Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: A tale of nutrients and the importance of seed saving

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 7, 2008
      Guenther,

      The idea of forest gardens has become very trendy in recent years.
      There have been a number of publications, innumerable web pages and a
      lot of enthusiasm. After the dust has settled, I think we can say
      that any farm environment ought to have a good mix of annuals and
      perennials. How this mix will look like depends on your location. In
      a country with little sunshine you want to be careful about not
      introducing too much shade. Here in the South of Portugal, I have my
      "summer garden" in the semi-shade of large trees which helps me reduce
      irrigation during the dry season. Almost half of our land is in full
      shade of large trees or bushes. A couple of years ago, I tried
      experimenting sowing vegetables and planting bushes in pockets of good
      soil in the wooded area, almost nothing came of it. Try to look at
      traditional English farms with vegetable garden, orchards, fields and
      meadows where you find trees and hedges here and there. That will
      give you an idea.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal
    • Sporoi Se Svolous
      Message 60 of 60 , Dec 11, 2008
        Dear friend,

        you may cultivate your slopy field using natural farming without spending capital for leveling. Observe among others and the following details:
        In case you will plow do it in leveled lines following the natural contours of the ground. This way you will avoid the elutriation and washing down of your fertile top soil, keeping the rainwater from runing down within the plow furrows.
        If you will employ the no till method you must cover the soil with straw, or leaves or choped branches of trees or anything else available as saw dust or chips of wood from a carpenters shop. This is a measure to protect the top soil from erosion, keep the soil moist and keep it free from weed.

        Good luck,