Re: [fukuoka_farming] soil regeneration

  • Xavier Dequaire
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
      What I understand is that you can use coppice wood for that purpose and for 3-4
      years. In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
      (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating, this
      seems a good and interesting solution.

      I'll explore the archive

      > Whilst the time needed to grow a hardwood forest and return it to fertility
      > may be beyond our patience (100-200 years)

      I have read somewhere, new research results, that the best forest nowadays grow
      on former farm land....

      so the alternance like in traditional settlements with burning of small areas
      like the lacandon or in the amazonas might be a reasonable solution.
      It is sustainable

      peace

      XAvier
      --
      _____________________________________
      For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:

      Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
      Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

      _____________________________________
      Homesite http://www.futurich.com/
      _____________________________________
    • souscayrous
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
        >In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
        (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating,
        this
        seems a good and interesting solution.

        Also here in southern France, the chêne vert coppice nicely; large pieces
        for firewood smaller twigs, branches and leaves I break or split into
        smaller pieces for a deep mulch. Sustainable, but without a chainsaw and
        robust shredder quite labour intensive.
        Souscayrous

        What I understand is that you can use coppice wood for that purpose and for
        3-4
        years. In an integrated settlement, at least in temperate and cold climate
        (like here in Norway and Canada) with locally produced wood for heating,
        this
        seems a good and interesting solution.

        I'll explore the archive

        > Whilst the time needed to grow a hardwood forest and return it to
        fertility
        > may be beyond our patience (100-200 years)

        I have read somewhere, new research results, that the best forest nowadays
        grow
        on former farm land....

        so the alternance like in traditional settlements with burning of small
        areas
        like the lacandon or in the amazonas might be a reasonable solution.
        It is sustainable

        peace

        XAvier
        --
        _____________________________________
        For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:
        For en bærekraftig samfunn
        XDi, X a v i e r D E Q U A I R E i n t e r a k t i v
        phone: (+47) 66 84 79 83
        CBT/Multimedia---anvendt e-learning-
        _____________________________________

        Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
        Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

      • burt levy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2002
          I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone
          was working on producing a Fukuoka Natural farm or
          garden, and what thier results are so far. Also what
          problems are they facing. I'm traveling up into the
          Northwest from Northern Cal. I'm stopping off at
          various organic farms to talk to people about Natural
          farming. I'm going to try to convince organic farmers
          to try Natural farming techniques on fallow ground, or
          on small patches as test sites. I'll report on any
          takers.

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • Robert Monie
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
            REPLY:
            Hi Burt and Souscayrous,
            A network of Fukuoka experimental stations throughout the US would be a great accomplishment, even if only a little plot on each farm were devoted to this purpose.
            Burt, do you have any plans to go near the Redwood National Park? About 35 miles east of the park, off Bigfoot Scenic Highway 96, in Orleans, California, is George Steven's "Synergy Seeds" farm. Since Stevens is just about the only commercial farmer in the US who claims to be growing some seed (mostly grains, I believe) by methods adapted from Fukuoka, it would be a shame not to stop and talk with him. His address is P.O. Box 323, Orleans, CA 95556, e-mail 67@....
            Wouldn't we all like to see a map of Fukuoka research farms from Vancouver to Florida, from Baja, California to Rhode Island--a sort of Woody Guthrie "this land is your land" network dovoted to natural farming.
            May you have a productive trip along the West Coast,
            Robert Monie
            burt levy wrote:I was wondering since it is growing season, if anyone

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2002
              I went through the area on the coast. I didn't go to
              Synergy farms, but I have been in contact with George.
              I told him about the website here. I have plans to
              visit him in Sept. He is about 3 hours away. I told
              him we could make seedballs while I was there. He was
              pretty excited about that and said that he would have
              some friends over and have a seedball party. One thing
              however is that a 300,000 acre fire went through that
              area into and So. Oregon. I was told that it went
              through Orleans. So I am going to email Geogre and
              find out if he made it through alright. He lives in a
              very remote area. I'll report on If he is alright.