RE: [fukuoka_farming] Greywater Greenhouse

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
      Hello Rex,
      John Todd, who wrote the foreword to Toby Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden," is an acknowledged master at using plants and microorganisms to break down sewage and purify water. He and his wife Nancy have developed a system called "The Living Machine" that runs sewage and other wastes through a series of mini-ecospheres (housed in tubs) that eventually produces water clean enough for irrigation.
      Todd's methods are presented in two older books (now out of print): "Bioshelters, Ocean Arks, City Farming: Ecology as the Basis of Design," and "What Do We Use for Lifeboats when the Ship Goes Down? Conversations with Robert Reines, John Todd, Ian McHarg, Paolo Soleri, and Richard Saul Wurtman."
      His most recent book (still in print), co-authored with Nancy, is ""From Eco-Cities to Living Machines."
      Todd's approach works well enough to handle the entire Municipal Sewage Treatment Plant for city of Burlington, Vermont. He manages the citys sewage load without using chlorine or any other chemicals.
      His two web sites are http://www.oceanarks.org/ and http://www.livingmachines.com/ and he is amply represented on google.com under "John Todd, living machines."
      Todd has worked with several architects and designers, including Paolo Soleri and Maya Linn. Todd is an eloquent advocate of hydroponics systems, but, from his introduction to Gaia's Garden, one must conclude that he has some interest in permaculture/forest farming/ natural farming as well.
      Are you already familiar with Tood's Living Machines, Rex? I'd be interested in your opinion.
      Bob Monie
      Rex Teague wrote:On 6 Aug 02, souscayrous wrote:

      > I'm also in the process of researching reedbeds (amongst other
      > things) and would mention Art Ludwig's website
      > http://www.oasisdesign.net/index.htm for much excellent information
      > on greywater and its use.

      Thanks for the link but again the real reason for the website is
      marketing his books and services. Admittedly that's from a brief visit
      however after the amount of information I've sifted through my
      antenna for the essence is fairly well tuned. 8-)

      > Have you heard of Tom Watson's 'Watson Wick' system? It is simply a
      > gravel filled trench (sand is also possible) through which the
      > greywater and blackwater passes, feeding the trees you plant upon
      > this medium - which I think from your post is your ultimate
      > intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick' working and it seemed to be
      > coping with the small domestic flows it was designed for,
      > certainly the trees were flourishing.

      Yes... my osier bed proposal will have a similar purpose.

      > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you
      > might not of thought of it! - though considering your usual
      > thoroughness when it comes to web links I doubt it). There have
      > also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
      > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a
      > couple at her place).

      I have directed questions to Robyn on the [permaculture] list... they
      weren't answered. Lawrence London has one of his large compilation
      files specifically on "constructed wetlands".

      > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful
      > source of information.

      Will do... Rex

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Tookie
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 10, 2002
        Hi Bob and Rex,

        There is also Dean Cameron who invented the Dowmus system widely used in
        Australia. He has taken that abit further and called it the Biolytix system
        http://www.biolytix.com/index.htm that is being used very successfully in
        many large develpments etc. We are bringing them on as consultants in our
        eco-village project and it is likely that we will use this entire system
        should our project get through council. In any case - their website is
        interesting as well.

        Tookie

> [...]

        > intention. I've seen a 'Watson Wick' working and it seemed to be
        > coping with the small domestic flows it was designed for,
        > certainly the trees were flourishing.

        Yes... my osier bed proposal will have a similar purpose.

        > Have you tried web searches using 'constructed wetland' (well, you
        > might not of thought of it! - though considering your usual
        > thoroughness when it comes to web links I doubt it). There have
        > also been email threads on the pc list about reed beds, you might
        > want to search their archives (I remember Robyn Francis has a
        > couple at her place).

        I have directed questions to Robyn on the [permaculture] list... they
        weren't answered. Lawrence London has one of his large compilation
        files specifically on "constructed wetlands".

        > Good Luck and let me know if you happen upon a particularly fruitful

      • Wendy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 24, 2002
          Hi Robert,

          I've only glancing at the Todds' work, but with the little I did felt, for
          me, that it might be a bit elaborate with machines and all. I'm always
          looking toward simple, local, earth-based working with nature and its' laws
          but simple vs. elaborate. What do you think knowing their work better?
          take care,
          wendy