RE: [fukuoka_farming] soil regeneration

  • souscayrous
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
      >In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
      (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating,
      this
      seems a good and interesting solution.

      Also here in southern France, the chêne vert coppice nicely; large pieces
      for firewood smaller twigs, branches and leaves I break or split into
      smaller pieces for a deep mulch. Sustainable, but without a chainsaw and
      robust shredder quite labour intensive.
      Souscayrous

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
        I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone
        was working on producing a Fukuoka Natural farm or
        garden, and what thier results are so far. Also what
        problems are they facing. I'm traveling up into the
        Northwest from Northern Cal. I'm stopping off at
        various organic farms to talk to people about Natural
        farming. I'm going to try to convince organic farmers
        to try Natural farming techniques on fallow ground, or
        on small patches as test sites. I'll report on any
        takers.

        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
        http://www.hotjobs.com
      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
          REPLY:
          Hi Burt and Souscayrous,
          A network of Fukuoka experimental stations throughout the US would be a great accomplishment, even if only a little plot on each farm were devoted to this purpose.
          Burt, do you have any plans to go near the Redwood National Park? About 35 miles east of the park, off Bigfoot Scenic Highway 96, in Orleans, California, is George Steven's "Synergy Seeds" farm. Since Stevens is just about the only commercial farmer in the US who claims to be growing some seed (mostly grains, I believe) by methods adapted from Fukuoka, it would be a shame not to stop and talk with him. His address is P.O. Box 323, Orleans, CA 95556, e-mail 67@....
          Wouldn't we all like to see a map of Fukuoka research farms from Vancouver to Florida, from Baja, California to Rhode Island--a sort of Woody Guthrie "this land is your land" network dovoted to natural farming.
          May you have a productive trip along the West Coast,
          Robert Monie
          burt levy wrote:I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone
          --- souscayrous wrote:
          > >In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate
          > and cold climate
          > (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally
          > produced wood for heating,
          > this
          > seems a good and interesting solution.
          >
          > Also here in southern France, the ch�ne vert coppice
          > nicely; large pieces
          > for firewood smaller twigs, branches and leaves I
          > break or split into
          > smaller pieces for a deep mulch. Sustainable, but
          > without a chainsaw and
          > robust shredder quite labour intensive.
          > Souscayrous

        • burt levy
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2002
            I went through the area on the coast. I didn't go to
            Synergy farms, but I have been in contact with George.
            I told him about the website here. I have plans to
            visit him in Sept. He is about 3 hours away. I told
            him we could make seedballs while I was there. He was
            pretty excited about that and said that he would have
            some friends over and have a seedball party. One thing
            however is that a 300,000 acre fire went through that
            area into and So. Oregon. I was told that it went
            through Orleans. So I am going to email Geogre and
            find out if he made it through alright. He lives in a
            very remote area. I'll report on If he is alright.