RE: [fukuoka_farming] Reply to Jakub

  • Linda Shewan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hi Jakub,

      No I am not Buddhist but I am really working on the non-attachment thing and
      coming along very well except with books - which I just seem to keep buying!
      Having to give them back to the library is just too hard...

      I'm afraid my natural farm is not coming along too quickly but I am very
      stubborn... This drought in Australia must break sometime... or maybe not.
      I met the neighbour of our natural faming block last week and she told me
      how 25 years ago it was lush green grass almost all year. So much water and
      wonderful fertility. Now most of the land is almost dust... 99.9% of the
      seeds I cast disappeared into the void but I am hopeful that if we get a
      period of rain that I will see a transformation. Probably dreaming. The
      trees I have planted and am hand watering weekly are doing really well but
      the intense summer heat has just started this week - 4 days over 40 degrees
      C means plants and humans alike are struggling. Already had 2 bush fires in
      our immediate region this year and

      The school site is pretty much the same except concrete clay and even more
      difficult to establish anything on. Seedballs and seed broadcasting a
      disaster. Some would say I should give up - but I won't. I am taking my time
      though (mainly because I don't have any left to commit to it).

      I think I know what I need to do now and that is a combination of masses of
      mulch and Jackie French's grove gardens (should be able to google that for
      an article), which is very similar to natural farming but specific
      recommendations for Australia's more southern regions like grouping trees
      REALLY closely together which you couldn't do in a humid environment. I
      believe I really need mulch to get started in this extreme environment (on
      both sites) - but I don't have the money for any really - let alone the
      amount I need so they will simply continue slowly.

      I feel joy from the doing anyway and I just love being on the land so I am
      trying to accept that it will all take some time. I'm learning about weeds
      to eat and accepting that if I can't get a 'garden' happening that maybe
      they will be part of my journey... luckily I am not reliant on the sites
      for my livelihood or I would be a lot more sad right now. Although I am
      doing a farmers market this weekend and hope to make a couple of hundred
      dollars profit which would be nice (but doesn't buy much mulch at all!).

      Once recommendation. If you like philosophising and looking for the ideal
      life then I would recommend you read the Ringing Cedar series of books. Book
      1 'Anastasia' is the most well known. It is life transforming - like the One
      Straw Revolution. You can find details and order books here
      www.ringingcedars.com

      Enjoy, Linda