Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Question about drought

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      Peg,

      I don't know where your area is. But if your winters aren't too cold
      you may consider growing a winter annual cover crop in addition to
      covering your garden area with mulch. Since plants enrich the soil
      with nutrients from the air, a living mulch (ie. cover crop) is always
      better than a dead mulch. But the one does not exclude the other.
      For example, I sow lupines and broad beans between my summer
      vegetables from August to December; which means that my garden and
      part of the fields are already covered with a foot or more of legumes
      by the time the summer vegetables are killed by the cold. I sow
      lupines (for broad beans I need to dig a hole) then cover the seeds
      with mulch (kitchen scraps, plant residues, rotten fruit, everything I
      have got). I will keep some legumes for eating or seed-saving, but
      most legumes will be cut in the spring to grow next years food in.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal