Re: Kansas legume type tree

  • jhereg9333
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
      In addition to the trees/shrubs already mentioned, I'd like to add
      young "Rose of Sharon" leaves (sorry, scientific name eludes me atm)
      as well as young maple leaves (Acer spp.). I'm particularly fond of
      the red leaved varieties, they have a deep, rich flavor with some
      slight bitterness.

      Jeremy
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "mcavincheyfrank"
      <fmcavin@...> wrote:

      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the many good ideas. I'm learning so much about
      trees -
      > and
      > > bushes - and, well, life :-) .
      > > Sara
      > >
      > I am wondering whether anyone knows of any trees that produce
      tasty, nutritious leaves? I find it odd that I've never heard of ANY
      trees
      > that are used for the production of leaves for food. Seems like
      there
      > must be something out there that could be at least developed into a
      > good leaf crop.
      >
      > Frank

    • Linda Shewan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        A number of acacia trees have edible seeds like A. victoriae, A.longifolia
        (also called A.sophorae), A.notabilis, A.retinodes, A.pycnantha and
        A.fimbriata. Mostly, commercial products are prepared by lightly baking the
        seed, then grinding it to a powder. The most popular commercial products
        containing wattle seed are breads, biscuits, cakes, and ice cream - Wattle
        seed is gluten-free and so is suitable for particular diets, but in
        bread-making the absence of gluten affects the texture, and so wattle seed
        flour is combined with a higher proportion of ordinary wheaten flour. Wattle
        seed could be a useful ingredient in diabetic diets, as the carbohydrates
        are absorbed quite slowly, so providing energy over a long period.
        Mongongo trees - Why should we garden, when there are so many mongongo
        trees in the world? - !Kung tribesman. See
        http://permaculture.org.au/2008/11/19/desert-ways/#more-882

        TROPICAL/SUB-TROPICAL ONLY
        Moringa Oleifera - you can use all parts of it! Check this out...
        http://enviro.org.au/article_moringaTree.asp it is truly amazing. I have
        tried to grow some here but it is too cold - Victoria, Australia. I have one
        tree that survived last winter - well it died back to roots and then came
        back in spring - but it is still only 20cm tall whereas it grows really fast
        in sub-tropical/tropical environments. I want a greenhouse (or at least a
        house with north facing windows) sometimes!

        Also the tamarind tree (Tamarindus indica) - it is one of the most useful of
        tropical trees - for shelter, shade, food firebreaks, fuel wood, forage,
        fodder, bee food and mulch. Leaves, flowers and immature pods are eaten as
        vegetables, while these items plus the bark and roots have medicinal
        properties.

        I recommend the books Edible Forest Gardens but Dave Jacke and Eric
        Toensmeier . Book 2 has an amazing appendix cover vast numbers of temperate
        climate edible plants including trees, shrubs, herbs, ground covers and root
        crops. Also http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html is a fantastic
        resource. This search
        http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/find_use?ED_USE=Leaves
        <http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/find_use?ED_USE=Leaves&CAN=EDIB>
        &CAN=EDIB lists all the plants with edible leaves, including trees. You can
        click on a tree to get more detailed information. I use this resource
        regularly.

        Hope this helps, or is interesting at least.

        Cheers, Linda

        In addition to the trees/shrubs already mentioned, I'd like to add
        young "Rose of Sharon" leaves (sorry, scientific name eludes me atm)
        as well as young maple leaves (Acer spp.). I'm particularly fond of
        the red leaved varieties, they have a deep, rich flavor with some
        slight bitterness.

        Jeremy
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , "mcavincheyfrank"

        <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , Sara Mandal-Joy <smjlist@>

      • yarrow@sfo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          --- "mcavincheyfrank" <fmcavin@...> wrote:
          > I am wondering whether anyone knows of any trees that produce
          tasty, nutritious leaves?

          Though not technically a tree, the perennial walking kale (also known
          as tree collards) is easy to grow and produces lots of large edible
          leaves. My plants are 7 ft. high, but I've heard of plants that can
          grow over a house (30 ft.) here in northern California, and they are
          very easy to propagate.

          The only significant pest problem I've seen is some bird predation of
          young plants in winter -- I had to cover newly planted cuttings with
          netting.

          Also, the leaves taste best in cool months, when they are sweeter and
          silkier-textured than dinosaur (also called tuscan, black, or
          lacinato) kale or siberian/red/white kale, and have a much milder
          flavor than annual collards. They can still be eaten in warm months,
          but I find them less palatable. Kale always gets a high score for
          nutritional density.

          In the 4-5 years I've been growing them, the plants have not produced
          any flowers or seed.