Re: Scythes

  • kw20082008
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2009
      Steve,
      The scything reminds me of nettles.
      I have 3 hectares just near my house in France. We keep 7 horses, 1
      goat, 3 chickens, 3 dogs, 2 cats.
      I used to think of nettles as my enemies - there were faily large areas
      where they would dominate.
      Until I realised I can make use of them and then I couldn't wait for
      them to grow fast enough!
      I would cut them with a scythe, spread them around on the ground and 2-3
      days later I would give them to the horses who did not leave anything on
      the ground...
      I guess they loved the iron inside the nettles:=)

      Farm with your heart
      Christopher

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@...>
      wrote:

      > To all,
      > The scythe is the fundamental tool for Natural
      > Farming. Its application in the garden is the cutting of green
      > material to be added to the garden rows or growing areas. Fukuoka said
      > that he kept the cut materials long and not shredded or chopped. This
      > simple tool supplies you with all of the mulching materials needed for
      > successful plant growth. The scythe can also be used to harvest hay
      > and grain crops by hand. The hay can be used for mulch or litter for
      > the chickens or animal fodder. When I talk about scything I call it
      > the “future of farming”. Fields not in vegetable
      production can be