RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: useful trees

  • Linda Shewan
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1 2:34 AM
      A number of acacia trees have edible seeds like A. victoriae, A.longifolia
      (also called A.sophorae), A.notabilis, A.retinodes, A.pycnantha and
      A.fimbriata. Mostly, commercial products are prepared by lightly baking the
      seed, then grinding it to a powder. The most popular commercial products
      containing wattle seed are breads, biscuits, cakes, and ice cream - Wattle
      seed is gluten-free and so is suitable for particular diets, but in
      bread-making the absence of gluten affects the texture, and so wattle seed
      flour is combined with a higher proportion of ordinary wheaten flour. Wattle
      seed could be a useful ingredient in diabetic diets, as the carbohydrates
      are absorbed quite slowly, so providing energy over a long period.
      Mongongo trees - Why should we garden, when there are so many mongongo
      trees in the world? - !Kung tribesman. See
      http://permaculture.org.au/2008/11/19/desert-ways/#more-882

      TROPICAL/SUB-TROPICAL ONLY
      Moringa Oleifera - you can use all parts of it! Check this out...
      http://enviro.org.au/article_moringaTree.asp it is truly amazing. I have
      tried to grow some here but it is too cold - Victoria, Australia. I have one
      tree that survived last winter - well it died back to roots and then came
      back in spring - but it is still only 20cm tall whereas it grows really fast
      in sub-tropical/tropical environments. I want a greenhouse (or at least a
      house with north facing windows) sometimes!

      Also the tamarind tree (Tamarindus indica) - it is one of the most useful of
      tropical trees - for shelter, shade, food firebreaks, fuel wood, forage,
      fodder, bee food and mulch. Leaves, flowers and immature pods are eaten as
      vegetables, while these items plus the bark and roots have medicinal
      properties.

      I recommend the books Edible Forest Gardens but Dave Jacke and Eric
      Toensmeier . Book 2 has an amazing appendix cover vast numbers of temperate
      climate edible plants including trees, shrubs, herbs, ground covers and root
      crops. Also http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html is a fantastic
      resource. This search
      http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/find_use?ED_USE=Leaves
      <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/find_use?ED_USE=Leaves&CAN=EDIB>
      &CAN=EDIB lists all the plants with edible leaves, including trees. You can
      click on a tree to get more detailed information. I use this resource
      regularly.

      Hope this helps, or is interesting at least.

      Cheers, Linda

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1 2:06 PM
        --- "mcavincheyfrank" <fmcavin@...> wrote:
        > I am wondering whether anyone knows of any trees that produce
        tasty, nutritious leaves?

        Though not technically a tree, the perennial walking kale (also known
        as tree collards) is easy to grow and produces lots of large edible
        leaves. My plants are 7 ft. high, but I've heard of plants that can
        grow over a house (30 ft.) here in northern California, and they are
        very easy to propagate.

        The only significant pest problem I've seen is some bird predation of
        young plants in winter -- I had to cover newly planted cuttings with
        netting.

        Also, the leaves taste best in cool months, when they are sweeter and
        silkier-textured than dinosaur (also called tuscan, black, or
        lacinato) kale or siberian/red/white kale, and have a much milder
        flavor than annual collards. They can still be eaten in warm months,
        but I find them less palatable. Kale always gets a high score for
        nutritional density.

        In the 4-5 years I've been growing them, the plants have not produced
        any flowers or seed.