Re: [fukuoka_farming] Eco-friendly mosquito control in UAE.

  • yarrow@sfo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2009
      At 9:19 AM -0800 2/9/09, brian kennedy wrote:
      on the blog "easyidler"su in south africa says she uses lavender oil
      for mosquitoes.

      I don't live in a place where mosquitoes are a big problem, so I
      don't have experience trying remedies. When there is a mosquito in
      the area, it bites me, and when I did live in an area that had lots
      of them, I got many bites. But I do have one data point. Some years
      ago when I was car-camping in the summer near a lake that did have
      mosquitoes, I dabbed essential oil of lavender on my skin -- so much
      that the whole car smelled like lavender. I left the windows open,
      because it was a warm summer night. I got no bites, and did not even
      get buzzed by mosquitoes.

      The concentration of lavender needed to keep the mosquitoes away was
      much greater than you could get from planting a few lavender shrubs,
      however, and it was in a partly enclosed space.

      If the bites are an annoyance rather than a health hazard, it's
      possible to make the bites go away quickly. I've used herbal salves
      that I made. My skin is quite reactive and shows a large reddish
      itchy bump soon after being bitten, but when I've applied the salve
      immediately, I've watched the bump and redness and itching disappear
      within a minute.