Seed source for old varieties of wheat

  • delta_webmaster
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2008
      A few years ago there was a discussion here about locating wheat seed
      from a true winter wheat. As per Mark Moodie's book 'The Harmonious
      Wheatsmith' Apparently around 1826 winter wheat was crossed with
      summer wheat and all winter wheat now will go to seed if planted too
      early in the summer.

      The reason I ask about this is at that time the only way to get these
      seeds was in lots of less than one dozen seeds. I never got it
      together to start this project and grow these out to a larger number
      of seeds and wonder if anyone knows of a source of seeds?

      Steve UP of Michigan
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2008
        \\
        This is probably the most asked question of newbies in this forum.

        unfortunately no ones come up with a good answer....

        GRIN .. by the usda.. classifies
        true winter wheats separtely...
        doing a search for this wheat type,
        and cross referncing listed vareiites
        with seed catalogues could potential be one way to find them...

        also I strongly suspect that Bluestem wheat by Bountiful gardens is a
        true winter wheat, but I haven't personally tested it....

        according to some research I was doing, a while back..
        varieiteis listed as "thatching wheat" are good for this technique...
        this would of course refer to UK vareities and might be hard to find
        in the states.

        ..
        anyone interested in this subject, might want to look into the SRI
        method of rice farming..
        apparently the tillering process in all grasses is similar..
        and that these 'natural farming ' methods simply maximize tillering
        prior to reproductive growth....

        this of course requres.. timing spacing and fertility among other
        things....

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "delta_webmaster" <steb@...>