Re: [fukuoka_farming] slow mail delivery

  • Stephen Canner
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
      > From: La Clarine Farm <laclarinefarm@...>
      > Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 7:46 PM
      > Why would anybody on this list (who must register to be on
      > it) get blocked as spam? That doesn't make sense to me.
      > -Hank

      Spammers use mailing lists as a gold mine source to get their e-mails out. If you think about it it makes sense, one e-mail address gets delivered to over 1300 people in the case of this list and over 1500 in the case of another (music related) list I run.

      The only reason you don't see spam on this list is because I very deliberately monitor who is signing up and what they're posting. I ban spammers who have registered every single week.

      The flaw is really somewhere in Yahoo's spam logic. When a moderated member of the list posts (basically any new member that I've not gotten around to setting to "allowed to post unmoderated") I get a notification e-mail from Yahoo. I've even seen Yahoo's spam-bot mark their own notification e-mails as spam. Initially I thought it had something to do with e-mails with embedded URLs...but I see those e-mails make it through sometimes...so...I promise that I'll pay more attention to the spam section for this list and try not to make the delays so long. I think that's about all we can do. This is a free service, after all, and I go back to the days of running manual listservs so I appreciate the simplicity that Yahoo offers despite its flaws.

      Or...we could all just go back to an analog model and send each other handwritten letters? :) (Joking of course...although the idea does appeal sometimes.)

      Stephen Lee Canner
      Austin, Texas
      http://www.thevictormourning.com
      http://www.myspace.com/thevictormourning