Gajin Tokuno

  • La Clarine Farm
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 28, 2008
      Does anybody have any experiences with author Gajin Tokuno (wrote a book
      called "Let Nature Do The Growing")? Any opinions?

      Thanks,

      Hank
    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2008
        Hank,

        I have heard about the author but I didn't read any of his books.
        Tokuno used to be an illustrator and author of children books. He
        even received a Manga award, if I remember correctly. In the 80s, he
        started writing gardening books on "how to grow vegetables without
        chemicals." His main interest appears to be "companion planting" and
        "growing vegetables in small spaces." He is the author of numerous
        books in Japanese and is generally associated with the broad spectrum
        of Natural Farming in Japan.

        Dieter Brand
        Portugal

        On 12/28/08, La Clarine Farm <laclarinefarm@...> wrote:
        > Does anybody have any experiences with author Gajin Tokuno (wrote a book
        > called "Let Nature Do The Growing")? Any opinions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Hank

      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2008
          Hi,

          Tokuno's "Let Nature Do the Growing' is available used on abebooks.com for about $5.95, if you want a copy. He was a splendid illustrator and his book (if you can get past the sometimes obscure translation of the plant names) is a great introduction to Asian vegetables for westerners not familiar with their appearance or how to grow them.

          But he was not a natural farmer or a forest gardener.  He used wood ash and other ashes as fertilizer.

          Bob Monie
          New Orleans, La 70119
          Zone 8

          On 12/28/08, La Clarine Farm <laclarinefarm@ att.net> wrote:
          > Does anybody have any experiences with author Gajin Tokuno (wrote a book
          > called "Let Nature Do The Growing")? Any opinions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Hank

        • Michael Meredith
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2008
            OK< so who's doing azomite, charcoal , and sonic bloom in their weed garden but me?
            Michael

            ________________________________

            I have heard about the author but I didn't read any of his books.
            Tokuno used to be an illustrator and author of children books. He
            even received a Manga award, if I remember correctly. In the 80s, he
            started writing gardening books on "how to grow vegetables without
            chemicals." His main interest appears to be "companion planting" and
            "growing vegetables in small spaces." He is the author of numerous
            books in Japanese and is generally associated with the broad spectrum
            of Natural Farming in Japan.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

            On 12/28/08, La Clarine Farm <laclarinefarm@ att.net> wrote:
            > Does anybody have any experiences with author Gajin Tokuno (wrote a book
            > called "Let Nature Do The Growing")? Any opinions?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Hank

          • Dieter Brand
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
              Bob,

              Why would a natural farmer not use wood ashes?

              Dieter

              On 12/31/08, Michael Meredith <meredith848@...> wrote:
              > OK< so who's doing azomite, charcoal , and sonic bloom in their weed garden
              > but me?
              > Michael
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Michael Meredith
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
                Wood ashes are good, but the charcoal is probably better.
                Michael

                ________________________________

                On 12/31/08, Michael Meredith <meredith848@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                > OK< so who's doing azomite, charcoal , and sonic bloom in their weed garden
                > but me?
                > Michael
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Harvest McCampbell
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
                  We heat with wood and I use the ashes in the garden, lots of them . .
                  . But we live in a high rainfall area where the soils tend to be a
                  bit on the acidic side.

                  In low rainfall areas, especially if the soil tends towards alkaline,
                  the ashes can be problematic if not used sparingly . . .

                  Ashes actually are high in calcium, which soils in high rainfall areas
                  tend to be low in . . . They are low in nitrogen and sulfur, but
                  otherwise provide all the minerals plants need. However, these
                  minerals have been changed into an inorganic form, so it is very
                  useful to also add plenty of organic matter.

                  The areas that I have been using plenty of ashes and mulch, the soil
                  has a beautiful crumbly texture . . . My greens and garlic love it,
                  and nothing at all seems to complain . . .

                  Harvest
                  http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Michael Meredith
                  <meredith848@...> wrote:

                  > Wood ashes are good, but the charcoal is probably better.
                  > Michael
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Michael Meredith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
                    http://www.geotimes.org/webcasts/article.html?id=char.html

                    http://news.mongabay.com/2008/0411-terra_preta.html
                    charcoal

                    ________________________________

                    <meredith848@ ...> wrote:

                    > Wood ashes are good, but the charcoal is probably better.
                    > Michael
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • La Clarine Farm
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2008
                      Harvest, some claim that ashes will dry out a soil. Do you have any
                      feeling that this occurs?

                      -Hank

                      Harvest McCampbell wrote:

                      > We heat with wood and I use the ashes in the garden, lots of them . .
                      > . But we live in a high rainfall area where the soils tend to be a
                      > bit on the acidic side.
                      >
                      > In low rainfall areas, especially if the soil tends towards alkaline,
                      > the ashes can be problematic if not used sparingly . . .
                      >
                      > Ashes actually are high in calcium, which soils in high rainfall areas
                      > tend to be low in . . . They are low in nitrogen and sulfur, but
                      > otherwise provide all the minerals plants need. However, these
                      > minerals have been changed into an inorganic form, so it is very
                      > useful to also add plenty of organic matter.
                      >
                      > The areas that I have been using plenty of ashes and mulch, the soil
                      > has a beautiful crumbly texture . . . My greens and garlic love it,
                      > and nothing at all seems to complain . . .
                      >
                      > Harvest
                      > http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/
                      > <http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/>
                      >
                      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>, Michael Meredith
                      > <meredith848@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Wood ashes are good, but the charcoal is probably better.
                      > > Michael
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • Michael Meredith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Did I send you this one?
                        What do you think of it?

