Wildfires in Australia, here, especially in Victoria on Saturday 7th Feb.

  • macropneuma
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10 2:20 AM
      Hoping all members here and their friends and family are alive, well &
      safe after the indescribably bad wildfires here in Australia, in
      Victoria on Saturday the 7th February 2009 -Black Saturday-.Friends of
      mine are affected. As a child and teenager i was in Narbethong and
      Marysville, Victoria, staying with friends many times, countless times.
      In both those villages almost all homes and buildings were burn't to the
      ground on Saturday evening.My friends house and many people they know
      from there.Not to mention the incinerated forest plants and animals,
      many of which will however also eventually reproduce and eventually
      recover their populations too.Other friends from my farm area of far
      eastern Victoria are high achieving professional firefighters, who may
      get flown in to these wildfires for their advanced operations. I have
      yet to hear if they are all alright.
      Please everyone around the planet donate to support the surviving
      victims, most, about 5000 or more people are now homeless.Many who
      survived with only the clothes they were wearing at the time when they
      suddenly had to flee for their lives.Donate at
      http://www.redcross.org.au/ Red Cross Australia - this is the official
      Victorian Bushfire Relief Appeal. In two days so far about Australian
      $30,000,000 has been raised, but much more is needed in the
      circumstances at hand.
      For up to date professional information go to:The Age - Melbourne and
      Victoria's newspaper at:http://www.theage.com.au/and to the Australian
      Broadcasting Commission, our national public broadcaster
      at:http://www.abc.net.au/
      If anyone here is on Facebook, there are many groups and pages of
      information on other avenues for donating and helping. Not least is a
      group which has all the opportunities i know of for locals and people
      around the planet to help and to donate: ->
      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=64868805824 <- which i've been
      working very hard on supporting, after we set it up early on Sunday
      morning after waking up to more knowledge of the indescribably bad
      wildfires the night before. In addition to many other groups on this
      cause i support. Please join this group and spread word of it, so as
      to spread word of the need to donate & help.
      My natural farm is about 250 km's to 500 km's east of the various
      indescribable wildfires, which are in west gippsland, central Victoria,
      western Victoria and north-east Victoria. It's is fine at my farm now,
      although on that day when it was 46 C in those fire zones, it was also
      44-45 C in the region of my farm - these heatwaves alone affecting
      people, plants and animals very badly. There are many areas scorched
      down to mineral earth by those wildfires, which were/are farms, natural
      or otherwise, and many which are natural areas of sclerophyll forests,
      rainforests and woodlands with Australian natural foods. They all have
      to recover with human support. There are wildlife care agencies which
      need enormous support now. There are many farmers, natural or otherwise
      who also need enormous support now. The areas burn't are hundreds of
      thousand of hectares. Many of which are rural or farming areas, but many
      are natural areas to. However unlike the millions of hectares burn't in
      Victoria in the previous 8 years which were mostly natural areas, much
      more is farm land and rural land burn't out in this last wildfire. If
      any of you would like more information on where to support these
      specific farming or wildlife support organisations, please let me know
      here.
      Regards,
                        Jase.

    • La Clarine Farm
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10 5:54 AM
        Jase,

        thanks for the updates and links. The fires there are a terrible and
        frightening reminder of how mismanagement of our planet has horrible
        consequences. We have wildfires every year here in California, although
        nothing on this scale. But I think the Australian fires may be a
        glimpse into the future for many areas, including mine.

        I am glad you are safe - please stay so!

        All best wishes,

        Hank