art

  • Michael Meredith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
      http://www.mycominerals.com/
      Do you know about this stuff?
      Michael

    • Michael Meredith
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
        Did I send this to you guys already?
        Michael

        ________________________________
        From: Michael Meredith <meredith848@...>
        To: gary <altonhalls@...>
        Sent: Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:24:01 AM
        Subject: art

        Something new to read,

        Agriculture Experiments.
        I was vastly impressed by Ruth stouts sheet composting
        methods, as a young man. I used them for many years, smothering weeds, and
        innovating. I found that tilling was unnecessary, only in the melon hill area,
        and that was in a weedy, rocky, bushy hillside. So I preserved the ecology, and
        prevented both erosion, and an aching back. Yes , I was fascinated by Fukuokas'
        methods at the time, and strove to adapt them to the arid conditions I was
        living in.
        For many years I travelled, raised a family, and lived in a
        house with a very shady lot. Now I have a nearby, sunny, 1/10 acre of paradise
        to resume agricultural experiments in.
        So, naturally, I
        have been doing some studying.
        The melon/squash
        hill method seems particularly attractive to a couch potatoe such as me. I only
        have to dig a one foot hole every ten feet on square. Actually, I am doing five
        foot spacings, and planting corn, beans , and squash together (the three
        sisters of the American Indian tribes). These are beneficial to each other, and
        nutritious when eaten together.
        I am making a post
        hole 18� deep, putting in compost, azomite, charcoal (another Indian method
        that increases soil fertility forever), and will apply a foliar fertilizer
        known as Sonic Bloom. All of these methods are claimed to increase yields,
        nutrition, and , more importantly, Taste!
        I will cave in the
        top of the hole as I am filling it (luckily, I have a massive supply of compost
        on the site, and mulch, too). The purpose here is to create a deep pocket of
        rich soil, so the plant roots from the whole hill will go down there. This will
        be good for mineral absorbtion, but more importantly, for holding moisture, and
        for ease of watering, in case of drought. I had to make some rainwater
        containment ponds(total 2000 gallons),
        but I hope not to use them much, as I am using the ancient �Bucket Irrigation�
        method (google that one!). I may try raising crayfish, frogs, and the lovely
        purple pitcher plants.
        The deer fence I am
        building will double to support vines. I already have grapes and hardy kiwis
        ready to propagate. I am investigating mixing the crops all up, and leaving the
        weeds in place (just stomping them down so the won�t shade my plants). This will
        preserve the ecosystem, and confuse the bugs (isn�t monocropping and bare earth
        farming an invitation to disease, insect attacks, erosion ,low yields, and lack
        of mineral uptake in the plants?). My organic fig orchard is already growing
        well(they are so easy to propagate).
        Many years ago, I
        read that the (primitive!) people in New Guinea make a three tiered system, with tall plants(20 foot) on the south side, then a row
        of medium plants, then the shortest plants and ground covers out in front. This
        gives a good utilization of space and sunlight (oh, I wish I could grow papayas
        here in northern Virginia!). I do not believe that plants compete much for
        water and minerals, but I know they all need sun. So, I am
        ready to try anything that meets the above criteria, and I�m also growing
        everlastings to sell, may grow ginseng and goldenseal, and, of course , will
        have lots of Jerusalem artichokes (they grow like weeds, sell for $5 a pound,
        and are a perfect survival food, which can be harvested all winter). I�m also
        strongly considering raising rabbits for meat, and it seems that earthworms
        thrive on their excrement, so you can grow them under the bunnies at no extra
        cost. They sell for $26 a pound, and their poo sells for $7 a pound on up to
        gardeners (oh, the miracle of research that a humble couch potatoe such as
        myself should find out such wonderful things!). I mean, who but a lawyer or a
        politician would ordinarily think about feeding animals shit, and then selling
        it at high prices to people?

      • robin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
          no, why should we? what can you get out of a bottle that can't be
          supplied by nature? why, are you selling it? and why call it
          "art"?;D****robin

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith
          <meredith848@...> wrote:

          > http://www.mycominerals.com/
          > Do you know about this stuff?
          > Michael

        • Michael Meredith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
            You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting information.
            Michael

            ________________________________

            <meredith848@ ...> wrote:

            > http://www.mycomine rals.com/
            > Do you know about this stuff?
            > Michael

          • robin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
              dear michael,

              no, i was just kidding with you...i'm just a little skeptical of
              anything man-made to try to "fix" nature such as fertilizer...but,
              what do i know? you sound like you have got the energy to grow alot of
              melons (;DDD) from what you've done so far.i did a lot of work at
              first, and now i don't have to do anything in the winter. but be
              careful with that uphill and downhill. i worked myself into a prolapse
              two years ago. now i HAVE to "do-nothing" (but i'm still a farmer!).

              perhaps some of the others in the group have heard of it and can
              discuss it more intelligently with you....dieter?*******robin :}

              <meredith848@...> wrote:

              > You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am
              not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting
              information.
              > Michael
              >

              > ________________________________

            • yashanich
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2009
                I've used a similar product, and in fact am using a similar product to grow my wheatgrass.
                The one that I use comes from Fungi Perfecti and is strait Mycorrhizal spores. I can't testify
                to its efficacy because I haven't used it for long enough yet, but I know a lot of people
                swear by it. It is also true that in any natural ecosystem such a product would be superfluous, but truly give a look around and look at all the unnatural ecosystems. Paul
                Stamets, founder of Fungi Perfecti suggests using it for remediation purposes, and why
                not? If your property has been denuded and scorched by pesticides, and all sorts of poor
                farming practices, then why not remediate your soil a one time population boost of
                mycorrhizal fungi?

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:

                > http://www.mycominerals.com/
                > Do you know about this stuff?
                > Michael

              • Michael Meredith
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Believe me , I am really just trying to do the best that I can for me and my family(I'm 52).
                  What I discover through research I generally share with people(though I've tried. I havent made too much money with it yet).
                  I've dug out some small ponds, but the work is good for me, I find, so the uphills should be ok.
                  Michael

                  ________________________________

                  <meredith848@ ...> wrote:

                  > You sound a little tooo upset to try to understand, and, no, I am
                  not selling it, in fact , I only just heard about it, so am soliciting
                  information.
                  > Michael

                • Michael Meredith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
                    Oh, I call lots of things art because its easier to type in, plus its fun, plus according to the US patent office there is no science, only "Art".
                    Michael