Re: outreach

  • grannis04
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 4, 2009
      --
      Thomas, The Fukuoka web-site definitely needs an update since it's
      been over three years since there has been any activity. You would
      think that the passing of Fukuoka this past August would have been
      noted. There has been increased interest in NF methods that is not
      reflected at the web-site.
      I would be interested in helping but I am a bit of a Luddite
      when it comes to computer tech. I can offer reports on my own
      experience. The suggestions you make are all good and would provide a
      good resource for practitioners and people interested in NF. The new
      release of "One Straw Revolution" is a sign of current interest.
      Because Fukuoka's experience was based mostly in Japan we need the
      input of farmers from varied climates and growing zones.
      Good Growing, Steve

      - In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "thomcprestes"
      <thomcprestes@...> wrote:

      > Steve and everyone else,
      >
      > I've also been thinking about the 'outreach' of NF, and as I said in
      > a previous message, I think it would be very nice to have a list of
      > Natural Farms around the world...
      > In order to have that, I thought about creating a website or
      > something similar. Then after a while I realized it would make
      > much more sense to offer help to improve an already existent website,
      > such as the Fukuoka Farming Website, rather than creating a new one on
      > my own.
      > Therefore, I've sent an email to the Fukuoka Farming Website
      > (http://fukuokafarmingol.info/) offering my help in 1) having an
      > up to date list of Natural Farmers around the world, 2) keeping an
      > up to date list of Meetings, Events, Courses, etc., and 3) translating
      > the website into other languages.
      > I still haven't got an answer, but I thought it would be a good
      > thing to let you people know about all that... Perhaps some of you
      > might be interested in joining forces?
      > Also, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, critics, etc., I
      > would be glad to listen to them.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Thomas
      >

      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
      > > I believe that talks at libraries or community
      > > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge all to
      > > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
      > > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time. Where
      > > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the local
      > > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
      > > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more food
      > > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
      > > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
      > > input/high yield crops.
      > > Thanks, Steve G

    • Larry Haftl
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
        Hello Thomas, Steve and everyone else,

        I'm Larry Haftl, the creator and owner of the Fukuoka Farming website.

        The website was created when I was living in Oregon and trying to practice
        natural farming on a 1-acre home site. That ended a few years ago when
        circumstances brought me back to the Chicago area with no place to
        farm/garden. I left the website up but didn't have the time or motivation to
        update it. Last month I got a notice that it was time to renew the domain
        registration. I thought that by now there would be at least one or more
        websites dealing with natural farming that were better and more popular than
        mine. After doing some research I've found that such is not the case. I also
        found out that, as Steve pointed out, interest in Fukuoka's methods has
        grown significantly but Internet support for that interest has not grown.
        The Fukuoka Farming website is still one of the most popular in this area
        even though it has not been updated for several years.

        What seems to be missing from both the website and the Internet is a vibrant
        communications hub for the community of people interested in using, or at
        least understanding Fukuoka's methods to grow food in a more sustainable and
        enriching way. This Yahoo forum is certainly useful, but it is also limited.
        The website was built to be an information resource rather than an active
        communications hub. It can, however, be modified to do just that. Given the
        persistent access to the website and the comments here in this forum, it
        seems worthwhile to do that.

        I've renewed the domain registration and am redesigning the website to be a
        much more effective hub for active communication and community-building for
        people interested in doing and using natural farming. The foundation will
        always be the philosophy and methods of Masanobu Fukuoka, but I believe the
        scope of the website should be expanded to include information on extending
        and applying that foundation so that more people can adapt and incorporate
        his methods in their practices and projects.

        If any of you have suggestions or features and functions you think would be
        useful in the revised website I would welcome hearing from you either
        through this forum or through the website.

        Thomas, I just got your email. You have several good ideas that I think
        would be worth incorporating in the revised website. I can do all the
        website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
        Getting information and translating it into other languages is where I can
        use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
        leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural farming
        activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having a place
        where people can easily post that information will definitely be a part of
        the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.

        To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I didn't learn
        of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
        immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three
        years.

