Re: [fukuoka_farming] Planting Broadbeans - advice

  • David Keltie
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2008
      In my garden, I just cut off and chop all the weeds at ground level,
      leave them on the surface and plant seeds straight into the ground
      (brambles you might want to shred or cut into small pieces first!).

      As the beans grow, I just keep cutting and dropping the weeds.
      Eventually the weeds get pretty much shaded out by the growing beans.

      With other crops, I'm troubled by the slugs that lurk in the decaying
      weeds but the broad beans seem untouched. You could use layers of
      newspaper first on top of the cut weeds and plant into holes cut in
      it, if you don't want to be bothered to keep cutting. But then you
      need to secure the paper and/or cover with a mulch.

      HTH, David (in Herefordshire).