Re: [fukuoka_farming] Planting Moong and Rice

  • La Clarine Farm
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2009
      Dear Ed,

      I am sure Raju will give you excellent advise on your situation. I
      would only say this: use what nature has given you.

      Good luck,

      Hank

      edward barton wrote:

      > Attn ; Mr Raju Titus.
      > Dear Raju,
      > In your last posting you had advised that i cud go for moong and rice
      > now but it wud need irrigation.Rice cud be grown in Monsoon months.
      > Today i carefully observed patches of vacant land that are available
      > for plantings in my orchard.
      > The patches have some dried tall grasses i cant tell what they are .I
      > classify them as weeds for lack of a better word.They grow every year
      > with monsoon rains.and they grow to nearly 3-4 ft by the time monsoon
      > ends in September-October.
      > I was planning to get rice straw from outside my orchard and spread
      > them on the soil and then do planthings of moong and rice as advised
      > by you.
      > Now that i see that the dried grass is already present in the patches
      > i plan to spread the moong and rice seeds on them.
      > I need your advise whether this is the right way to go or do i remove
      > the grasses and get rice straw from outside.My orchard attendant was
      > aghast when i told him this plan.He was asking me whether he shud at
      > least place manure on the ground before planting the seeds? i told him
      > that we wud do nothing of this sort.
      > Your advise is needed as i embark on the journey in Natural Farming.I
      > wud need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.
      > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers,chemical
      > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present on my
      > farm.A new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i
      > have now 5 cows on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night
      > they are herded back to their shed.
      > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your expereices no
      > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.
      > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to attain
      > this objective within 2 yrs.
      > regards
      > ed

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
        Dear Edward,
        In the beginning with native grass cover my advise is take only leguminous
        crop as i showed moong dal. You can take Soybean and other native Dal of
        your area.But do not go for Rice in start grass will dominate. You can also
        scatter many Dal seeds in the dry cover of grass. If you are growing now
        than irrigation is must.Please send me photos for proper guidance. Your
        decision for NF is good.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On 1/24/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

        > Attn ; Mr Raju Titus.
        > Dear Raju,
        > In your last posting you had advised that i cud go for moong and rice now
        > but it wud need irrigation.Rice cud be grown in Monsoon months.
        > Today i carefully observed patches of vacant land that are available for
        > plantings in my orchard.
        > The patches have some dried tall grasses i cant tell what they are .I
        > classify them as weeds for lack of a better word.They grow every year with
        > monsoon rains.and they grow to nearly 3-4 ft by the time monsoon ends in
        > September-October.
        > I was planning to get rice straw from outside my orchard and spread them on
        > the soil and then do planthings of moong and rice as advised by you.
        > Now that i see that the dried grass is already present in the patches i
        > plan to spread the moong and rice seeds on them.
        > I need your advise whether this is the right way to go or do i remove the
        > grasses and get rice straw from outside.My orchard attendant was aghast when
        > i told him this plan.He was asking me whether he shud at least place manure
        > on the ground before planting the seeds? i told him that we wud do nothing
        > of this sort.
        > Your advise is needed as i embark on the journey in Natural Farming.I wud
        > need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.
        > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers,chemical
        > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present on my farm.A
        > new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i have now 5 cows
        > on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night they are herded back
        > to their shed.
        > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your expereices no
        > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.
        > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to attain this
        > objective within 2 yrs.
        > regards
        > ed

      • edward barton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
          Dear Raju,
                         Thanks for the advise.
                         Please excuse my ignorance.As per your advise i was going to plant
                         moong but now you rae saying moong daal.Is there a difference between
                         moong and moong dal.I thought moong dal is made from Moong.I am not sure
                         Similarly i thought Channa Daal is made from Channa.
                         I will post pictures shortly.
                         Pls advise.
                         thanks
          regards
          ed

          On 1/24/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Attn ; Mr Raju Titus.

          > Dear Raju,

          > In your last posting you had advised that i cud go for moong and rice now

          > but it wud need irrigation.Rice cud be grown in Monsoon months.

          > Today i carefully observed patches of vacant land that are available for

          > plantings in my orchard.

          > The patches have some dried tall grasses i cant tell what they are .I

          > classify them as weeds for lack of a better word.They grow every year with

          > monsoon rains.and they grow to nearly 3-4 ft by the time monsoon ends in

          > September-October.

          > I was planning to get rice straw from outside my orchard and spread them on

          > the soil and then do planthings of moong and rice as advised by you.

          > Now that i see that the dried grass is already present in the patches i

          > plan to spread the moong and rice seeds on them.

          > I need your advise whether this is the right way to go or do i remove the

          > grasses and get rice straw from outside.My orchard attendant was aghast when

          > i told him this plan.He was asking me whether he shud at least place manure

          > on the ground before planting the seeds? i told him that we wud do nothing

          > of this sort.

