Finger Lakes Permaculture, Apr-Aug '09: PDC, Apprenticeship, classes

  • Michael Burns
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2009
      FINGER LAKES PERMACULTURE INSTITUTE
      SPRING & SUMMER PROGRAMS 2009

      -- PERMACULTURE SUMMER APPRENTICESHIP (April 24 - August 9)

      -- PERMACULTURE FUNDAMENTALS (April 24 - 26)

      -- MUSHROOM INOCULATION WORKSHOP (May 16)

      -- SUMMER INTENSIVE PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATE COURSE (July 24 -
      August 9)

      PERMACULTURE SUMMER APPRENTICESHIP
      (May 11 - August 24)

      The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute offers an exciting opportunity to
      explore sustainable, regenerative design. In exchange, apprentices assist in
      organizing events and working on a permaculture project. Apprentices attend
      all Spring/Summer 2009 permaculture events without charge, including the
      Summer Intensive Permaculture Design Certification Course.

      Apprentices begin their commitment by attending the Permaculture
      Fundamentals course in April. After these introductory classes, work shifts
      will be on regularly scheduled days from May 11 through July 26. The focus of
      this year’s apprentice work will be designing and creating classroom
      facilities for this year’s Design Certification Course at Cayuta Sun, a
      homestead about 15 miles southeast of Ithaca, N.Y.

      Each apprentice is expected to complete 100 hours of fieldwork as
      offered by the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute before the Design
      Certification Course begins on July 24. The apprentice program is heavily
      rooted in self-directed learning. We help apprentices to define goals, set
      milestones, and produce measurable results. Facilitators offer guidance and
      feedback to create a challenging and rewarding endeavor.

      Camping facilities with showers and outhouses are available for
      apprentices who wish to live at the design site from late-May through mid-August.

      A small fee and homestead/camp chores are asked in exchange for camping. Food
      will be the responsibility of the individual, but apprentices are encouraged
      to grow food on onsite gardens while growing food for the course.

      Tuition is $600 for on-site apprentices or $500 for commuting
      apprentices.

      Accepting applications through April 10 at http://www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org

      PERMACULTURE FUNDAMENTALS
      (April 24 - 26)

      Spend a weekend learning the basics of permaculture design. Walk away
      with a toolbox of ecological design principles. This affordable course offers a
      discussion on the ethics, attitudes, and principles of permaculture as
      well as an exploration of natural ecology and pattern that lead to regenerative
      designs. These classes are designed to be interactive and hands on. We
      use the site to discover how useful permaculture ideas can be in a variety of
      settings and situations. Because this course covers the introductory classes
      of our Design Certification Course, your tuition can be applied to the full
      cost of the Certification Course.

      Tuition is a sliding scale of $100 to $250.

      Register at http://www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org

      MUSHROOM INOCULATION WORKSHOP
      (May 16)

      Take home the new skill of cultivating culinary mushrooms. Learn how
      a forest can produce a cash crop in a permaculture food forest. Participants
      will bring home their own shiitake-inoculated log and can purchase additional
      logs.

      11 a.m., bring your own lunch
      Tuition is a sliding scale of $20 to $40.

      Register at http://www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org

      SUMMER INTENSIVE
      PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATE COURSE
      (July 24 - August 9)

      The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute (FLPCI) invites you to join
      its 2009 Summer Permaculture Design Course running from July 24 through August
      9, 2009. This is our seventh internationally recognized certification course
      training people of all backgrounds to mimic natural patterns and principles in
      their yards, on their land, and in their homes and businesses.

      This affordable course highlights hands-on learning in the beautiful
      rural Cayuta Lake Valley. The class equips students with the knowledge of
      whole systems and the principles, techniques, and challenges of permaculture
      as asystem of sustainable design. Our learning community explore topics
      such as soil regeneration, water conservation, building ponds and swales,
      managing woodlots, building natural and efficient homes, utilizing renewable
      energy, and designing gardens.

      We teach these topics though presentations, case studies, and student
      design projects and exercises. Our student design practicum will inform the
      final design of the Cayuta Sun Homestead. Instruction is augmented by
      presentations from local experts, field trips, and games.

      Completion of the course earns participants an internationally
      recognized design certificate.

      Topics include:
      Ethics - Principles - Ecology - Whole Systems - Water - Soils - Pattern -
      Climate - Earthworks - Forests & Trees - Economics - Governance - Gardening -
      Waste Treatment - Buildings - Tools - Appropriate Technology - Design -
      Practicum and more...

      $1200 includes tuition, food, and camping
      Sign up by May 1, 2009 and save $150
      Sign up by July 1, 2009 and save $50
      Register at http://www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org

      ABOUT US

      Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute provides affordable and experiential
      learning events in the Finger Lakes bioregion of New York State. We offer
      Permaculture Design Certification courses and a variety of other
      programs for permaculture education.

      Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
      P.O. Box 54
      Ithaca, NY 14850