Re: [fukuoka_farming] A tale of nutrients and the importance of seed saving

  • Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 3, 2008
      Dieter Brand escribió:

      > Takahashi has been a Natural Farmer in Saitama prefecture, Japan, for
      > 30 years. He is also an active member of the Narita Natural Farmers
      > Association.
      >
      > Scientists and researches who have come to test his soil found that it
      > lacks nutrients. For example, there are only about 10% of the
      > nutrients normally required for growing carrots. And yet Takahashi
      > has no problem growing his vegetables without any fertilizers
      > whatsoever. However, when somebody tried to cultivate F1 vegetables
      > in his soil, they didn't grow.
      >
      > Takahashi has been saving seeds for nearly 20 years, which has allowed
      > him to grow vegetables naturally without fertilizers, while commercial
      > seeds will not grow very well. He believes that there is a relation
      > not only between soil and seeds but also between humans (i.e. the
      > farmer), soil and seeds; for example seeds saved on his farm don't do
      > very well on a neighboring farm even though it has the same soil,
      > while they may produce good results in a distant place. He considers
      > that the longer we save seeds the stronger seeds, soil and humans will
      > become.
      >
      > According to Takahashi, plants grown without fertilizers will develop
      > deeper roots that, if they remain in the soil, act like soil compost.
      > He uses wheat and daikon to cultivate the soil. But seeds from seed
      > companies are developed to be grown with fertilizers and agrochemicals
      >
      > He believes that fertilizers are "poison for the soil". When, members
      > from his Farmers Association dug up conventionally farmed soil to a
      > depth of 2 meters, they came to a black and hard layer of soil that
      > exhibited a lower temperature than other layers. They believed that
      > this layer must have been formed by fertilizers and other agricultural
      > chemicals. Takahashi thinks that it is necessary to destroy this
      > layer for the "energy of the soil" to flow freely.
      >
      > Takahashi also found that soil worked on by a farmer will improve more
      > than soil left to nature without any human interference. There is an
      > empty lot next to his farm which is covered with tall goldenrod
      > (Solidago altissima). To prevent the weed from spreading to his own
      > farm he has been cutting a strip of land next to his own each year,
      > leaving the remaining land untouched. After several years he found
      > that the part he had been cutting developed different weeds such as
      > chickweed and vetch, which can often be found on soil used for
      > vegetable cultivation, while the part that remained untouched kept on
      > producing the same weeds year after year. Hence, soil and vegetation
      > can be positively affected by the mere act of cutting weeds.
      >
      > Summary from Japanese original by:
      > Dieter Brand, Portugal
      >
      > PS: Takahashi in Japan like Anna Primavesi in Brazil like H.P. Rusch
      > in Germany teach us not to trust the agrochemical engineer telling us
      > that our soil is deficient in this or that and that we need to add
> [...]

      Nice tale Dieter! I'll forward to our seed saving group.

      BR,
      --
      Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado

      http://homes.ourproject.org/~vjrj/blog
      http://ourproject.org

      "What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
      homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of
      totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" [Gandhi]
    • Sporoi Se Svolous
      Message 60 of 60 , Dec 11, 2008
        Dear friend,

        you may cultivate your slopy field using natural farming without spending capital for leveling. Observe among others and the following details:
        In case you will plow do it in leveled lines following the natural contours of the ground. This way you will avoid the elutriation and washing down of your fertile top soil, keeping the rainwater from runing down within the plow furrows.
        If you will employ the no till method you must cover the soil with straw, or leaves or choped branches of trees or anything else available as saw dust or chips of wood from a carpenters shop. This is a measure to protect the top soil from erosion, keep the soil moist and keep it free from weed.

        Good luck,