outreach

  • grannis04
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
      Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
      I believe that talks at libraries or community
      centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge all to
      try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
      world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time. Where
      I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the local
      farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
      networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more food
      both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
      Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
      input/high yield crops.
      Thanks, Steve G
    • dayjean455
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
        We're doing it in the Philippines, Steve. Specially that our small
        farmers here are really, really small.

        jean

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@...>
        wrote:

        > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
        > I believe that talks at libraries or community
        > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge all
        > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
        > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time.
        Where
        > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the local
        > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
        > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more food
        > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
        > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
        > input/high yield crops.
        > Thanks, Steve G

      • thomcprestes
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 4, 2009
          Steve and everyone else,

          I've also been thinking about the 'outreach' of NF, and as I said in
          a previous message, I think it would be very nice to have a list of
          Natural Farms around the world...
          In order to have that, I thought about creating a website or
          something similar. Then after a while I realized it would make
          much more sense to offer help to improve an already existent website,
          such as the Fukuoka Farming Website, rather than creating a new one on
          my own.
          Therefore, I've sent an email to the Fukuoka Farming Website
          (http://fukuokafarmingol.info/) offering my help in 1) having an
          up to date list of Natural Farmers around the world, 2) keeping an
          up to date list of Meetings, Events, Courses, etc., and 3) translating
          the website into other languages.
          I still haven't got an answer, but I thought it would be a good
          thing to let you people know about all that... Perhaps some of you
          might be interested in joining forces?
          Also, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, critics, etc., I
          would be glad to listen to them.

          Thank you,

          Thomas

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
          > I believe that talks at libraries or community
          > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge all to
          > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
          > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time. Where
          > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the local
          > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
          > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more food
          > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
          > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
          > input/high yield crops.
          > Thanks, Steve G

        • grannis04
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 4, 2009
            --
            Thomas, The Fukuoka web-site definitely needs an update since it's
            been over three years since there has been any activity. You would

            - In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "thomcprestes"
            <thomcprestes@...> wrote:

            > Steve and everyone else,
            >
            > I've also been thinking about the 'outreach' of NF, and as I said in
            > a previous message, I think it would be very nice to have a list of
            > Natural Farms around the world...
            > In order to have that, I thought about creating a website or
            > something similar. Then after a while I realized it would make
            > much more sense to offer help to improve an already existent website,
            > such as the Fukuoka Farming Website, rather than creating a new one on
            > my own.
            > Therefore, I've sent an email to the Fukuoka Farming Website
            > (http://fukuokafarmingol.info/) offering my help in 1) having an
            > up to date list of Natural Farmers around the world, 2) keeping an
            > up to date list of Meetings, Events, Courses, etc., and 3) translating
            > the website into other languages.
            > I still haven't got an answer, but I thought it would be a good
            > thing to let you people know about all that... Perhaps some of you
            > might be interested in joining forces?
            > Also, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, critics, etc., I
            > would be glad to listen to them.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Thomas
            >

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
            > > I believe that talks at libraries or community
            > > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge all to
            > > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
            > > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time. Where
            > > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the local
            > > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
            > > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more food
            > > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
            > > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
            > > input/high yield crops.
            > > Thanks, Steve G

          • Larry Haftl
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
              Hello Thomas, Steve and everyone else,

              I'm Larry Haftl, the creator and owner of the Fukuoka Farming website.

              The website was created when I was living in Oregon and trying to practice
              natural farming on a 1-acre home site. That ended a few years ago when
              circumstances brought me back to the Chicago area with no place to
              farm/garden. I left the website up but didn't have the time or motivation to
              update it. Last month I got a notice that it was time to renew the domain
              registration. I thought that by now there would be at least one or more
              websites dealing with natural farming that were better and more popular than
              mine. After doing some research I've found that such is not the case. I also
              found out that, as Steve pointed out, interest in Fukuoka's methods has
              grown significantly but Internet support for that interest has not grown.
              The Fukuoka Farming website is still one of the most popular in this area
              even though it has not been updated for several years.

