Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sludge from Septic Tank

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear friend,
      There is no use of any outer organic material in natural way of farming as
      fertilizer it will effect adverse.With your questions it seems that you are
      not aware of Fukuoka Farming. Please read carefully files of this group.
      Thanks
      Raju

      On 1/4/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I have a mango and coconut orchard near Mumbai India.
      > I have been following Natural farming practices since inception about 10
      > yrs ago.
      > There is a hotel near my farm and they are offering sludge ( the dried
      > solids) from the septic tank for my use.
      > I am not sure if such dried solids can be used in a orchard where fruits
      > aee meant for human consumption.Can anyone guide me on this?Is there a
      > chance of dangerous pathogens entering the food chain.?
      > Can such solids be used for ornamental plants?
      >
      > I have been reading about using cardboard for making compost.My questions
      > is whether the rotting cardboard under soil would also attract termites? and
      > is there a chance that these termites then would attack the nearby trees?
      > Thanks in advance
      > regards
      > ef

    • Pat D

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
          Pat

          I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns would have phased it out no?

          rob

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2009
            Edward,

            There are many different views of what Natural Farming actually is.
            In my view (and I agree with Raju in this respect), Natural Farming
            attempts to grow food crops without fertilizers or other external
            inputs; this includes organic fertilizers or even compost bought from
            an outside source.

            Obviously, in cases in which organic matter, manure or even sludge
            that would otherwise go to a landfill is freely available, there may
            be a case for using it on our land. However, when doing so, there is
            the issue of contamination we have to address. I think the problem of
            pathogens is wildly exaggerated. There will always be microorganisms
            we consider as pathogens, but in any healthy soil environment these
            so-called pathogens will be dealt with by the overwhelming number of
            beneficial microorganisms.

            Contamination from chemical and pharmaceutical substances, on the
            other hand, is a problem of such magnitude that I don't know if there
            will ever by sufficient technical means for treating sludge so as to
            make quite sure that no contaminations remain. Even routine chemical
            analysis for a wide range of substances is likely to be so expensive
            as to price the product far beyond any reasonable level. 50 years
            ago, it would have been no problem to use sludge; however, in the last
            few decades humans have released well over 100,000 new chemical
            compounds into the environment. Most people pour considerable amounts
            of chemicals down their drain, which will get with the grey water into
            the septic tank. I have spent many years of my life in the Far East
            and know that in most countries there medical doctors are very
            generous about describing antibiotics and other very aggressive drugs.
            All of this goes into the sludge.

            Recent news reports about contaminated hay, manure and even compost
            have shown that many chemical compounds go through several stages of
            the food chain without being broken down or without loosing their
            harmful effect. A chemical applied to a field will be transmitted to
            the grass growing on this field, to the cow eating the grass, to the
            manure from that cow, to the compost made from that manure, to the
            soil that compost was applied to and to the vegetables grown on that
            soil.

            In orchards the issue of fertility can be easily address by growing
            plants underneath the trees. If you are not happy with the native
            weeds and grasses that grow there naturally, you could try one or more
            of a large range of cover crops. In a hot climate, festuca which is
            heat-killed may be a good option. For example look at the way
            Japanese farmers make use of festuca at:

            http://www.sudatikaen.com/kazyuen-4.htm

            The gradual soil improvement through the root action and the decaying
            organic matter of the plants growing on your soil will create a
            balance that can only be disturbed by any addition of fertilizers
            brought in from somewhere else.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

            On 1/5/09, George.com <roblyn@...> wrote:
            > Pat
            >
            > I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns
            > would have phased it out no?
            >
            > rob

          • Michael Meredith
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2009
              Amen , brother.
              Michael

              ________________________________

              On 1/5/09, George.com <roblyn@ihug. co.nz> wrote:
              > Pat
              >
              > I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns
              > would have phased it out no?
              >
              > rob

            • edward barton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                Dear Friends,
                Thanks to all friends who responded to my querry.It has helped me clarify lot of questions.
                Raju, my farm may not be a fukuoka farmig compliant but when i said i am using Natural farming practices i meant i dont use any chemical pesticides or chemical fertilisers for use in my orchard.
                I have now realised that Fukuoka suggested parctices include no tilling, no weeding ,no composting, no bringing in external sources of fertilisers etc.
                I would term my farm as chemical free farm.Now in my view a chemical free farm is natural farm or not is difficult for me to say..
                I only know that in Nature there is no chemical production but only natural organic matters reacating with each other in a very complex play.
                I have 5- 6 cows on the orchard and i use the cow manure in the compost heap.I do cut the tall grasses and weeds growing around the mango trees and place it in the compost pile.I have been told that if the grasses are not removed around the mango trees then pests including termites would attack the trees.
                I dont know how far this is true as i am a hobbyist orchard owner.

                My orchard has grown out of my love for Nature and it is not a commercial establishment.The mangoes grown on my orchard are the sweetest mangoes and 1000 times sweeter than what is available in the markets around here.
                thanks once again to all friends
                regards to all
                edward.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Dear Edward,
                  There is lot of confusion in Natural and Organic way of farmings. People
                  think that using organic fertilizers,insecticides,weed killers are natural.
                  But these are all unnatural practises.Keeping Cows more easy with zero
                  tillage.There is no need of making compost of Cow dung. It will be useful as
                  early as returned to soil. In Mango orchard there is no need of weeding .
                  Green cover of land in the shade area of trees helps in so many ways. It
                  protects trees from insects and diseases,conserve moisture,supply organic
                  fertilizer. The taste,flavour,and yield improves every season due to this
                  cover. Killing of weeds and insects by Malathion or by Neem are same.
                  Fukuoka Farming based of no killing (nonviolence). Tilling of land is most
                  harmful unnatural practise.It creates demand of fertilizer and water
                  and improves weeds and insects problem.
                  Thanks
                  Raju

                  On 1/6/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Friends,
                  > Thanks to all friends who responded to my querry.It has helped me clarify
                  > lot of questions.
                  > Raju, my farm may not be a fukuoka farmig compliant but when i said i am
                  > using Natural farming practices i meant i dont use any chemical pesticides
                  > or chemical fertilisers for use in my orchard.
                  > I have now realised that Fukuoka suggested parctices include no tilling, no
                  > weeding ,no composting, no bringing in external sources of fertilisers etc.
                  > I would term my farm as chemical free farm.Now in my view a chemical free
                  > farm is natural farm or not is difficult for me to say..
                  > I only know that in Nature there is no chemical production but only natural
                  > organic matters reacating with each other in a very complex play.
                  > I have 5- 6 cows on the orchard and i use the cow manure in the compost
                  > heap.I do cut the tall grasses and weeds growing around the mango trees and
                  > place it in the compost pile.I have been told that if the grasses are not
                  > removed around the mango trees then pests including termites would attack
                  > the trees.
                  > I dont know how far this is true as i am a hobbyist orchard owner.
                  >
                  > My orchard has grown out of my love for Nature and it is not a commercial
                  > establishment.The mangoes grown on my orchard are the sweetest mangoes and
                  > 1000 times sweeter than what is available in the markets around here.
                  > thanks once again to all friends
                  > regards to all
                  > edward.

                • garden03048
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                    My orchard has grown out of my love for
                    Nature and it is not a commercial establishment.The mangoes grown on my
                    orchard are the sweetest mangoes and 1000 times sweeter than what is
                    available in the markets around here.
                    > thanks once again to all friends
                    > regards to all
                    > edward.
                    >

                    >You make me jealous. I love mangoes but they are not about to grow
                    in Massachusetts.

                    anthony