seedballs from grain

  • Karri Varpio
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
      Hi,

      Does anybody have experience about making seedballs from grain seeds? A
      suitable equipment for making seedballs for several hectares? Is compost
      necessary in seedballs?

      First I want to experiment in small area. The idea is to sow seedballs on
      frozen ground either early spring or preferably late fall. That way seeds
      germinate as soon as temperature allows it (unless they rotten during long
      winter?).

      Any comments or ideas about this are welcome, also about other natural
      methods of grain growing.

      Perhaps I should shortly introduce myself: I live in Finland. Our main
      business is organic vegetable growing. I have had many thoughts about
      Fukuoka's methods with vegetables, but so far our market crops are grown in
      'conventional' organic way, even though we are experimenting with straw
      mulching with transplanted plants. From this year on the mulched beds are
      intended to be permanent.
      I also tried scattering some vegetable seeds together with white clover on a
      small plot (without coating the seeds). So far (3rd year) it has not been so
      great success. Perennial weeds are too strong (I know dandelion can be used
      in many ways, but still...). Maybe I should first have cut the weeds several
      times during summer, and that way let first clover and then vegetables take
      their place. Do I need a new beginning?

      As far as I remember from 'The Natural Way of Farming', Fukuoka did not show
      very accurately the direction for vegetable market farming, even though he
      admitted that the semi-wild scatter-the-seeds-and-harvest -method isn't most
      suitable for this purpose. So there is still much to experiment with. Has
      anybody started?

      Karri Varpio
    • Castillo Gallery
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2001
        try www.seedballs.com

        it seems highly recommended to use compost in seedballs...there's a recipe
        at the website along with other good stuff

        terry
        >Does anybody have experience about making seedballs from grain seeds? A
        >suitable equipment for making seedballs for several hectares? Is compost
        >necessary in seedballs?
        >
        >First I want to experiment in small area. The idea is to sow seedballs on
        >frozen ground either early spring or preferably late fall. That way seeds
        >germinate as soon as temperature allows it (unless they rotten during long
        >winter?).
        >
        >Any comments or ideas about this are welcome, also about other natural
        >methods of grain growing.
        >
        >Perhaps I should shortly introduce myself: I live in Finland. Our main
        >business is organic vegetable growing. I have had many thoughts about
        >Fukuoka's methods with vegetables, but so far our market crops are grown in
        >'conventional' organic way, even though we are experimenting with straw
        >mulching with transplanted plants. From this year on the mulched beds are
        >intended to be permanent.
        >I also tried scattering some vegetable seeds together with white clover on
        >small plot (without coating the seeds). So far (3rd year) it has not been
        so
        >great success. Perennial weeds are too strong (I know dandelion can be used
        >in many ways, but still...). Maybe I should first have cut the weeds
        several
        >times during summer, and that way let first clover and then vegetables take
        >their place. Do I need a new beginning?
        >
        >As far as I remember from 'The Natural Way of Farming', Fukuoka did not
        show
        >very accurately the direction for vegetable market farming, even though he
        >admitted that the semi-wild scatter-the-seeds-and-harvest -method isn't
        most
        >suitable for this purpose. So there is still much to experiment with. Has
        >anybody started?
        >
        >Karri Varpio

      • burt levy
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2001
          from redbudburt to Karri Varpio.
          I would cut the weeds down several times, then make
          seedballs with a mix of red clover and white clover.
          Also mix in the varieties of grains and veggies that
          you want to grow. My experience with seedballs is that
          they germinate very quickly under the right
          conditions. Of course I live in Northern Calif. So my
          growing conditions are far different than yours.
          However if you make seedballs with a wide variety of
          seeds then nature will pick out something that will
          grow in your area.

          http://personals.yahoo.com