          > Your advise is needed as i embark on the journey in Natural Farming.I wud

          > need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.

          > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers, chemical

          > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present on my farm.A

          > new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i have now 5 cows

          > on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night they are herded back

          > to their shed.

          > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your expereices no

          > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.

          > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to attain this

          > objective within 2 yrs.

          > regards

          > ed

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
            Dear Edward,
            Sorry i made mistake Dal commonly known as broken seeds of moong. But what I
            mean is Your field is covered with dry grass scatter Moong seeds in that
            and irrigate and when your field will covered by Moong plants scatter Rice
            seeds in that.If you can talk in hindi than please call me on 9179738049.
            Thanks
            Raju

            On 1/25/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > nothing
            >
            > > of this sort.
            >
            > > Your advise is needed as i embark on the journey in Natural Farming.I wud
            >
            > > need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.
            >
            > > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers, chemical
            >
            > > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present on my
            > farm.A
            >
            > > new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i have now 5
            > cows
            >
            > > on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night they are herded
            > back
            >
            > > to their shed.
            >
            > > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your expereices no
            >
            > > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.
            >
            > > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to attain this

          • dayjean455
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
              Hello Raju,

              What is Moong, friends what does it look like? Is it azolla? Can u
              scatter azolla on a dry rice paddy?

              Thanks,

              Jean
              Philippines

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

> [...]
              Farming.I wud

              > > > need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.
              > >
              > > > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers, chemical
              > >
              > > > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present
              on my
              > > farm.A
              > >
              > > > new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i
              have now 5
              > > cows
              > >
              > > > on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night they are
              herded
              > > back
              > >
              > > > to their shed.
              > >
              > > > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your
              expereices no

              > > > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.
              > >
              > > > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to

            • Chandrakant Deokar
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 25, 2009
                Edward...

                You are right.. Daal is the split form of any legumes... but Raju might be
                meaning to say the Daal crop as a legume crop...

                Chandrakant Deokar, Pune MH India

                From: Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <mailto:rajuktitus%40gmail.com> >
                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Sunday, January 25, 2009, 6:59 PM

                Dear Edward,

                In the beginning with native grass cover my advise is take only leguminous

                crop as i showed moong dal. You can take Soybean and other native Dal of

                your area.But do not go for Rice in start grass will dominate. You can also

                scatter many Dal seeds in the dry cover of grass. If you are growing now

                than irrigation is must.Please send me photos for proper guidance. Your

                decision for NF is good.

                Thanks

                Raju

                On 1/24/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Attn ; Mr Raju Titus.

                > Dear Raju,

                > In your last posting you had advised that i cud go for moong and rice now

                > but it wud need irrigation.Rice cud be grown in Monsoon months.

                > Today i carefully observed patches of vacant land that are available for

                > plantings in my orchard.

                > The patches have some dried tall grasses i cant tell what they are .I

                > classify them as weeds for lack of a better word.They grow every year with

                > monsoon rains.and they grow to nearly 3-4 ft by the time monsoon ends in

                > September-October.

                > I was planning to get rice straw from outside my orchard and spread them
                on

                > the soil and then do planthings of moong and rice as advised by you.

                > Now that i see that the dried grass is already present in the patches i

                > plan to spread the moong and rice seeds on them.

                > I need your advise whether this is the right way to go or do i remove the

                > grasses and get rice straw from outside.My orchard attendant was aghast
                when

                > i told him this plan.He was asking me whether he shud at least place
                manure

                > on the ground before planting the seeds? i told him that we wud do nothing

                > of this sort.

                > Your advise is needed as i embark on the journey in Natural Farming.I wud

                > need more of your advise as the process progresses on my orchard.

                > Upto this day i have never used any chemical fertilisers, chemical

                > pesticides in my orchard.I use cow manure from the cows present on my
                farm.A

                > new she calf has been born about 3 weeks ago and with that i have now 5
                cows

                > on my farm and they are all free roaming only at night they are herded
                back

                > to their shed.

                > I am very well aware from your postings that as per your expereices no

                > tilling, no wwedings. no manure ,no composting is needed.

                > i am about to start on Natural Farming journey and i hope to attain this

                > objective within 2 yrs.

                > regards

                > ed

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 26, 2009
                  Dear friend,Dayjeen,
                  Moong is pulse known as Green gram.In India it is used as protein food. It
                  is leguminous provide nitrogen to soil.

                  Thanks
                  Raju
                  Fukuoka farming of rice is possible with white clover . white clover is
                  leguminous it control weeds,provide nitrogen,maintain moisture , provide
                  organic matter, control pest and insects. .Generally people first
                  tilling,than making mud and transplant rice seedlings etc. With white clover
                  there is no need of all these activity.But white clover is not available in
                  our area. I am using subabul or Moong instead of white clover.
                  Thanks
                  Raju