              What seems to be missing from both the website and the Internet is a vibrant
              communications hub for the community of people interested in using, or at
              least understanding Fukuoka's methods to grow food in a more sustainable and
              enriching way. This Yahoo forum is certainly useful, but it is also limited.
              The website was built to be an information resource rather than an active
              communications hub. It can, however, be modified to do just that. Given the
              persistent access to the website and the comments here in this forum, it
              seems worthwhile to do that.

              I've renewed the domain registration and am redesigning the website to be a
              much more effective hub for active communication and community-building for
              people interested in doing and using natural farming. The foundation will
              always be the philosophy and methods of Masanobu Fukuoka, but I believe the
              scope of the website should be expanded to include information on extending
              and applying that foundation so that more people can adapt and incorporate
              his methods in their practices and projects.

              If any of you have suggestions or features and functions you think would be
              useful in the revised website I would welcome hearing from you either
              through this forum or through the website.

              Thomas, I just got your email. You have several good ideas that I think
              would be worth incorporating in the revised website. I can do all the
              website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
              Getting information and translating it into other languages is where I can
              use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
              leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural farming
              activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having a place
              where people can easily post that information will definitely be a part of
              the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.

              To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I didn't learn
              of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
              immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three
              years.

              Larry Haftl

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                -

                Larry, Thank you for your response and for your efforts in regards to
                the Fukuoka web-site.
                Hope you can find some land to enjoy. There is another resource
                for NF and that is farmingsecrets.com. I found this on u-tube and
                there is also many videos of people demonstrating NF methods.
                Permaculture has also incorporated much of Fukuoka's methods and there
                is a lot of overlap of knowledge. The ideas and science behind
                soil biology is an exploding field knowledge that continues to
                validate NF.
                Good Luck, Steve

                -- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Haftl" <lawrence@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
                > Getting information and translating it into other languages is where
                I can
                > use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
                > leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural
                farming
                > activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having
                a place
                > where people can easily post that information will definitely be a
                part of
                > the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.
                >
                > To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I
                didn't learn
                > of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
                > immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Dear Larry,
                  Thanks for this information. This is very useful for many Fukuoka's. I am
                  not good in English but as a natural farmer wants to cooperate. But do not
                  know how?
                  Thanks
                  Raju

                  On 2/6/09, Larry Haftl <lawrence@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > would be worth incorporating in the revised website. I can do all the
                  > website's technical stuff. It's what I do as a living and a profession.
                  > Getting information and translating it into other languages is where I can
                  > use help. The Google language translation function currently being used
                  > leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, information about a lot of natural
                  > farming
                  > activities and gatherings is rarely visible on the Internet. Having a place
                  > where people can easily post that information will definitely be a part of
                  > the revision. Thank you for your interest and offer.
                  >
                  > To show you how out of touch with natural farming I'd gotten, I didn't
                  > learn
                  > of Masanobu Fukuoka's death until earlier this week. I've been TOTALLY
                  > immersed in the world of machining and manufacturing for the last three

                • N. J. Pierotti
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                    My name is Nicholas Pierotti, and i have been a follower of Fukuoka's
                    philosophy since I first read The One Straw Revolution as an
                    undergraduate, in 1978. My backyard on the West Side of Santa Cruz,
                    California was completely farmed according to Fukuoka's doctrines,
                    feeding my family and producing hundreds of the most gorgeous antique
                    roses ever grown. It thrived for 25 years until I sold the property
                    in 2003 to move out of the rat-race Santa Cruz had become.

                    During that time, i supported my Fukuoka farming habit working as a
                    Technical Writer in the Silicon Valley, mostly on offsite contracts.
                    I worked with many of the biggest and most infamous companies,
                    incuding Apple and Netscape.

                    I would be happy to work with you in upgrading the Fukuoka Farming
                    Website.

                    Nicholas Pierotti
                    eurydice@...

                    You can reach me at 707-468-5404 x116, or leave me a message at
                    707-374-6619.

                    Otherwise, please email me for my current telephone number.

