Whoops! 300,000 plant spp. not 3000000 Re: Invitation to view Raju's...- SUBABUL

  • macropneuma
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 21, 2008
      Whoops! my mistake below for the rounded number of likely plant species on the earth - i
      should have written 300,000 (three hundred thousand) not 3,000,000 (three million) - my
      bad writing & overstatement, sorry.
      I have corrected it below, and some other minor grammar & clarity errors, in the quoted
      text and added ***s.
      Jase

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "macropneuma" <macropneuma@...> wrote:

      > We concluded that Fukuoka-sensei's Morishima Acacia is Acacia mearnsii,
      > but personally i think from these photos Raju has kindly posted and his earlier ones,
      many
      > moons ago, that this is not Acacia mearnsii or Acacia dealbata - as i posted in detail
      > earlier here, there are many hundreds of Acacia species natural to my home country
      here
      > of Australia.
      >
      > Raju, it is up to you to determine or have it determined, what the botanical name of
      > Subabul actually is.
      > I am a botanist confident in determining many Australian plant species' taxonomy but
      > without very detailed close-up photos of the:
      > -leaves, their gland structures,
      > -flowers and the inflorescences they form,
      > -bark,
      > -seeds and the pods in which they from, including the funicle or elaiosome, which
      > attaches the seed to the pod, and may or may not encircle the seed, as for example in
      > Acacia melanoxylon -Blackwood wattle,
      > -etc., etc.,
      > then it is not possible to confidently determine this plant species, even if it is an Acacia
      > spp. at all - personally i see that it is equally possible to my eyes to be Leucaena
      > leucocephala, as Bob proposes.
      >
      > I have to agree with Bob that in a world with ***300,000*** [edited] or more
      scientifically predicted
      > likely plant species (as scientific extrapolations from the current number of formally
      > described species -last time i read it), and more than 6,000,000,000 people, wherein
      our many
      > wonderful cultures all have their own names for many plant species, both native &
      > introduced;
      > That to avoid the frustrating confusion and even wasting time and money based on
      > advice, we have to resort to giving (Latin/Greek -it's a mixture) botanical names, as the
      > only international standard currently available. This is as a minimum, given that each
      species
      > contains thousands of individuals, each one with a unique set of genes (except clonally
      reproduced individuals), which are in turn grouped into genetically-structured
      populations, then into ecotypes/provenances/infraspecific taxa. So the original
      > source plants, their environment and location of the genes of the subabul from ?
      Australia?