Re: [fukuoka_farming] Controlling Mosquitoes with Plants or other Natural Products.

  • George.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
      Maybe try doing something to attract spiders around your garden & house.

      From: Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 12:46 PM

      Dear Edward,

      Generally people grow lawn and most unwanted so called ornamental plants

      unnaturally they use many harmful chemicals and irrigate many times and in

      cities drainage of effluent is not proper. Mosquito's like this atmosphere.

      People do not like lizards,spiders and other predators.Therefore problem of

      mosquito's is every were.

      Thank

      Raju

      On 2/5/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      > > > Hi Friends,

      > > > I have a garden in front of my house which

      > > has a

      > > > lawn,canna,arecapal ms,golden duranta, crotons

      > > ,hibiscus

      > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.

      > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes

      > > > descend and make it

      > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the

      > > evening

      > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray

      > > with

      > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.

      > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes

      > > etc

      > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil

      > > but

      > > > it has not worked.

      > > > thanks

      > > > regards

      > > > ed

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
        dear friend,
        Please control irrigation and cleaning of weeds,spiderwebs etc. and see what
        happened.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On 2/5/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

        > Dear Raju,
        > I have never used any chemicals or chemical pesticides on my
        > lawn and other ornamental plants.As for irrigation normal irrigation once a
        > day is done with a pipe.
        > Pls advise abt what cud be done
        > regards
        > ed
        >
        > --- On Fri, 2/6/09, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...<rajuktitus%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        > From: Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>>
        > Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Controlling Mosquitoes with Plants or other
        > Natural Products.
        > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 12:46 PM
        >
        > Dear Edward,
        >
        > Generally people grow lawn and most unwanted so called ornamental plants
        >
        > unnaturally they use many harmful chemicals and irrigate many times and in
        >
        > cities drainage of effluent is not proper. Mosquito's like this atmosphere.
        >
        > People do not like lizards,spiders and other predators.Therefore problem of
        >
        > mosquito's is every were.
        >
        > Thank
        >
        > Raju

        > > > has a

        > > > ,hibiscus

        > > > evening

        > > > with

        > > > etc

        > > > but

      • Douglas Barnes
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
          Got yeast? Try this out, Ed:
          http://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316

          I hope that helps.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, edward barton
          <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

          > > > Hi Friends,

          > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes
          > > > descend and make it
          > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the
          > > evening
          > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray
          > > with
          > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.

          > > > regards
          > > > ed

        • eternicide
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
            Hi Ed,
            I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found
            very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.
            Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or
            buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!
            Also do you have bats in your area?
            If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a
            google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.
            -Emily

            <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

            > > > Hi Friends,
            > > > I have a garden in front of my house which
            > > has a
            > > > lawn,canna,arecapalms,golden duranta, crotons
            > > ,hibiscus
            > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.
            > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes
            > > > descend and make it
            > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the
            > > evening
            > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray
            > > with
            > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.
            > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes
            > > etc
            > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil
            > > but
            > > > it has not worked.
            > > > thanks
            > > > regards
            > > > ed

          • Nicholas Pierotti
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
              Better even than bats are dragonflies. If you can get a population of dragonflies they will wipe out
              your mosquito population.

              Dragonflies work during he daylight and dusk/dawn hours, and then, if you have a few batboxes,
              you'll have bats eating the night mosquitoes.

              On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0000, eternicide wrote
              > Hi Ed,
              > I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found
              > very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.
              > Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or
              > buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!
              > Also do you have bats in your area?
              > If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a
              > google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.
              > -Emily
              >
              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, edward barton

              > > > has a
              > > > ,hibiscus
              > > > evening
              > > > with
              > > > etc
              > > > but

            • edward barton
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                Friends,
                           Thanks very much  for all the friends who have sent suggestions. I am now better
                           informed to tackle the mosquito problem.
                           I am not sure how to make dragonflies come in the garden
                         .There are bats  who roost in trees some distance away.Ill try to have a few batboxes in my property and try it out.
                          A friend on this forum has suggested using citronella oil.Ill try that also.
                           Once again thanks everyone.
                regards
                ed

                Better even than bats are dragonflies. If you can get a population of dragonflies they will wipe out

                your mosquito population.

                Dragonflies work during he daylight and dusk/dawn hours, and then, if you have a few batboxes,

                you'll have bats eating the night mosquitoes.

                On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0000, eternicide wrote

                > Hi Ed,

                > I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found

                > very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.

                > Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or

                > buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!

                > Also do you have bats in your area?

                > If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a

                > google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.

                > -Emily

                > --- In fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com, edward barton

                > > > has a

                > > > ,hibiscus

                > > > evening

                > > > with

                > > > etc

                > > > but

              • Arlo
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 2009
                  Hi Ed,
                  Here is SE Asia we grow Lemongrass around our house. It has been said to me that this
                  helps deter mosquitoes. I can't say for sure if it does or not because we planted them
                  when we built our house and I can't be sure if it would be any different without them. We
                  do have fish, frogs, dragonflies and bats around so this might also be the real reason we
                  have so few. When the grass gets to tall we give it a haircut and burn it, I know first hand
                  that the burning of it helps and know other people who do the same. You kinda have to
                  burn a lot though. If your in a city or town this might not set well with your neighbors...
                  Good luck. Arlo