        Larry Haftl

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
          -

          Larry, Thank you for your response and for your efforts in regards to
          the Fukuoka web-site.
          Hope you can find some land to enjoy. There is another resource
          for NF and that is farmingsecrets.com. I found this on u-tube and
          there is also many videos of people demonstrating NF methods.
          Permaculture has also incorporated much of Fukuoka's methods and there
          is a lot of overlap of knowledge. The ideas and science behind
          soil biology is an exploding field knowledge that continues to
          validate NF.
          Good Luck, Steve

          -- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Haftl" <lawrence@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
          > Getting information and translating it into other languages is where
          I can
          > use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
          > leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural
          farming
          > activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having
          a place
          > where people can easily post that information will definitely be a
          part of
          > the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.
          >
          > To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I
          didn't learn
          > of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
          > immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
            Dear Larry,
            Thanks for this information. This is very useful for many Fukuoka's. I am
            not good in English but as a natural farmer wants to cooperate. But do not
            know how?
            Thanks
            Raju

            On 2/6/09, Larry Haftl <lawrence@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > would be worth incorporating in the revised website. I can do all the
            > website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
            > Getting information and translating it into other languages is where I can
            > use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
            > leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural
            > farming
            > activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having a place
            > where people can easily post that information will definitely be a part of
            > the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.
            >
            > To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I didn't
            > learn
            > of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
            > immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three

          • N. J. Pierotti
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
              My name is Nicholas Pierotti, and i have been a follower of Fukuoka's
              philosophy since I first read The One Straw Revolution as an
              undergraduate, in 1978. My backyard on the West Side of Santa Cruz,
              California was completely farmed according to Fukuoka's doctrines,
              feeding my family and producing hundreds of the most gorgeous antique
              roses ever grown. It thrived for 25 years until I sold the property
              in 2003 to move out of the rat-race Santa Cruz had become.

              During that time, i supported my Fukuoka farming habit working as a
              Technical Writer in the Silicon Valley, mostly on offsite contracts.
              I worked with many of the biggest and most infamous companies,
              incuding Apple and Netscape.

              I would be happy to work with you in upgrading the Fukuoka Farming
              Website.

              Nicholas Pierotti
              eurydice@...

              You can reach me at 707-468-5404 x116, or leave me a message at
              707-374-6619.

              Otherwise, please email me for my current telephone number.

              I am a Technical Writing professional, who has been active in the
              Internet and Telecommunications industry for over 15 years, writing
              some of the most complex and concise documentation in the Valley. I
              am currently writing four administrative guides for Cisco, on the
              administration of webservers and log servers.

              Prior to that, I wrote Leopard Server documentation for Apple, and
              was the Principal Writer on Apple's OpenDoc, which initiated the drag-
              and-drop revolution. I was the original API Writer for Sun's
              foundations classes, embedding my documentation directly into the
              code. I was the API Documentation Manager at Kana, which was a
              pioneer in telecommunications software, and I wrote Netscape's
              Systems Administration Guide for the original online shopping
              platform (which was implemented and instantiated later by Amazon and
              eBay and countless others).

              I have also worked as a Senior Technical Writer with ARC
              International, a leading developer of user-customizable, high-
              performance 32-bit processor cores, development tools, synthesizable
              peripherals, and other cutting edge intellectual property (IP). I
              wrote and formatted their most high-level material (samples upon
              request).

              I can handle any assignment.

              I am an API documentation expert (over 10+ years experience).
              I wrote much of the original API documentation for Apple and SUN.
              I am a FrameMaker Guru, an HTML and XML user, and am one of the top
              Technical Writers in the Silicon Valley, with 15+ years experience
              writing and managing at companies like Apple, SUN, Netscape, and
              Oracle. I've written API for Java, C, and C++ (13 years experience).

              CONTACT ME AT eurydice@...

              Extensive samples in PDF format are available upon request.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                Hello Steve,

                I'm thinking of doing some guerilla gardening this coming spring. I live
                across the road from a very large prairie conservation area. They do a
                controlled burn on it each spring. I'm thinking of spreading some seedballs
                around before the burn to see what happens. Also thinking of doing some
                planting in the nearby forest preserve. Should be fun and gives me an excuse
                to mess about with seedballs again.

                I visited that website as was struck by how commercial it seemed. I don't
                have anything against some commercialism to help pay the website bills, I'm
                just leery of sites that offer no content unless you give them your email
                address to get access. Since there is no privacy policy offered who knows
                how many spam lists your email ends up on.

                Fukuoka definitely influenced a LOT of people including the original
                developers of permaculture. I remember reading something about Fukuoka not
                being happy about permaculture, but some people have found value in
                permaculture practices. Personally, I find successful adaptations of
                Fukuoka's methods to be interesting. Emila Hazelip's efforts to build on
                Fukuoka's methods to develop a commercially successful market garden is
                certainly something that others can learn from.

                I think the value of the website is to provide an online source of
                information on his methods that is as accurate as possible, but also to look
                at adaptations and variations that have enabled people to grow food in a
                more sustainable and healthy way. This includes information on advances in
                the science of soil biology that support the concept of natural farming.

