Temperate Rice Varieties

  • yashanich
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      Hello, my name is Yasha Nichvolodoff. I am located in the
      Castlegar/Nelson region of southern British Columbia, Canada. There is
      an average of 159 frost free days, highs of 35-40 degrees celcius in
      july. I am looking for seed sources for short season rice and other
      heritage grain varieties available in North America. As well, I have
      had no luck finding small scale grain threshers. I have heard of the
      ferrari, and the build it yourself rodale thresher, as well as the AMAR
      multicrop thresher ($2730 US FOB). Does anybody have, or know of small
      grain threshers available in North America?

      Sincerest Regards -Yasha
    • yashanich
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Lalit,

        I will keep you guys posted on the rice/thresher front
      • Arlo
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009
          If you are only growing a small amount of rice it is not difficult to knock the rice from the
          straw on a large tarp, sheet or something similar. This can save you a lot of money and
          energy on expensive machinery. Also once the rice is free from the straw you can use a
          large wood pestle and mortar to remove the husk. If you need more detailed information
          let me know.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "yashanich" <yashanich@...> wrote:

          > Hello, my name is Yasha Nichvolodoff. I am located in the
          > Castlegar/Nelson region of southern British Columbia, Canada. There is
          > an average of 159 frost free days, highs of 35-40 degrees celcius in
          > july. I am looking for seed sources for short season rice and other
          > heritage grain varieties available in North America. As well, I have
          > had no luck finding small scale grain threshers. I have heard of the
          > ferrari, and the build it yourself rodale thresher, as well as the AMAR
          > multicrop thresher ($2730 US FOB). Does anybody have, or know of small
          > grain threshers available in North America?
          >
          > Sincerest Regards -Yasha

        • Arlo
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2009