indication of rhizobia

  • Etem Tezcan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hello
      I once read that when a legume is infected (not in a bad sense) with
      rhizobium bacteria(i.e. it is actively fixing nitrogen from air), the
      inside part of the nodules in the roots is reddish in color.
      I once dug out roots of an alfalfa plant in my garden and the color was
      whitish meaning that it was not infected with rhizobia.
      Etem
    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
        Etem,

        I have never used alfaalfa, it doesn't grow well on my soil. But with
        most legumes, the nodules are white on the outside, and when you cut
        them in half with a sharp knife the color of the cut surface will
        change to pink. If it stays white that means that the nodule is
        empty.

        Dieter