                Larry

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Hello Raju,

                  Your English is not bad. What is your native language? Maybe you could help
                  translate information from English to your native language so that it is
                  more easily accessible to others? I think it would be very useful to have
                  good translations of articles posted on the website in English translated
                  into as many languages as needed. For example, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese,
                  French and German for European and Central/South Americans.

                  Larry
                  http://fukuokafarmingol.info

                • dayjean455
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Dear Thomas,

                    Count us in.
                    Pagtinabangay Foundation
                    Ormoc City, Philippines

                    We hope we can help in any way we can.

                    Thanks for this initiative.

                    Jean

                    <thomcprestes@...> wrote:

                    > Steve and everyone else,
                    >
                    > I've also been thinking about the 'outreach' of NF, and as I said
                    in
                    > a previous message, I think it would be very nice to have a list of
                    > Natural Farms around the world...
                    > In order to have that, I thought about creating a website or
                    > something similar. Then after a while I realized it would make
                    > much more sense to offer help to improve an already existent
                    website,
                    > such as the Fukuoka Farming Website, rather than creating a new one
                    on
                    > my own.
                    > Therefore, I've sent an email to the Fukuoka Farming Website
                    > (http://fukuokafarmingol.info/) offering my help in 1) having an
                    > up to date list of Natural Farmers around the world, 2) keeping an
                    > up to date list of Meetings, Events, Courses, etc., and 3)
                    translating
                    > the website into other languages.
                    > I still haven't got an answer, but I thought it would be a good
                    > thing to let you people know about all that... Perhaps some of you
                    > might be interested in joining forces?
                    > Also, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, critics, etc., I
                    > would be glad to listen to them.
                    >
                    > Thank you,
                    >
                    > Thomas
                    >

                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@>
                    wrote:

                    > > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
                    > > I believe that talks at libraries or community
                    > > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge
                    all to
                    > > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
                    > > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time.
                    Where
                    > > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the
                    local
                    > > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
                    > > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more
                    food
                    > > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
                    > > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
                    > > input/high yield crops.
                    > > Thanks, Steve G

                  • dayjean455
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                      Hi!

                      I can translate from English to Cebuano - one of the major dialects in
                      the Philippines. If you think I can help, just say so and I am ready
                      to help.

                      My email addresses: dayjean455@... or jeanjust@...

                      Jean

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                        Dear Larry,
                        My native language is Hindi and I am writing articles on FM in Hindi. I love
                        to translate also.

                        Thanks
                        Raju

                        On 2/6/09, Larry Haftl <lawrence@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Raju,
                        >
                        > Your English is not bad. What is your native language? Maybe you could help
                        > translate information from English to your native language so that it is
                        > more easily accessible to others? I think it would be very useful to have
                        > good translations of articles posted on the website in English translated
                        > into as many languages as needed. For example, Italian, Spanish,
                        > Portuguese,
                        > French and German for European and Central/South Americans.
                        >
                        > Larry
                        > http://fukuokafarmingol.info

                      • thomcprestes
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                          Dear Larry, Steve, Raju and Nicholas,

                          I'm really glad about your messages.

                          I thank you all for that.

                          So, how shall we start?

                          Should we have an email list to make the conversation between those
                          who will be working easier?! Or, how shall we do it?

                          I thought about starting to translate the website, but maybe that
                          should be done after the content of it is more or less revised?

                          Another thing I could start doing is to send information about Natural
                          Farms, groups, etc., and also about meetings and so on.

                          Rajuji, it will be great to have your support, even if at the moment
                          we by chance don't really find something you could do for the website.

                          I guess once the Section with information about Natural Farmers is
                          available, we could greatly benefit from a report on your history, the
                          history of your farm, it's progress, your tecniques and so on.

                          Besides, if you are able to translate from English to Hindi, that
                          would surely be very useful.

                          And, of course, anyone volunteering to translate the Website to other
                          languages would also contribute a lot.

                          Steve, I think your report on your experiences would be highly
                          appreciated as well, and, by the way, I guess any reports from any of
                          the Natural Farmers on this group would be very useful for the website.

                          Perhaps we could create (apart from the already mentioned Section with
                          information on Natural Farmers around the world) a Section with
                          articles based on farmer's experiences, which could be searched by key
                          words such as geographic areas (country, climate, etc.), crops,
                          tecniques, problems, and so on. But, well, that's just another idea,
                          and, in fact, it might not be a very necessary one, since this group
                          already does the job that this Article Section would do, I guess.
                          Maybe this "articles" things could simply be part of each farmer's
                          contact page? What do you think?

                          Anyway, we can talk about that later on.

                          But I do feel that if the website could keep close contact and
                          collaboration with this email group, with farmers, other organizations
                          etc., things would work much better.

                          Finally,
                          Nicholas,
                          I'm sure you could be of extreme help, considering you have such an
                          extense knowledge and background, not only with writing but with also NF.

                          Yea, I feel it would be an amazing thing if we manage to work
                          together, helping each other, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

                          Thomas

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                            --- I

                            Hello Larry and all,
                            I read that Fukuoka told Bill Mollison that he was
                            encouraged to see the great interest NF practices and that he finally
                            had hope for the future of the world.
                            It sounds like the web-site is about to experience a revival.
                            I am all for communicating in any way we can agree. The dialogue
                            should go over the forum for the sake of all. If other avenues open up
                            we can accommodate.
                            Steve G.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                              Hello all,

                              With so much energy and support, upgrading the website is going to be very
                              exciting.

                              I “revisited” the website this morning page by page and was amazed at the
                              amount of information on it. I’d forgotten how much time and effort was
                              invested in it. Makes it more understandable why the website has remained so
                              popular even though it has not been updated in so long. There is useful
                              information there that is not available anywhere else on the web and other
                              information that is very hard to find elsewhere. All of it seems useful to
                              anyone interested in natural farming.

                              I can handle the structural revisions and upgrades to the website. It’s one
                              of the things I do for a living. Where I can use help is in three areas:

                              Translating some of the original material into other languages.
                              Gathering information that should be included/posted on the
                              website.
                              Brainstorming, input and feedback on how the website structure
                              and features should be revised/added.

                              On translating, I think it is fantastic that we can get articles written in
                              English translated into Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French (thank you
                              Thomas), Cebuano (thank you Jean), and Hindi (thank you Raju). Also, it
                              would be useful to get articles written in non-English translated to English
                              (we have a few of those on the website already). Language should not be a
                              barrier to communicating useful information on how to sustainably produce
                              nourishing food.

                              I can easily set up the ability for users accessing the website to choose
                              which language they want to read the information in. What we need is
                              translations.

                              No matter how the website gets revised, the following documents will always
                              form the foundation and should be translated as soon as possible:

                              An introduction to Masanobu Fukuoka
                              Overview of Fukuoka Farming
                              The philosophy of Masanobu Fukuoka
                              The Synergistic Agriculture of Emilia Hazelip
                              The Fundamental Reality that Underlies Fukuoka's Principles

                              The Synergistic Garden

                              Interpreting Masanobu Fukuoka's Writings
                              The Living Soil

                              Translating all of that is a daunting task, but the sooner we get it done
                              the sooner we can set up the language sections and make all of that
                              information available to non-English readers. I suggest if you want to do
                              the translating then download each of the pages and begin to do so. Let me
                              know what you are working on so that we don’t have more than one person
                              doing a translation into the same language.

                              So that we don’t clutter this mailing list with somewhat off-topic
                              conversation about the translating, let’s use direct email for now and later
                              I’ll set up a mailing list at the website just for the translators. You can
                              email me at: webmasterATfukuokafarmingolDOTinfo. I spelled that out to avoid
                              having that email address picked up by spiders and sold to spammers. I
                              suggest all of you do that whenever you are putting your email addresses in
                              public forums such as this one.

                              On gathering information, if there is anything any of you think should be
                              included in or posted on the website you can send information to me via this
                              mailing list or directly to the email address I just gave you. You can also
                              send requests for information you would like to have gathered and posted on
                              the website and I’ll see what I can do.

                              On brainstorming, any and all ideas and suggestions on what should be
                              included or revised on the website are most welcome. You can send them to me
                              directly at the webmaster email address or you can post it on this mailing
                              list. Posting it here might be the better choice as it might inspire others
                              to comment on or add to the ideas. Also, it would give visibility about what
                              is going on with the website to everyone on this list and I think that is
                              important.

                              This is really getting exciting. It feels good to be back.

                              Larry
                              http://fukuokafarmingol.info <http://fukuokafarmingol.info/>

                            • Larry Haftl

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 8, 2009
                                  Hi Steve,

                                  I agree with you that the dialogue should happen on this list. The spam
                                  filtering can be problematical but I guess we’ll just have to deal with
                                  that. I’m thinking of making additional communication options and channels
                                  available through the website but they are more of an addition to rather
                                  than a replacement of this forum. Things like audio and video clips,
                                  articles with graphics, etc.

                                  n fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 9, 2009
                                    Okay, Larry. I'll start translating as soon as possible.

                                    Jean

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 10, 2009
                                      Salamat Jean. Please work on the pages I noted, not on the home page as that
                                      will surely change. I will look forward to setting up a Cebuano section.