                    I am a Technical Writing professional, who has been active in the
                    Internet and Telecommunications industry for over 15 years, writing
                    some of the most complex and concise documentation in the Valley. I
                    am currently writing four administrative guides for Cisco, on the
                    administration of webservers and log servers.

                    Prior to that, I wrote Leopard Server documentation for Apple, and
                    was the Principal Writer on Apple's OpenDoc, which initiated the drag-
                    and-drop revolution. I was the original API Writer for Sun's
                    foundations classes, embedding my documentation directly into the
                    code. I was the API Documentation Manager at Kana, which was a
                    pioneer in telecommunications software, and I wrote Netscape's
                    Systems Administration Guide for the original online shopping
                    platform (which was implemented and instantiated later by Amazon and
                    eBay and countless others).

                    I have also worked as a Senior Technical Writer with ARC
                    International, a leading developer of user-customizable, high-
                    performance 32-bit processor cores, development tools, synthesizable
                    peripherals, and other cutting edge intellectual property (IP). I
                    wrote and formatted their most high-level material (samples upon
                    request).

                    I can handle any assignment.

                    I am an API documentation expert (over 10+ years experience).
                    I wrote much of the original API documentation for Apple and SUN.
                    I am a FrameMaker Guru, an HTML and XML user, and am one of the top
                    Technical Writers in the Silicon Valley, with 15+ years experience
                    writing and managing at companies like Apple, SUN, Netscape, and
                    Oracle. I've written API for Java, C, and C++ (13 years experience).

                    CONTACT ME AT eurydice@...

                    Extensive samples in PDF format are available upon request.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                      Hello Steve,

                      I'm thinking of doing some guerilla gardening this coming spring. I live
                      across the road from a very large prairie conservation area. They do a
                      controlled burn on it each spring. I'm thinking of spreading some seedballs
                      around before the burn to see what happens. Also thinking of doing some
                      planting in the nearby forest preserve. Should be fun and gives me an excuse
                      to mess about with seedballs again.

                      I visited that website as was struck by how commercial it seemed. I don't
                      have anything against some commercialism to help pay the website bills, I'm
                      just leery of sites that offer no content unless you give them your email
                      address to get access. Since there is no privacy policy offered who knows
                      how many spam lists your email ends up on.

                      Fukuoka definitely influenced a LOT of people including the original
                      developers of permaculture. I remember reading something about Fukuoka not
                      being happy about permaculture, but some people have found value in
                      permaculture practices. Personally, I find successful adaptations of
                      Fukuoka's methods to be interesting. Emila Hazelip's efforts to build on
                      Fukuoka's methods to develop a commercially successful market garden is
                      certainly something that others can learn from.

                      I think the value of the website is to provide an online source of
                      information on his methods that is as accurate as possible, but also to look
                      at adaptations and variations that have enabled people to grow food in a
                      more sustainable and healthy way. This includes information on advances in
                      the science of soil biology that support the concept of natural farming.

                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                        Hello Raju,

                        Your English is not bad. What is your native language? Maybe you could help
                        translate information from English to your native language so that it is
                        more easily accessible to others? I think it would be very useful to have
                        good translations of articles posted on the website in English translated
                        into as many languages as needed. For example, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese,
                        French and German for European and Central/South Americans.

                        Larry

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                          Dear Thomas,

                          Count us in.
                          Pagtinabangay Foundation
                          Ormoc City, Philippines

                          We hope we can help in any way we can.

                          Thanks for this initiative.

                          Jean

                          <thomcprestes@...> wrote:

                          > Steve and everyone else,
                          >
                          > I've also been thinking about the 'outreach' of NF, and as I said
                          in
                          > a previous message, I think it would be very nice to have a list of
                          > Natural Farms around the world...
                          > In order to have that, I thought about creating a website or
                          > something similar. Then after a while I realized it would make
                          > much more sense to offer help to improve an already existent
                          website,
                          > such as the Fukuoka Farming Website, rather than creating a new one
                          on
                          > my own.
                          > Therefore, I've sent an email to the Fukuoka Farming Website
                          > (http://fukuokafarmingol.info/) offering my help in 1) having an
                          > up to date list of Natural Farmers around the world, 2) keeping an
                          > up to date list of Meetings, Events, Courses, etc., and 3)
                          translating
                          > the website into other languages.
                          > I still haven't got an answer, but I thought it would be a good
                          > thing to let you people know about all that... Perhaps some of you
                          > might be interested in joining forces?
                          > Also, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, critics, etc., I
                          > would be glad to listen to them.
                          >
                          > Thank you,
                          >
                          > Thomas
                          >

                          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "grannis04" <grannis04@>
                          wrote:

                          > > Thanks to all for replies. Your suggestions are well taken.
                          > > I believe that talks at libraries or community
                          > > centers may be a good place to start. I would like to challenge
                          all to
                          > > try some out reach to your local communities. We can't change the
                          > > world all at once but we can all do our part a piece at a time.
                          Where
                          > > I live is quite rural but there is a strong movement among the
                          local
                          > > farmers and the community to connect and establish food supply
                          > > networks. As money becomes less available people can grow more
                          food
                          > > both for personal consumption and for barter. Natural
                          > > Farming/Gardening can play an important role in producing low
                          > > input/high yield crops.
                          > > Thanks, Steve G

                        • dayjean455
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 6, 2009
                            Hi!

                            I can translate from English to Cebuano - one of the major dialects in
                            the Philippines. If you think I can help, just say so and I am ready
                            to help.

                            My email addresses: dayjean455@... or jeanjust@...

                            Jean

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                              Dear Larry,
                              My native language is Hindi and I am writing articles on FM in Hindi. I love
                              to translate also.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                                Dear Larry, Steve, Raju and Nicholas,

                                I'm really glad about your messages.

                                I thank you all for that.

                                So, how shall we start?

                                Should we have an email list to make the conversation between those
                                who will be working easier?! Or, how shall we do it?

                                I thought about starting to translate the website, but maybe that
                                should be done after the content of it is more or less revised?

                                Another thing I could start doing is to send information about Natural
                                Farms, groups, etc., and also about meetings and so on.

                                Rajuji, it will be great to have your support, even if at the moment
                                we by chance don't really find something you could do for the website.

                                I guess once the Section with information about Natural Farmers is
                                available, we could greatly benefit from a report on your history, the
                                history of your farm, it's progress, your tecniques and so on.

                                Besides, if you are able to translate from English to Hindi, that
                                would surely be very useful.

                                And, of course, anyone volunteering to translate the Website to other
                                languages would also contribute a lot.

                                Steve, I think your report on your experiences would be highly
                                appreciated as well, and, by the way, I guess any reports from any of
                                the Natural Farmers on this group would be very useful for the website.

                                Perhaps we could create (apart from the already mentioned Section with
                                information on Natural Farmers around the world) a Section with
                                articles based on farmer's experiences, which could be searched by key
                                words such as geographic areas (country, climate, etc.), crops,
                                tecniques, problems, and so on. But, well, that's just another idea,
                                and, in fact, it might not be a very necessary one, since this group
                                already does the job that this Article Section would do, I guess.
                                Maybe this "articles" things could simply be part of each farmer's
                                contact page? What do you think?

                                Anyway, we can talk about that later on.

                                But I do feel that if the website could keep close contact and
                                collaboration with this email group, with farmers, other organizations
                                etc., things would work much better.

                                Finally,
                                Nicholas,
                                I'm sure you could be of extreme help, considering you have such an
                                extense knowledge and background, not only with writing but with also NF.

                                Yea, I feel it would be an amazing thing if we manage to work
                                together, helping each other, and I'm quite looking forward to it.

                                Thomas

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                                  --- I

                                  Hello Larry and all,
                                  I read that Fukuoka told Bill Mollison that he was
                                  encouraged to see the great interest NF practices and that he finally
                                  had hope for the future of the world.
                                  It sounds like the web-site is about to experience a revival.
                                  I am all for communicating in any way we can agree. The dialogue
                                  should go over the forum for the sake of all. If other avenues open up
                                  we can accommodate.
                                  Steve G.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 7, 2009
                                    Hello all,

                                    With so much energy and support, upgrading the website is going to be very
                                    exciting.