                        http://newsagency.thecheers.org/Science/news_19828_Fertile-soil-in-ancient-Amazon-site-may-help-to-curb-global-warming.html

                        Michael
                        bigsculpture.org
                        transparentroofing.com
                        michaelsremodeling.com

                        ________________________________
                        Why would a natural farmer not use wood ashes?

                        Dieter

                        On 12/31/08, Michael Meredith <meredith848@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                        > OK< so who's doing azomite, charcoal , and sonic bloom in their weed garden
                        > but me?
                        > Michael
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Harvest McCampbell
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2009
                          Hi Hank . . .

                          Rainfall here averages between 30 and 60 inches a year, and we burn
                          wood and create ashes during the wet season . . . so, this is mearly
                          theoretical . . .

                          But it seems that ashes may resemble salts in some ways, high in
                          minerals and alkaline in nature .. . salts do tend to attract water,
                          ashes may do the same . . .

                          I think experience is the best judge . . . set up some test plots and
                          try different things . . .

                          Since burning anything releases carbon into the atmosphere, I would
                          never make ashes on purpose, but since we do make them as a byproduct
                          of heating, I am going to make the best use of them I can . . .

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, La Clarine Farm
                          <laclarinefarm@...> wrote:

                          > Harvest, some claim that ashes will dry out a soil. Do you have any
                          > feeling that this occurs?
                          >
                          > -Hank
                          >
                          > Harvest McCampbell wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We heat with wood and I use the ashes in the garden, lots of them . .
                          > > . But we live in a high rainfall area where the soils tend to be a
                          > > bit on the acidic side.
                          > >
                          > > In low rainfall areas, especially if the soil tends towards alkaline,
                          > > the ashes can be problematic if not used sparingly . . .
                          > >
                          > > Ashes actually are high in calcium, which soils in high rainfall areas
                          > > tend to be low in . . . They are low in nitrogen and sulfur, but
                          > > otherwise provide all the minerals plants need. However, these
                          > > minerals have been changed into an inorganic form, so it is very
                          > > useful to also add plenty of organic matter.
                          > >
                          > > The areas that I have been using plenty of ashes and mulch, the soil
                          > > has a beautiful crumbly texture . . . My greens and garlic love it,
                          > > and nothing at all seems to complain . . .
                          > >
                          > > Harvest
                          > > http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/
                          > > <http://harvestsgardeningsecrets.blogspot.com/>
                          > >
                          > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                          > > <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>, Michael Meredith
                          > > <meredith848@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Wood ashes are good, but the charcoal is probably better.
                          > > > Michael
                          > > >

                          > > > ________________________________

                        • Dieter Brand
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Hank, Harvest, et al,

                            We use some of our wood (only a tiny fraction of what grows back) for heating.

                            On our clay soil, the effect of wood ashes is a bit like that of lime:
                            the solid light brown clay will turn into a crumblier darker soil. It
                            would take too much time to set up test plots to do exact
                            humidity-retaining tests. I have nevertheless no doubt that the
                            crumblier soil structure can hold water better than pure clay.

                            When I converted to Natural Farming five years ago, I stopped using
                            the ashes in the garden and used it on the compost heap instead (some
                            people recommend using ashes in compost) since I continued to make
                            compost, even though a lot less than previously. However, I didn't
                            like that very much because it was too much work to homogeneously mix
                            the ashes with the compost, there would always remain some clumps of
                            ashes in the heap. I also had the impression that the ashes did dry
                            out the compost, but this really is a very subjective impression.

                            Anyway, if my ever so non-scientific observations are correct, it
                            could be that ashes do indeed have a drying-out effect in compost but
                            that the overall effect on clay soil is positive.

                            For a couple of years I just returned the ashes to the forest, but
                            considering the positive effect the ashes have on our clay soil, I
                            have now reverted to using the ashes in the garden and the fields.
                            Anyway, spreading the ashes from one winter over an acre or two
                            results in a very thin layer that shouldn't impact the soil biology
                            too much.

                            Fukuoka stopped using ashes in the garden when he noticed a negative
                            effect on spiders and other insects living in the mulch near the
                            ground. Obviously, the ashes would make the spider nets temporarily
                            unusable. In my case, there are hardly any spiders in the garden
                            during the winter anyways, and the ashes will be gone after a rain
                            shower or irrigation.

                            Hence, I concluded that, as long as the ashes are from our own hearth,
                            to use wood ashes in the garden is consistent with Natural Farming as
                            I understand it. To put them in the garbage would certainly be wrong.

                            Dieter Brand
                            Portugal
                          • Michael Meredith
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
                              Some people advocate mixing ashes and urine together to create a balanced fertilizer.
                              Of course, we throw away so many valuable things.
                              Michael

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Yes I think that is exactly right Dieter, the wood came from the soil,
                                and if we are using it to create ashes it should be returned to the
                                soil. Each of us needs to make our own observations on how this is
                                best done for our own gardens and farms . . .

                                Ashes were once used in soap making, in processing some foods, and I
                                am sure for other things as well . . . I think if we are producing
                                them, if possible we need to use them in a good way . . .

                                Harvest

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Dieter Brand"