Re: [fukuoka_farming] Controlling Mosquitoes with Plants or other Natural Products.

  • cheluvaraj
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
      hello ED,

      Your question made me to think so I searched the web and got some good articles which basically answers your question. hope this helps

      http://www.mosquito-netting.com/predators.html

      http://www.healthmad.com/Occupational-Health-and-Safety/Mosquito-Spray-or-Natural-Predator-Controls-.24392

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito

      Raj

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
        Dear Edward,
        Generally people grow lawn and most unwanted so called ornamental plants
        unnaturally they use many harmful chemicals and irrigate many times and in
        cities drainage of effluent is not proper. Mosquito's like this atmosphere.
        People do not like lizards,spiders and other predators.Therefore problem of
        mosquito's is every were.
        Thank
        Raju

        On 2/5/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

        > > > Hi Friends,
        > > > I have a garden in front of my house which
        > > has a
        > > > lawn,canna,arecapalms,golden duranta, crotons
        > > ,hibiscus
        > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.
        > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes
        > > > descend and make it
        > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the
        > > evening
        > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray
        > > with
        > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.
        > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes
        > > etc
        > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil
        > > but
        > > > it has not worked.
        > > > thanks
        > > > regards
        > > > ed

      • edward barton
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2009
          Dear Raju,
                         I have never used any chemicals or chemical pesticides on my lawn and other ornamental plants.As for irrigation normal irrigation once a day is done with a pipe.
                         Pls advise abt what cud be done
          regards
          ed

          On 2/5/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > > > Hi Friends,

          > > > I have a garden in front of my house which

          > > has a

          > > > lawn,canna,arecapal ms,golden duranta, crotons

          > > ,hibiscus

          > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.

          > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes

          > > > descend and make it

          > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the

          > > evening

          > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray

          > > with

          > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.

          > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes

          > > etc

          > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil

          > > but

          > > > it has not worked.

          > > > thanks

          > > > regards

          > > > ed

        • George.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
            Maybe try doing something to attract spiders around your garden & house.

            Generally people grow lawn and most unwanted so called ornamental plants

            unnaturally they use many harmful chemicals and irrigate many times and in

            cities drainage of effluent is not proper. Mosquito's like this atmosphere.

            People do not like lizards,spiders and other predators.Therefore problem of

            mosquito's is every were.

            Thank

            Raju

            On 2/5/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > > > Hi Friends,

            > > > I have a garden in front of my house which

            > > has a

            > > > lawn,canna,arecapal ms,golden duranta, crotons

            > > ,hibiscus

            > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.

            > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes

            > > > descend and make it

            > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the

            > > evening

            > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray

            > > with

            > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.

            > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes

            > > etc

            > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil

            > > but

            > > > it has not worked.

            > > > thanks

            > > > regards

            > > > ed

          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
              dear friend,
              Please control irrigation and cleaning of weeds,spiderwebs etc. and see what
              happened.
              Thanks

            • Douglas Barnes
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                Got yeast? Try this out, Ed:
                http://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316

                I hope that helps.

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, edward barton
                <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

                > > > Hi Friends,

                > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes
                > > > descend and make it
                > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the
                > > evening
                > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray
                > > with
                > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.

                > > > regards
                > > > ed

              • eternicide
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Hi Ed,
                  I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found
                  very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.
                  Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or
                  buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!
                  Also do you have bats in your area?
                  If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a
                  google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.
                  -Emily

                  <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

                  > > > Hi Friends,
                  > > > I have a garden in front of my house which
                  > > has a
                  > > > lawn,canna,arecapalms,golden duranta, crotons
                  > > ,hibiscus
                  > > > etc.There is a grove of euclyptus trees very close by.
                  > > > My problem is that after sunset mosquitoes
                  > > > descend and make it
                  > > > impossible to sit in the verandah and enjoy the
                  > > evening
                  > > > breeze .I go inside the room rather than try to spray
                  > > with
                  > > > chemical mosquitoe repellants etc.
                  > > > Can you advise planting some plants, bushes
                  > > etc
                  > > > that wud repell the mosquitoes.I have tried with basil
                  > > but
                  > > > it has not worked.
                  > > > thanks
                  > > > regards
                  > > > ed

                • Nicholas Pierotti
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Better even than bats are dragonflies. If you can get a population of dragonflies they will wipe out
                    your mosquito population.

                    Dragonflies work during he daylight and dusk/dawn hours, and then, if you have a few batboxes,
                    you'll have bats eating the night mosquitoes.

                    On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0000, eternicide wrote
                    > Hi Ed,
                    > I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found
                    > very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.
                    > Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or
                    > buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!
                    > Also do you have bats in your area?
                    > If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a
                    > google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.
                    > -Emily
                    >
                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, edward barton

                    > > > has a
                    > > > ,hibiscus
                    > > > evening
                    > > > with
                    > > > etc
                    > > > but

                  • edward barton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
                      Friends,
                                 Thanks very much  for all the friends who have sent suggestions. I am now better
                                 informed to tackle the mosquito problem.
                                 I am not sure how to make dragonflies come in the garden
                               .There are bats  who roost in trees some distance away.Ill try to have a few batboxes in my property and try it out.
                                A friend on this forum has suggested using citronella oil.Ill try that also.
                                 Once again thanks everyone.
                      regards
                      ed

                      Better even than bats are dragonflies. If you can get a population of dragonflies they will wipe out

                      your mosquito population.

                      Dragonflies work during he daylight and dusk/dawn hours, and then, if you have a few batboxes,

                      you'll have bats eating the night mosquitoes.

                      On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 17:06:34 -0000, eternicide wrote

                      > Hi Ed,

                      > I have the same problem here. Ive done some research but havent found

                      > very much useful in terms of plants that will repel them.

                      > Make sure there is no standing water nearby, either as ponds or

                      > buckets or birdbaths, Nothing!

                      > Also do you have bats in your area?

                      > If so, build a few bat boxes. Theres plans for them online, just do a

                      > google search. Bats eat ALOT of mosquitoes.

                      > -Emily

                      > --- In fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com, edward barton

                      > > > has a

                      > > > ,hibiscus

                      > > > evening

                      > > > with

                      > > > etc

                      > > > but

                    • Arlo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 10, 2009
                        Hi Ed,
                        Here is SE Asia we grow Lemongrass around our house. It has been said to me that this
                        helps deter mosquitoes. I can't say for sure if it does or not because we planted them
                        when we built our house and I can't be sure if it would be any different without them. We
                        do have fish, frogs, dragonflies and bats around so this might also be the real reason we
                        have so few. When the grass gets to tall we give it a haircut and burn it, I know first hand
                        that the burning of it helps and know other people who do the same. You kinda have to
                        burn a lot though. If your in a city or town this might not set well with your neighbors...
                        Good luck. Arlo