        15 Hot Peppers 53
        16 Cucumbers 52
        17 Raspberries 47
        18 Plums 46
        19 Oranges 46
        20 Grapes-Domestic 46
        21 Cauliflower 39
        22 Tangerine 38
        23 Mushrooms 37
        24 Cantaloupe 34
        25 Lemon 31
        26 Honeydew Melon 31
        27 Grapefruit 31
        28 Winter Squash 31
        29 Tomatoes 30
        30 Sweet Potatoes 30
        31 Watermelon 25
        32 Blueberries 24
        33 Papaya 21
        34 Eggplant 19
        35 Broccoli 18
        36 Cabbage 17
        37 Bananas 16
        38 Kiwi 14
        39 Asparagus 11
        40 Sweet Peas-Frozen 11
        41 Mango 9
        42 Pineapples 7
        43 Sweet Corn-Frozen 2
        44 Avocado 1
        45 (best) Onions 1 (lowest pesticide load)

        Note: We ranked a total of 44 different fruits and vegetables but
        grapes are listed twice because we looked at both domestic and
        imported samples.

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009

          >    I wanted to know the level of pesticide usage in the following
          Fruits generally available in the market:

          > Pomogranates.
          > Mangoes
          > Papaya
          > Banana
          > Anjeer
          > Custard apples
          > Potatoes
          > Chikoo
          > Apples
          > Oranges
          >
          > Which of these are comparatively safe to eat?
          > You can also recommend some fruits available in the market that are
          comparatively safe to eat.

          Banana and Oranges both have peels that humans typically dispose of
          this means, even though bananas tend to be the HIGHEST pesiticide use
          of any fruit, the human exposure remains low...

          although one might forgo bananas on an ethical front...
          ie.. the impact to the environment by use of pesticides, and
          the lack of fair trade establishement for this crop,
          and finally for its high number of travel miles to the consumer

          Oranges likewise are often grown with flood irrigation that is highly
          wasteful of water resources....

          apples are relatively high on the pesticide use as well, due to the
          many diseases that affect this crop.... although organic apples do
          exist...

          I'd have to look up on google the others for more accurate
          information, but my priliminary data indicates that crops like papaya
          would contain less pesticide because they are not widely grown for
          market compared to the other crops. and the fact that papaya (and
          persimmons) are well known for being hardy and resistant to pests and
          diseases

        • yarrow@sfo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
            At 2:38 PM -0800 3/1/09, La Clarine Farm wrote:
            Do you have experience with older apple varieties that may be less
            susceptible to all those common apple ailments? I am wondering if those
            older cultivars might be easier to grow naturally.

            Nursery catalogs give this info sometimes. For example, see
            treesofantiquity.com

          • La Clarine Farm
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
              Jeff (or anyone),

              Do you have experience with older apple varieties that may be less
              susceptible to all those common apple ailments? I am wondering if those
              older cultivars might be easier to grow naturally.

              -Hank

              Jeff wrote:

              > apples are relatively high on the pesticide use as well, due to the
              > many diseases that affect this crop.... although organic apples do
              > exist...

            • Venkat Rao Jaladi
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009

                Dear Damodara das

                I have no idea how much content pesticide residue is there in the fruits you have asked. I personally we all know that pesticide residues are having a lot of effect on the human health no matter they are in high in residue or low. I better prefer if we can buy the fruits with our local farmers who are growing natural way. I am sure there will be somebody around our area. it is waste of our time discussing about these chemicals and pesticides. the reason  is we know that they are harmful. Instead we think about our natural farming and follow it and grow the best product for our familys and for the society.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Are these research experiment results applicable in India also?
                  Here in Gujarat, India, the local farmers report many opposite results in terms of pesticide sprays.
                  For example, the local farmers here report maximum sprays in Eggplant, Cauliflower, Cabbage which is opposite to the result of environmental working group.
                  Also for Spinach, Carrot local farmers here report very less sprays which is contrary to the research.

                  Waiting for your reply.
                  Damodar Das
                  +91 9426577317