Re: [fukuoka_farming] Sludge from Septic Tank

  • Michael Meredith
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
      Termites are unlikely.
      The sludge is ok if buried. If it is properly composted, as in a vietnamese composting toilet, it becomes virtually pathogen free. When i was in India, I noticed what was needed was a cheap composting toilet, and a cheap solar water pump.
      So , I researched that for a number of years.
      Michael
      transparentroofing.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
        I would suggest reading the Humanure Handbook before working with
        sludge. It is really well researched (and funny) and a number of
        pathogens (particularly worm eggs) can survive if not properly composted.

        Here is a link to the publisher's web page:
        http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/humanure.html

        Harvest

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, edward barton
        <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I have a mango and coconut orchard near Mumbai India.
        > I have been following Natural farming practices since
        inception about 10 yrs ago.
        > There is a hotel near my farm and they are offering sludge (
        the dried solids) from the septic tank for my use.
        > I am not sure if such dried solids can be used in a orchard
        where fruits aee meant for human consumption.Can anyone guide me on
        this?Is there a chance of dangerous pathogens entering the food chain.?
        > Can such solids be used for ornamental plants?
        >
        > I have been reading about using cardboard for making
        compost.My questions is whether the rotting cardboard under soil would
        also attract termites? and is there a chance that these termites then
        would attack the nearby trees?
        > Thanks in advance
        > regards
        > ef

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
          Dear friend,
          There is no use of any outer organic material in natural way of farming as
          fertilizer it will effect adverse.With your questions it seems that you are
          not aware of Fukuoka Farming. Please read carefully files of this group.
          Thanks
          Raju

          On 1/4/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > I have a mango and coconut orchard near Mumbai India.
          > I have been following Natural farming practices since inception about 10
          > yrs ago.
          > There is a hotel near my farm and they are offering sludge ( the dried
          > solids) from the septic tank for my use.
          > I am not sure if such dried solids can be used in a orchard where fruits
          > aee meant for human consumption.Can anyone guide me on this?Is there a
          > chance of dangerous pathogens entering the food chain.?
          > Can such solids be used for ornamental plants?
          >
          > I have been reading about using cardboard for making compost.My questions
          > is whether the rotting cardboard under soil would also attract termites? and
          > is there a chance that these termites then would attack the nearby trees?
          > Thanks in advance
          > regards
          > ef

        • Pat D
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
            cardboard has glue in it, which i think is high in lead, which could possibly get into the fruit and that wouldn't be good.  have you tried fukuoka's idea of using a green mulch of White Clover?

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
              Pat

              I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns would have phased it out no?

              rob

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2009
                Edward,

                There are many different views of what Natural Farming actually is.
                In my view (and I agree with Raju in this respect), Natural Farming
                attempts to grow food crops without fertilizers or other external
                inputs; this includes organic fertilizers or even compost bought from
                an outside source.

                Obviously, in cases in which organic matter, manure or even sludge
                that would otherwise go to a landfill is freely available, there may
                be a case for using it on our land. However, when doing so, there is
                the issue of contamination we have to address. I think the problem of
                pathogens is wildly exaggerated. There will always be microorganisms
                we consider as pathogens, but in any healthy soil environment these
                so-called pathogens will be dealt with by the overwhelming number of
                beneficial microorganisms.

                Contamination from chemical and pharmaceutical substances, on the
                other hand, is a problem of such magnitude that I don't know if there
                will ever by sufficient technical means for treating sludge so as to
                make quite sure that no contaminations remain. Even routine chemical
                analysis for a wide range of substances is likely to be so expensive
                as to price the product far beyond any reasonable level. 50 years
                ago, it would have been no problem to use sludge; however, in the last
                few decades humans have released well over 100,000 new chemical
                compounds into the environment. Most people pour considerable amounts
                of chemicals down their drain, which will get with the grey water into
                the septic tank. I have spent many years of my life in the Far East
                and know that in most countries there medical doctors are very
                generous about describing antibiotics and other very aggressive drugs.
                All of this goes into the sludge.

                Recent news reports about contaminated hay, manure and even compost
                have shown that many chemical compounds go through several stages of
                the food chain without being broken down or without loosing their
                harmful effect. A chemical applied to a field will be transmitted to
                the grass growing on this field, to the cow eating the grass, to the
                manure from that cow, to the compost made from that manure, to the
                soil that compost was applied to and to the vegetables grown on that
                soil.

                In orchards the issue of fertility can be easily address by growing
                plants underneath the trees. If you are not happy with the native
                weeds and grasses that grow there naturally, you could try one or more
                of a large range of cover crops. In a hot climate, festuca which is
                heat-killed may be a good option. For example look at the way
                Japanese farmers make use of festuca at:

                http://www.sudatikaen.com/kazyuen-4.htm

                The gradual soil improvement through the root action and the decaying
                organic matter of the plants growing on your soil will create a
                balance that can only be disturbed by any addition of fertilizers
                brought in from somewhere else.

