Re: foraging

  • Judy Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26 12:38 PM
      Yes--I live in southern Indiana now, but I am from hillbilly stock,
      originally. My family is from Floyd County, Kentucky, near
      Prestonsburg/Pikeville. I have enjoyed wild strawberries but have yet to
      find passionflower fruit where I live. I wouldn't mind growing it here
      though (hint, hint)! I am an avid seed collector/trader. So if there are any
      edible wild plants you are of a mind to try, feel free to contact me off
      list and we can put our heads together. :-) I have only a few cookbooks that
      focus on wild edibles, but have found it is generally easy to substitute
      wildlings for cultivated plants in many conventional recipes, once you get a
      feel for them.
      The Wildforager foodlist is a great resource for recipes as well, and they
      have a truly amazing set of archives to dig through should you suddenly come
      upon a patch of paw paws or some other edible treaure and wonder what in the
      world to do with them. I'll repeat the web address for the discussion group,
      in case you are interested:

      Speaking of defining where you live according to what grows around you-
      rather than imaginary borders--I recently discovered a great plant ID site
      at http://www.enature.com/. They offer regional wildlife and plant guides,
      arranged by zip code, so that you can quickly locate plants that are native
      to your area. I will try to work up a list of good plant ID and info sites
      for the group soon--have been meaning to get my bookmarks organized anyway.
      Judy

      <sarabelum70@...> wrote:

      Hey Judy, according to your description of foraging species, sounds
      like we must be relatively close to each other, at least within the
      same habitat region. I live in Western KY (but I like the idea of
      telling people where you live according to what grows around you-
      rather than imaginary borders). Have you ever eaten passionflower
      fruit? Or wild strawberries? These grow abundantly around here, I
      found lots of recipes in a book called "The Wild Vegetarian
      Cookbook" it is awesome.