Re: A tale of nutrients and the importance of seed saving

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 4, 2008
      > Dieter,
      >
      > This is impressive. Saving seeds is good from economical point of
      view also and makes farming more self-sustainable.

      > But why is that "soil worked on by a farmer will improve more than
      soil left to nature without any human interference"? Ideally I would
      have expected the other way since nature knows what to grow best.

      -- I'll attempt an answer at this one....
      nature does know what to work best.. this is true, but
      we as gardeners or farmers don't won't what's best, we want food.

      nature is a process.. sucession... frist the weeds, then weak
      perrenials, then shrubs, and finally a forest...
      (well its much more complicated than that, but......

      anyways... i think the spirit of fukuoka is using energy to direct
      nature rather than replace, fight, or... abolish.....

      so we encourage and seedball/plant restorative plants...
      nature might take a century to build the soil back...
      using knowledge and working with nature it might take a decade....

      its taking cues from nature and using a slight push in the right
      direction that human action is most effectively used..

      then again if we live in a desert, as dieter does 8 months of the
      year, it might take a life time to learn WHERE to push nature.
    • Sporoi Se Svolous
      Message 60 of 60 , Dec 11, 2008
        Dear friend,

        you may cultivate your slopy field using natural farming without spending capital for leveling. Observe among others and the following details:
        In case you will plow do it in leveled lines following the natural contours of the ground. This way you will avoid the elutriation and washing down of your fertile top soil, keeping the rainwater from runing down within the plow furrows.
        If you will employ the no till method you must cover the soil with straw, or leaves or choped branches of trees or anything else available as saw dust or chips of wood from a carpenters shop. This is a measure to protect the top soil from erosion, keep the soil moist and keep it free from weed.

        Good luck,