                Dieter Brand
                Portugal

                On 1/5/09, George.com <roblyn@...> wrote:
                > Pat
                >
                > I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns
                > would have phased it out no?
                >
                > rob

              • Michael Meredith
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Amen , brother.
                  Michael

                  ________________________________

                  On 1/5/09, George.com <roblyn@ihug. co.nz> wrote:
                  > Pat
                  >
                  > I'd be surprised if glue contained lead any more. Environmental concerns
                  > would have phased it out no?
                  >
                  > rob

                • edward barton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
                    Dear Friends,
                    Thanks to all friends who responded to my querry.It has helped me clarify lot of questions.
                    Raju, my farm may not be a fukuoka farmig compliant but when i said i am using Natural farming practices i meant i dont use any chemical pesticides or chemical fertilisers for use in my orchard.
                    I have now realised that Fukuoka suggested parctices include no tilling, no weeding ,no composting, no bringing in external sources of fertilisers etc.
                    I would term my farm as chemical free farm.Now in my view a chemical free farm is natural farm or not is difficult for me to say..
                    I only know that in Nature there is no chemical production but only natural organic matters reacating with each other in a very complex play.
                    I have 5- 6 cows on the orchard and i use the cow manure in the compost heap.I do cut the tall grasses and weeds growing around the mango trees and place it in the compost pile.I have been told that if the grasses are not removed around the mango trees then pests including termites would attack the trees.
                    I dont know how far this is true as i am a hobbyist orchard owner.

                    My orchard has grown out of my love for Nature and it is not a commercial establishment.The mangoes grown on my orchard are the sweetest mangoes and 1000 times sweeter than what is available in the markets around here.
                    thanks once again to all friends
                    regards to all
                    edward.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Raju Titus
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                      Dear Edward,
                      There is lot of confusion in Natural and Organic way of farmings. People
                      think that using organic fertilizers,insecticides,weed killers are natural.
                      But these are all unnatural practises.Keeping Cows more easy with zero
                      tillage.There is no need of making compost of Cow dung. It will be useful as
                      early as returned to soil. In Mango orchard there is no need of weeding .
                      Green cover of land in the shade area of trees helps in so many ways. It
                      protects trees from insects and diseases,conserve moisture,supply organic
                      fertilizer. The taste,flavour,and yield improves every season due to this
                      cover. Killing of weeds and insects by Malathion or by Neem are same.
                      Fukuoka Farming based of no killing (nonviolence). Tilling of land is most
                      harmful unnatural practise.It creates demand of fertilizer and water
                      and improves weeds and insects problem.
                      Thanks
                      Raju

                      On 1/6/09, edward barton <siliconvalley47@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Friends,
                      > Thanks to all friends who responded to my querry.It has helped me clarify
                      > lot of questions.
                      > Raju, my farm may not be a fukuoka farmig compliant but when i said i am
                      > using Natural farming practices i meant i dont use any chemical pesticides
                      > or chemical fertilisers for use in my orchard.
                      > I have now realised that Fukuoka suggested parctices include no tilling, no
                      > weeding ,no composting, no bringing in external sources of fertilisers etc.
                      > I would term my farm as chemical free farm.Now in my view a chemical free
                      > farm is natural farm or not is difficult for me to say..
                      > I only know that in Nature there is no chemical production but only natural
                      > organic matters reacating with each other in a very complex play.
                      > I have 5- 6 cows on the orchard and i use the cow manure in the compost
                      > heap.I do cut the tall grasses and weeds growing around the mango trees and
                      > place it in the compost pile.I have been told that if the grasses are not
                      > removed around the mango trees then pests including termites would attack
                      > the trees.
                      > I dont know how far this is true as i am a hobbyist orchard owner.
                      >
                      > My orchard has grown out of my love for Nature and it is not a commercial
                      > establishment.The mangoes grown on my orchard are the sweetest mangoes and
                      > 1000 times sweeter than what is available in the markets around here.
                      > thanks once again to all friends
                      > regards to all
                      > edward.

                    • garden03048
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 7, 2009
                        My orchard has grown out of my love for
                        Nature and it is not a commercial establishment.The mangoes grown on my
                        orchard are the sweetest mangoes and 1000 times sweeter than what is
                        available in the markets around here.
                        > thanks once again to all friends
                        > regards to all
                        > edward.
                        >

                        >You make me jealous. I love mangoes but they are not about to grow
                        in Massachusetts.

                        anthony