Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Book about Natural Farmers in Japan

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
      Thanks Bob, I will keep this for future reference.

      Dieter

      From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo. com>
      To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, November 17, 2008, 11:09 AM

      Bob,

      I can translate the book for my own pleasure without asking anyone; however, to distribute it, I would need to get permission.  That is where a publisher comes in.  They have the necessary experience.  If you know of any small specialty publisher who specializes in alternative farming/gardening methods, soil, ecology, etc.; and who may fit such a book into her catalogue, please let me know.

      Dieter
      From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo. com>
      To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 5:21 AM

      Bob and all,

      Bob gave an English translation for the book title, but I better repeat that
      the book itself is in Japanese.  It is a smallish book with 135 pages, a bit
      larger than A5 size.  About half is text and the rest are pictures of natural
      farmers in Japan.  The pictures are nice; they show the farmers in their
      environment, but don¢t go into technical detail.  Some are just growing for
      their own family; others are running what could be termed as small market
      gardening operations.  I think there is also one operating like a CSA in the
      US.  Even though, many seem to grow the Japanese food staple rice.  You can
      see the first few pages with Kawaguchi at his farm at:

      http://yu-min. sakura.ne. jp/photo/ 0803shizennou. pdf
      (140 KB) or

      http://yu-min. sakura.ne. jp/photo/ 0803shizennou_ print.pdf
      (2.7 MB for printing)

      About translating the other book; the problem is not the translation but
      finding a publisher who will take the commercial risk.  The way it normally
      works is that a publisher will chose a foreign published book, evaluate if it
      can be sold in her own market and what the chances are of recovering the cost.
      If the outcome is positive, then the publisher will contact the foreign
      publisher (Japanese in this case) to negotiate a commercial contract about
      copyright, royalties, etc.  Private persons who try this usually get drowned.
      Sometimes, a translator or someone else will also propose a book she considers
      worthwhile translating to a publisher.

      If this book turns out to be of interest, I may translate a chapter or so to
      send to a publisher, but I first have to have a better look to see if it does
      have a chance of finding a publisher.  After all, this is not a mass market we
      are talking about.  I had a look at the editorial details; the book is in the
      third edition, published in 2007.  The first edition was in 2005.  I don¢t
      know how many copies they publish for each edition, but the fact that there is
      more than one is encouraging.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal