Re: art

  • Michael Meredith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
      Did I send this to you guys already?
      Michael

      ________________________________
      From: Michael Meredith <meredith848@...>
      To: gary <altonhalls@...>
      Sent: Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:24:01 AM
      Subject: art

      Something new to read,

      Agriculture Experiments.
      I was vastly impressed by Ruth stouts sheet composting
      methods, as a young man. I used them for many years, smothering weeds, and
      innovating. I found that tilling was unnecessary, only in the melon hill area,
      and that was in a weedy, rocky, bushy hillside. So I preserved the ecology, and
      prevented both erosion, and an aching back. Yes , I was fascinated by Fukuokas'
      methods at the time, and strove to adapt them to the arid conditions I was
      living in.
      For many years I travelled, raised a family, and lived in a
      house with a very shady lot. Now I have a nearby, sunny, 1/10 acre of paradise
      to resume agricultural experiments in.
      So, naturally, I
      have been doing some studying.
      The melon/squash
      hill method seems particularly attractive to a couch potatoe such as me. I only
      have to dig a one foot hole every ten feet on square. Actually, I am doing five
      foot spacings, and planting corn, beans , and squash together (the three
      sisters of the American Indian tribes). These are beneficial to each other, and
      nutritious when eaten together.
      I am making a post
      hole 18� deep, putting in compost, azomite, charcoal (another Indian method
      that increases soil fertility forever), and will apply a foliar fertilizer
      known as Sonic Bloom. All of these methods are claimed to increase yields,
      nutrition, and , more importantly, Taste!
      I will cave in the
      top of the hole as I am filling it (luckily, I have a massive supply of compost
      on the site, and mulch, too). The purpose here is to create a deep pocket of
      rich soil, so the plant roots from the whole hill will go down there. This will
      be good for mineral absorbtion, but more importantly, for holding moisture, and
      for ease of watering, in case of drought. I had to make some rainwater
      containment ponds(total 2000 gallons),
      but I hope not to use them much, as I am using the ancient �Bucket Irrigation�
      method (google that one!). I may try raising crayfish, frogs, and the lovely
      purple pitcher plants.
      The deer fence I am
      building will double to support vines. I already have grapes and hardy kiwis
      ready to propagate. I am investigating mixing the crops all up, and leaving the
      weeds in place (just stomping them down so the won�t shade my plants). This will
      preserve the ecosystem, and confuse the bugs (isn�t monocropping and bare earth
      farming an invitation to disease, insect attacks, erosion ,low yields, and lack
      of mineral uptake in the plants?). My organic fig orchard is already growing
      well(they are so easy to propagate).
      Many years ago, I
      read that the (primitive!) people in New Guinea make a three tiered system, with tall plants(20 foot) on the south side, then a row
      of medium plants, then the shortest plants and ground covers out in front. This
      gives a good utilization of space and sunlight (oh, I wish I could grow papayas
      here in northern Virginia!). I do not believe that plants compete much for
      water and minerals, but I know they all need sun. So, I am
      ready to try anything that meets the above criteria, and I�m also growing
      everlastings to sell, may grow ginseng and goldenseal, and, of course , will
      have lots of Jerusalem artichokes (they grow like weeds, sell for $5 a pound,
      and are a perfect survival food, which can be harvested all winter). I�m also
      strongly considering raising rabbits for meat, and it seems that earthworms
      thrive on their excrement, so you can grow them under the bunnies at no extra
      cost. They sell for $26 a pound, and their poo sells for $7 a pound on up to
      gardeners (oh, the miracle of research that a humble couch potatoe such as
      myself should find out such wonderful things!). I mean, who but a lawyer or a
      politician would ordinarily think about feeding animals shit, and then selling
      it at high prices to people?

    • robin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
        no, why should we? what can you get out of a bottle that can't be
        supplied by nature? why, are you selling it? and why call it
        "art"?;D****robin

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith
        <meredith848@...> wrote:

        > http://www.mycominerals.com/
        > Do you know about this stuff?
        > Michael

      • Michael Meredith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
          You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting information.
          Michael

          ________________________________

          <meredith848@ ...> wrote:

          > http://www.mycomine rals.com/
          > Do you know about this stuff?
          > Michael

        • robin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
            dear michael,

            no, i was just kidding with you...i'm just a little skeptical of
            anything man-made to try to "fix" nature such as fertilizer...but,
            what do i know? you sound like you have got the energy to grow alot of
            melons (;DDD) from what you've done so far.i did a lot of work at
            first, and now i don't have to do anything in the winter. but be
            careful with that uphill and downhill. i worked myself into a prolapse
            two years ago. now i HAVE to "do-nothing" (but i'm still a farmer!).

            perhaps some of the others in the group have heard of it and can
            discuss it more intelligently with you....dieter?*******robin :}

            <meredith848@...> wrote:

            > You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am
            not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting
            information.
            > Michael
            >

            > ________________________________

          • yashanich
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
              I've used a similar product, and in fact am using a similar product to grow my wheatgrass.
              The one that I use comes from Fungi Perfecti and is strait Mycorrhizal spores. I can't testify
              to its efficacy because I haven't used it for long enough yet, but I know a lot of people
              swear by it. It is also true that in any natural ecosystem such a product would be superfluous, but truly give a look around and look at all the unnatural ecosystems. Paul
              Stamets, founder of Fungi Perfecti suggests using it for remediation purposes, and why
              not? If your property has been denuded and scorched by pesticides, and all sorts of poor
              farming practices, then why not remediate your soil a one time population boost of
              mycorrhizal fungi?

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

              > http://www.mycominerals.com/
              > Do you know about this stuff?
              > Michael

            • Michael Meredith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
                Believe me , I am really just trying to do the best that I can for me and my family(I'm 52).
                What I discover through research I generally share with people(though I've tried. I havent made too much money with it yet).
                I've dug out some small ponds, but the work is good for me, I find, so the uphills should be ok.
                Michael

                ________________________________

                <meredith848@ ...> wrote:

                > You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am
                not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting
                information.
                > Michael

              • Michael Meredith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Oh, I call lots of things art because its easier to type in, plus its fun, plus according to the US patent office there is no science, only "Art".
                  Michael