Re: A small natural farm experiment in south England

  • thomcprestes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2009
      Dear friends,

      I was recently given a small plot in which I'll be experimenting with
      Natural Farming.

      I have of course many doubts, quite a few questions, and I would
      really appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc.

      The plot is about 14 x 5 metres, it's south facing, and it's now full
      of weeds, some bare soil, plants and some grass.

      (Hopefully this link will lead you to a few pictures I took from it:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/thomasprestes Let me know if it does not
      work..!)

      I'm located in south England; it's usually quite wet and it never gets
      so very hot. We've had some frosts and quite a bit of snow this
      winter. Now it's actually warm, but I guess there are still chances of
      frost.

      My plan is to divide the plot in two parts and plant:

      -Rye grain in a clover cover in one part;

      -Corn, beans and squashes in the second part.

      That would be for Spring\Summer.

      For Fall\Winter I thought about:

      Green manure with maybe Rye\Vetch, and probably try to grow some
      winter veggies in it.

      hmm.. how does this sound?!

      In the present moment I think I will follow Raju's suggestion and
      simply sow some clover in the empty spots (leaving the grass and weeds
      covering the other spots), and afterwards I'll try to dibble the corn,
      beans and squashes seeds in one part of the plot and the rye seeds in
      the other part of it.

      Oh, and one of the questions I have and that I would like to ask now
      is concerning the Three Sisters. I'm wondering about the time and
      right distance for planting. Would anyone have some good information
      on that?!

      Anyway, above all I just thought it would be a nice thing to share my
      plans and ideas with you all, and, well, I'd be glad to hear any
      comments, suggestions, etc.

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "thomcprestes"
      <thomcprestes@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > also try to mulch or turn the soil in strips for transplanting your
      > > summer vegetables, leaving strips or areas of rye grass between your
      > > vegetables for weed control and to continually provide mulching
      > > material. But your area is probably too small for strip cropping.
      > >
      > > If your winters are mild, what you can do right now is sowing broad
      > > beans, but don't wait too long. We have discussed this recently, but
      > > here is a short summary: Don't turn the soil, they will grow in
      > > existing vegetation. If you have enough humidity and no rodents, worms
      > > or birds to take the beans, you can simply put them on the soil
      > > surface and cover with a little mulch. I have to punch 2 to 3 inch
      > > deep holes, or else the black birds will pull them from the ground
      > > when they start to germinate. Instead of individual holes, you can
      > > also make furrows with a hoe and sow them in rows. As a cover crop
      > > you can space as close as 1 foot apart in all directions. For
      > > harvesting the beans it's better to have wider spacing. Cut the rye
      > > grass not later than a week after sowing. Broad beans have stronger
      > > growth during the winter than any other cold season annual I know of.
      > > As cover crop the broad beans will provide N for next years summer
      > > vegetables and the rye grass will provide mulch material and biomass.
      > >
      > > I don't remember any Natural Farmers from Italy posting on this list,
      > > if you visit any of them, please let us know what they are doing.
      > > What they grow and how and what their soil is like, etc.
      > >
      > > Dieter Brand
      > > Portugal
      > >
      > > PS: Instead of broad beans you could also use lupines, but they don't
      > > grow quite as quickly. It is probably too cold by now to sow clover
      > > into the rye grass, but the possibilities are infinite.
      > >
      > > PPS: You can also sow cool season small grains such as rye or oats
      > > into the rye grass now.
      > >

      > > On 12/10/08, thomcprestes <thomcprestes@> wrote:
      > > > Dear friends,
      > > >
      > > > I've got two questions I'd like to ask:
      > > >
      > > > -First and a bit more complicated is related to an experiment with
      > > > Natural Farming I'm about to start;
      > > >
      > > > -Second, and simpler, is about Natural Farms in Italy.
      > > >
      > > > Anyway, first of all, since it's my first time writing to the
      group,
      > > > I feel I should try to introduce myself...
      > > >
      > > > So, I'm Thomas, I'm brazilian (also italian citzen..) and, well,
      > > > I've been living in Hampshire, England, since last June, in a
      > > > beautiful school called Brockwood Park.
      > > > Since I've got here I've been working 20 hours a week in the
      > > > school's organic vegetable garden, and so far that's all the
      > > > experience I've got with gardening.
      > > > Last July I found out about Fukuoka, which was really an inspiring
      > > > discovery, and for the last 4 or 5 months I've been following the
      > > > messages in this list (while also reading things here and there)
      > > > trying to clarify and organize my little understanding about
      > > > farming... So, since a little while ago I've been listening to
      Dieter,
      > > > Raju, Kostas, Bob, Gunther, Ben, Nandan, Robin, Laurie, Srinath,
      Jeff,
> [...]
      > > > but I do think it's really great what you are doing here, and,
      if you
      > > > want to know, it has actually changed things a lot to me, and in a
      > > > very good way, I believe.
      > > >
      > > > Anyway, I'm sorry if I'm writing too much: I'll try to be more
      > brief.
      > > >
      > > > It happens I'm now beginning to research about crops I could grow
      > > > here, probably in a very tiny piece of land (perhaps 15 meters
      square
      > > > for a start, but still not sure: I might be able to get a bit more
      > > > than that...), in a walled vegetable garden, as an experiment. If
      > > > things go well, I would maybe have enough credibility to ask for
      more
      > > > space.
      > > > In the moment I'm trying to find out which would be natives
      and more
      > > > adapted crops, the most natural ones, as well as a good system of
      > > > rotation and companion planting.
      > > > About the crops I would grow, as I said, I haven't really decided
      > > > anything, but I thought it would be nice and useful to have at least
      > > > one grain, apart from vegetables, legumes, some herbs and flowers. I
      > > > just don't know how doable it will be, since my space might be quite
      > > > small (I wonder if this idea of a "miniature natural farm" would
      > > > actually work).
      > > > The plot I would use has some rye grass on it, and it has very
      good
      > > > (I guess 'loamy' would be the word) soil. It was used for growing
      > > > carrots among other crops in the past, but it's been on rye
      grass for
      > > > 3 years. There is lime stone bed rock underneath the whole vegetable
      > > > garden, which probably makes the soil alkaline and -as it is- quite
      > > > full of worms. My space would be on the corner of the walled
      vegetable
      > > > garden, about 5 meters from the west and south walls, with farly
      good
      > > > amount of sun throughout the year. I mean, it's south England,
      there's
      > > > not a lot of sun specially in winter time, and we've got a lot
      of rain
      > > > and humidity, some frosts during autumn\winter (we've actually had
      > > > very few this year, and it hasn't been so cold), and there is a
      bit of
      > > > a rabbit problem in the garden, even if it has walls around it.
      > > > Hm, what else... I know (concerning 'grains') that amaranth and
      > > > quinoa were already grown quite sucessfully in this veggie
      garden, but
      > > > still I wonder what would be the more natural, native and\or more
      > > > adapted things to the area, and which ones would grow and
      produce good
      > > > amount of food harmoniously together.
      > > >
      > > > Well... if anyone could help me out with any suggestions on how to
      > > > start or anything else, I would be very glad.

      > > > Then, apart from all that, my second question is: I'm going to
      Italy