RE: [fukuoka_farming] slow mail delivery

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
      I think I know why but to test my theory I’ll have to re-enter my original
      post so here goes…

      Hello all,

      With so much energy and support, upgrading the website is going to be very
      exciting.

      I “revisited” the website this morning page by page and was amazed at the
      amount of information on it. I’d forgotten how much time and effort was
      invested in it. Makes it more understandable why the website has remained so
      popular even though it has not been updated in so long. There is useful
      information there that is not available anywhere else on the web and other
      information that is very hard to find elsewhere. All of it seems useful to
      anyone interested in natural farming.

      I can handle the structural revisions and upgrades to the website. It’s one
      of the things I do for a living. Where I can use help is in three areas:

      Translating some of the original material into other languages.
      Gathering information that should be included/posted on the website.
      Brainstorming, input and feedback on how the website structure and features
      should be revised/added.

      On translating, I think it is fantastic that we can get articles written in
      English translated into Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French (thank you
      Thomas), Cebuano (thank you Jean), and Hindi (thank you Raju). Also, it
      would be useful to get articles written in non-English translated into
      English. We have a few of those on the website already. Language should not
      be a barrier to communicating useful information on how to sustainably
      produce nourishing food.

      I can easily set up the ability for users accessing the website to choose
      which language they want to read the information in. What we need is
      translations.

      No matter how the website gets revised, the following documents will always
      form the foundation and should be translated as soon as possible.

      An Introduction to Masanobu Fukuoka
      Overview of Fukuoka Farming
      The philosophy of Masanobu Fukuoka
      The Synergistic Agriculture of Emilia Hazelip
      The Fundamental Reality that Underlies Fukuoka’s Principles
      The Synergistic Garden
      Interpreting Masanobu Fukuoka’s Writings
      The Living Soil

      Translating all of that is a daunting task, but the sooner we get it done
      the sooner we can set up the different language sections and make all of the
      information available to non-English readers. I suggest if you want to do
      the translating then download each of the pages and begin to do so. Let me
      know what you are working on so that we don’t have more than one person
      doing the same translation into the same language.

      So that we don’t clutter this mailing list with somewhat off-topic
      conversation about the translating, let’s use direct email for now and later
      I’ll set up a mailing list at the website just for the translators. You can
      email me at:

      webmasterATfukuokafarmingolDOTinfo

      I spelled that out to avoid having that email address picked up by spiders
      and sold to spammers. I suggest all of you do that whenever you are putting
      your email address in public forums such as this one.

      On gathering information, if there is anything any of you think should be
      included in or posted on the website you can send information to me via this
      forum or directly to the email address above. You can also send requests for
      information you would like to have gathered and posted on the website and I’
      ll see what I can do.

      On brainstorming, any and all ideas and suggestions on what should be
      included or revised on the website are most welcome. You can send them to me
      directly at the webmaster email address or you can post it on this mailing
      list. Posting it here might be the better choice as it might inspire others
      to comment on or add to the ideas and think of others. Also, it would give
      visibility about what is going on with the website to everyone on this list
      and I think that is important.

      This is really getting exciting. It feels good to be back.

      Larry
      http://fukuokafarmingol.info <http://fukuokafarmingol.info/>

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
        -Larry, Yes mail is inconsistent, your message ended up in spam and at
        the post. Steve

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
          Hello Stephen,

          Been a long time. I figured it might be the spam filter blocking the message
          but I can't figure out what in the message is triggering it. That can be
          problematical. My system has a spam filter that gives me three action
          options when it detects what it thinks is spam: delete the message, move it
          to a hold folder, or put *****SPAM**** in the message subject line and
          deliver the message. I use that last option so that nothing gets lost or
          takes more time to review than necessary. Oddly enough, some of the messages
          I get from this list get the spam tag on them. Not many but some.

          Thanks for releasing those messages. Glad to see you are still actively
          monitoring the list.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
            Why would anybody on this list (who must register to be on it) get
            blocked as spam? That doesn't make sense to me.

            -Hank

            Larry Haftl wrote:

            > Hello Stephen,
            >
            > Been a long time. I figured it might be the spam filter blocking the
            > message
            > but I can't figure out what in the message is triggering it. That can be
            > problematical. My system has a spam filter that gives me three action
            > options when it detects what it thinks is spam: delete the message,
            > move it
            > to a hold folder, or put *****SPAM**** in the message subject line and
            > deliver the message. I use that last option so that nothing gets lost or
            > takes more time to review than necessary. Oddly enough, some of the
            > messages
            > I get from this list get the spam tag on them. Not many but some.
            >
            > Thanks for releasing those messages. Glad to see you are still actively
            > monitoring the list.
            >
            > Larry
            > http://fukuokafarmingol.info <http://fukuokafarmingol.info>
            > <http://fukuokafarmingol.info/ <http://fukuokafarmingol.info/>>

          • Stephen Canner
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2009
              > From: La Clarine Farm <laclarinefarm@...>
              > Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 7:46 PM
              > Why would anybody on this list (who must register to be on
              > it) get blocked as spam? That doesn't make sense to me.
              > -Hank

              Spammers use mailing lists as a gold mine source to get their e-mails out. If you think about it it makes sense, one e-mail address gets delivered to over 1300 people in the case of this list and over 1500 in the case of another (music related) list I run.

              The only reason you don't see spam on this list is because I very deliberately monitor who is signing up and what they're posting. I ban spammers who have registered every single week.

              The flaw is really somewhere in Yahoo's spam logic. When a moderated member of the list posts (basically any new member that I've not gotten around to setting to "allowed to post unmoderated") I get a notification e-mail from Yahoo. I've even seen Yahoo's spam-bot mark their own notification e-mails as spam. Initially I thought it had something to do with e-mails with embedded URLs...but I see those e-mails make it through sometimes...so...I promise that I'll pay more attention to the spam section for this list and try not to make the delays so long. I think that's about all we can do. This is a free service, after all, and I go back to the days of running manual listservs so I appreciate the simplicity that Yahoo offers despite its flaws.

              Or...we could all just go back to an analog model and send each other handwritten letters? :) (Joking of course...although the idea does appeal sometimes.)