Question: Effectiveness of seed balls in palm-dominant alley cropping?

  • Douglas Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hello,

      I am wondering if anyone has or knows of success with seed ball grain
      propagation in a palm-dominant Taungya (alley cropping) system.
      Supposedly, the mulch from the palm fronds makes ordinary cultivation
      difficult. But what about a natural farming approach?

      Thank you!
    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
        Douglas,

        I don't have any experience with alley cropping, but I do use palm
        fronds for mulching. The thick ends will take more than a year to
        decompose, but that doesn't matter if you don't plow. Phoenix palms
        are useful for direct seeding or transplanting. Washingtonias are
        more difficult to use.

        Dieter