                                    I “revisited” the website this morning page by page and was amazed at the
                                    amount of information on it. I’d forgotten how much time and effort was
                                    invested in it. Makes it more understandable why the website has remained so
                                    popular even though it has not been updated in so long. There is useful
                                    information there that is not available anywhere else on the web and other
                                    information that is very hard to find elsewhere. All of it seems useful to
                                    anyone interested in natural farming.

                                    I can handle the structural revisions and upgrades to the website. It’s one
                                    of the things I do for a living. Where I can use help is in three areas:

                                    Translating some of the original material into other languages.
                                    Gathering information that should be included/posted on the
                                    website.
                                    Brainstorming, input and feedback on how the website structure
                                    and features should be revised/added.

                                    On translating, I think it is fantastic that we can get articles written in
                                    English translated into Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French (thank you
                                    Thomas), Cebuano (thank you Jean), and Hindi (thank you Raju). Also, it
                                    would be useful to get articles written in non-English translated to English
                                    (we have a few of those on the website already). Language should not be a
                                    barrier to communicating useful information on how to sustainably produce
                                    nourishing food.

                                    I can easily set up the ability for users accessing the website to choose
                                    which language they want to read the information in. What we need is
                                    translations.

                                    No matter how the website gets revised, the following documents will always
                                    form the foundation and should be translated as soon as possible:

                                    An introduction to Masanobu Fukuoka
                                    Overview of Fukuoka Farming
                                    The philosophy of Masanobu Fukuoka
                                    The Synergistic Agriculture of Emilia Hazelip
                                    The Fundamental Reality that Underlies Fukuoka's Principles

                                    The Synergistic Garden

                                    Interpreting Masanobu Fukuoka's Writings
                                    The Living Soil

                                    Translating all of that is a daunting task, but the sooner we get it done
                                    the sooner we can set up the language sections and make all of that
                                    information available to non-English readers. I suggest if you want to do
                                    the translating then download each of the pages and begin to do so. Let me
                                    know what you are working on so that we don’t have more than one person
                                    doing a translation into the same language.

                                    So that we don’t clutter this mailing list with somewhat off-topic
                                    conversation about the translating, let’s use direct email for now and later
                                    I’ll set up a mailing list at the website just for the translators. You can
                                    email me at: webmasterATfukuokafarmingolDOTinfo. I spelled that out to avoid
                                    having that email address picked up by spiders and sold to spammers. I
                                    suggest all of you do that whenever you are putting your email addresses in
                                    public forums such as this one.

                                    On gathering information, if there is anything any of you think should be
                                    included in or posted on the website you can send information to me via this
                                    mailing list or directly to the email address I just gave you. You can also
                                    send requests for information you would like to have gathered and posted on
                                    the website and I’ll see what I can do.

                                    On brainstorming, any and all ideas and suggestions on what should be
                                    included or revised on the website are most welcome. You can send them to me
                                    directly at the webmaster email address or you can post it on this mailing
                                    list. Posting it here might be the better choice as it might inspire others
                                    to comment on or add to the ideas. Also, it would give visibility about what
                                    is going on with the website to everyone on this list and I think that is
                                    important.

                                    This is really getting exciting. It feels good to be back.

                                    Larry
                                    http://fukuokafarmingol.info <http://fukuokafarmingol.info/>

                                  • Larry Haftl

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 8, 2009
                                        Hi Steve,

                                        I agree with you that the dialogue should happen on this list. The spam
                                        filtering can be problematical but I guess we’ll just have to deal with
                                        that. I’m thinking of making additional communication options and channels
                                        available through the website but they are more of an addition to rather
                                        than a replacement of this forum. Things like audio and video clips,
                                        articles with graphics, etc.

                                        n fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 9, 2009
                                          Okay, Larry. I'll start translating as soon as possible.

                                          Jean

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 10, 2009
                                            Salamat Jean. Please work on the pages I noted, not on the home page as that
                                            will surely change. I will look forward to setting up a Cebuano section.